Post Burnley Interview - Reading between the lines

randombc

Also on Paul Green, I suspect it's nothing more, nothing less than us not wanting to put him on the same wages as key players such as Barker, Shackell...etc and I for one agree, would like him to stick around as cover due to his versatility but we need to improve on him in the summer, he won't get in as a centre midfielder as he is 4th? choice and right wing needs improvement.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree to waiting till summer for players. This transfer window sees prices inflated for players as teams either buy to escape relegation threat, which happily does not include us at present or teams pushing for promotion and Clough has already stated that not all his targets were not followed through and the targets identified were to help with push for top 6 position. This team are establishing themselves as it is relatively a new team and let them progress and build in summer. Not as many players needed to be brought or signed in summer as the one just gone past

On the contrary,this is the window where clubs get whatever they can for good players who are out of contract in the summer.How do we know this? You can't beat experience.

Clough is always talking nowdays about being 2-4 players short of what he wants, but the team is more competative now than it was.

So, for me it will be an exercise of letting go of all those who are at the end of contracts that he doesn't want, and thus relieving the wage cap of some room, then going for (but not necessaraly getting) 3-4 other players in.

I also assume there will be a fee paid for one, it should be on a decent striker, but it wont be. We will be looking at a left back, and any other places he's thinking of. Wouldn't suprise me if Noble was one of them, but the fee may be too much for us even at £300,000 that has been quoted.

Clough is always talking nowdays about being 2-4 players short of what he wants, but the team is more competative now than it was.

So, for me it will be an exercise of letting go of all those who are at the end of contracts that he doesn't want, and thus relieving the wage cap of some room, then going for (but not necessaraly getting) 3-4 other players in.

I also assume there will be a fee paid for one, it should be on a decent striker, but it wont be. We will be looking at a left back, and any other places he's thinking of. Wouldn't suprise me if Noble was one of them, but the fee may be too much for us even at £300,000 that has been quoted.

Wouldn't surprise me either, think Sunderland will accept a bid that covers his wages until the end of the season (very minimal) doesn't look like he is going back there and with his contract running out in the summer then I think there was definitely something more motivated behind this loan.

A left back has been talked about and with Roberts out of contract, we need a replacement... the number 8 shirt has cobwebs on it and the right side of midfield is far from sorted.

I think these are definitely the positions we're looking at!

David Beckham has signed again for LA Galaxy, so we missed out on him. I can't see Manchester United being willing to let Antonio Valencia go for a 'Barker type fee', so we'll just have to play Steven Davies on the right next season. I wouldn't be disappointed with that outcome. Nor would I be disappointed if Gareth Roberts remained our first choice left back. I would like a fit Nathan Tyson next season. I don't see who he'd drop for a new midfield general, unless he played only one up front (with Jamie / Theo / S.Davies etc on the wing joining the attack).

David Beckham has signed again for LA Galaxy, so we missed out on him. I can't see Manchester United being willing to let Antonio Valencia go for a 'Barker type fee', so we'll just have to play Steven Davies on the right next season. I wouldn't be disappointed with that outcome. Nor would I be disappointed if Gareth Roberts remained our first choice left back. I would like a fit Nathan Tyson next season. I don't see who he'd drop for a new midfield general, unless he played only one up front (with Jamie / Theo / S.Davies etc on the wing joining the attack).

So you are saying that with the exception of the right mid, we have the best team in this league ?

Starting XI next year barring injuries

---------------------Fielding-------------------

Brayford----Barker----Shackell----New LB

New RM-----Bryson-----Bailey------Ward

--------------S.Davies-------Tyson-----------

Subs

Legzdins

O'Brien

Hendrick

Ball

Robinson

Starting XI next year barring injuries

---------------------Fielding-------------------

Brayford----Barker----Shackell----New LB

New RM-----Bryson-----Bailey------Ward

--------------S.Davies-------Tyson-----------

Subs

Legzdins

O'Brien

Hendrick

Ball

Robinson

Maybe a new striker ahead of Tyson? Other than that I like the look of that team 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

So you are saying that with the exception of the right mid, we have the best team in this league ?

Exactly what I said, word for word..... Well, except for this bit "with the exception of the right mid, we have the best team in this league ?". And I actually said I'd be happy with S.Davies on the right, so wouldn't technically change that (the only bit you highlighted). I am very happy with the current team, they are a group to be proud of that will only get better next season. But I don't see a day when we will ever be the best team in the league, I'd be content with second best, or lucky top six best.

Yes you could read it that way, if you were clutching at straws.

We have no money, and we have a wage structure that means that expensive players are a thing of the past, Clough said he would like to keep Green but cant, yet we think we are going to bring Mcgugan in ???

Hes off to Wolves

I'd imagine us to have a minimal net spend again so its a case of whatever you save you can spend. Green is an average champ player if he wants a higher wage then he should leave. He is nothing special.

Archived