Post Burnley Interview - Reading between the lines

randombc

Just a quick mention, when Clough was getting asked about Paul Greens situation, Colin said 'Would you be willing to put more money on the table?' and Clough replied with 'Not really, because that would hinder our plans for the summer.'

Now i don't know if it's the optimism in me or what, but would that hint at a few more signings, possibly a few quite expensive signings? Or is it the usual rubbish because season tickets are coming up for renewal in a few months?

Mcgugan... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a quick mention, when Clough was getting asked about Paul Greens situation, Colin said 'Would you be willing to put more money on the table?' and Clough replied with 'Not really, because that would hinder our plans for the summer.'

Now i don't know if it's the optimism in me or what, but would that hint at a few more signings, possibly a few quite expensive signings? Or is it the usual rubbish because season tickets are coming up for renewal in a few months?

Mcgugan...

I'd say you're right, seems that's what Clough is implying. Whether it's true, only time will tell.

I agree to waiting till summer for players. This transfer window sees prices inflated for players as teams either buy to escape relegation threat, which happily does not include us at present or teams pushing for promotion and Clough has already stated that not all his targets were not followed through and the targets identified were to help with push for top 6 position. This team are establishing themselves as it is relatively a new team and let them progress and build in summer. Not as many players needed to be brought or signed in summer as the one just gone past

Yes you could read it that way, if you were clutching at straws.

We have no money, and we have a wage structure that means that expensive players are a thing of the past, Clough said he would like to keep Green but cant, yet we think we are going to bring Mcgugan in ???

Yes you could read it that way, if you were clutching at straws.

We have no money, and we have a wage structure that means that expensive players are a thing of the past, Clough said he would like to keep Green but cant, yet we think we are going to bring Mcgugan in ???

Yes, Paul Green is THAT overpaid and his agent thinks he can convince someone else to likewise overpay him. Derby won't, that's for sure. I wouldn't be completely suprised to see Green stay on a reduced deal. Up to his agent though.

I can tell you our plans for the summer, without much research.

I assume there will be players out of contract that we will want to look at, and we have made at least 1 free signing from a championship club every year since Clough has been here, Croft, Roberts and Tyson... I assume there will be players who are 'hung and yungry... i mean, I mean... young and hungry' circa Bailey, Bryson, Fielding, Robinson, Moxey... AND I expect there to be ONE million pound signing, or close to that figure, I suspect a central midfielder to be brought in for fairly big money.

I can't see loads of players coming in, probably 5 or 6.. I assume a centre midfielder, left back and right winger will be high on the priority list.

Archived