The 'Rejects'?

Ram-man

Having just seen Tomas Cywka score a brace for the reserves, Dave Martin moving to Southend and Chris Maguire not being given a chance - does Nigel Clough just decide he doesn't like a player and then we never see them again?

Are we ever going to see the likes of Cywka or Maguire ahead of Connor Doyle in the pecking order? I was just wondering if anyone out there knew something that i don't about why these players are signed by Nigel and then not played by Nigel.

I know Cywka had his public humiliation, but why is Maguire not at least on the bench? He has scored when given the chance!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2

Having just seen Tomas Cywka score a brace for the reserves, Dave Martin moving to Southend and Chris Maguire not being given a chance - does Nigel Clough just decide he doesn't like a player and then we never see them again?

Are we ever going to see the likes of Cywka or Maguire ahead of Connor Doyle in the pecking order? I was just wondering if anyone out there knew something that i don't about why these players are signed by Nigel and then not played by Nigel.

I know Cywka had his public humiliation, but why is Maguire not at least on the bench? He has scored when given the chance!

Publicly they say that Maguire is one for the future and is part of their plans but they said the same about Martin and he clearly wasnt.

I think Clough senior did same with Asa Hartford and that ginger guy who went on to ,manage Forest paid a lot for them but never played them. Must be something about the players attitude that doesnt fit the Clough philosophy.

Maguire has got to earn his place, up to now he hasn't. As much research as you do on a player, you never really know him until he has signed and worked for you.

Maguire has got to earn his place, up to now he hasn't. As much research as you do on a player, you never really know him until he has signed and worked for you.

He seems to score enough for the reserves, isnt that earning your place? He was good against pompey but then dreadfull in the next two. We even played a kid in school in front of him. I cant see him in the plans at all and wouldny be suprised to see him off on loan back up to scotland

Clough likes to play mind games with these players.

I find it extremely fustrating to see Cywka out in the cold. Not sure what to make of that one.

As for Maguire, the message is for the team you give everything in the reserves and in training. If not, we're even prepared to play a school kid in front of you.

Ok, it's fustrating to see him left out - but every single one of our players is fighting to keep their place. Bailey, Ball, Robinson, Ward, Roberts, whoever - the moment they make a mistake they absolutely run themselves to the ground to make up for it.

That's the philosophy that Clough's trying to instill and it's pretty clear it doesn't matter how talented you are as a footballer, you have to fit in with it.

He seems to score enough for the reserves, isnt that earning your place? He was good against pompey but then dreadfull in the next two. We even played a kid in school in front of him. I cant see him in the plans at all and wouldny be suprised to see him off on loan back up to scotland

After his last performance in the first team where he just sat on his backside after losing the ball instead of trying to get it back, I think he has got a lot of earning to do. Maybe he will be packed off on loan but if they really do see a future for him, he would probably be better staying where he is to try and prove that he can do it.

Clough likes to play mind games with these players.

I find it extremely fustrating to see Cywka out in the cold. Not sure what to make of that one.

As for Maguire, the message is for the team you give everything in the reserves and in training. If not, we're even prepared to play a school kid in front of you.

Ok, it's fustrating to see him left out - but every single one of our players is fighting to keep their place. Bailey, Ball, Robinson, Ward, Roberts, whoever - the moment they make a mistake they absolutely run themselves to the ground to make up for it.

That's the philosophy that Clough's trying to instill and it's pretty clear it doesn't matter how talented you are as a footballer, you have to fit in with it.

Dead right. And so it should be. Much as I dislike them Man U and all top teams work fantastically hard. Have you watched Bara when they haven't got the ball? Hard work is a MUST. Any of you who think otherwise are deluding yourselves. We haven't yet got all the correct personel but we have, or at least seem to have, at last got the work ethic. Can some of you who post this stuff about Maguire and Cywka etc really not see?

You've mistimed it a bit mate. We normally slag Clough off after losing a few matches. Come back in March. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Derby County boss Nigel Clough has said several players could be leaving Pride Park in the January transfer window.

Defender Dean Leacock, 27, and winger David Martin, 26, have both not played this season and seem set to move, as does midfielder Stephen Pearson.

Pearson, 29, has been on loan at Bristol City and seems certain to make his loan move permanent this week.

Clough told BBC Radio Derby: "I think Stephen is pretty close to agreeing something with them."

Out-of-favour forward Tomasz Cywka has made just three Championship starts for the Rams this term and the 23-year-old is another player who could well be departing.

Clough said the club were weighing up their options and deciding who they might let go.

He said: "Who has contributed, who do we will need in the second half of the season, who can go out and get some football and experience?

"We are looking at each case individually and taking it from there."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16413701.stm

Clough has said why certain players do not get a game and what they need to do to change that. Some supporters are looking for an agenda that I do not believe is there. He has said it is simply down to players not doing what they are told to do during games.

Why do Doyle, and previously Croft, get a game ahead of Cywka? The answer is because they play to the Clough game plan and Cywka does not. Do you think the Clough outburst about him after the Portsmouth game last season was because he made one mistake that (arguably) gifted them an equalizer? I think not, rather it was a result of him consistently not playing to the game plan and this was the “last straw” as it, in Clough’s eyes, cost us two points. It was interesting that against Reading away this season, Clough asked Cywka to go man-to-man with their left back who was destroying us early in the game, what fans will remember is the goal Cywka scored what Clough will probably remember is Cywka leaving his man unmarked to get into the box...... He was dropped after that game despite scoring.

You can compile a detailed list of Cywka's errors but he's still better than Conor Doyle. Surely worth a spot on the bench if note else...

Obviously Clough does not agree with you, I have explained why I believe that is the case above.

Clough has said why certain players do not get a game and what they need to do to change that. Some supporters are looking for an agenda that I do not believe is there. He has said it is simply down to players not doing what they are told to do during games.

Why do Doyle, and previously Croft, get a game ahead of Cywka? The answer is because they play to the Clough game plan and Cywka does not. Do you think the Clough outburst about him after the Portsmouth game last season was because he made one mistake that (arguably) gifted them an equalizer? I think not, rather it was a result of him consistently not playing to the game plan and this was the “last straw” as it, in Clough’s eyes, cost us two points. It was interesting that against Reading away this season, Clough asked Cywka to go man-to-man with their left back who was destroying us early in the game, what fans will remember is the goal Cywka scored what Clough will probably remember is Cywka leaving his man unmarked to get into the box...... He was dropped after that game despite scoring.

Well put. I think you are spot on with that. After a couple of years of trying to drum it into Cywka what he needs to be doing to be part of the team, I think that it is time for NC to give up on him and move him on.

Archived