The 'Rejects'?

Ram-man

Clough has said why certain players do not get a game and what they need to do to change that. Some supporters are looking for an agenda that I do not believe is there. He has said it is simply down to players not doing what they are told to do during games.

Why do Doyle, and previously Croft, get a game ahead of Cywka? The answer is because they play to the Clough game plan and Cywka does not. Do you think the Clough outburst about him after the Portsmouth game last season was because he made one mistake that (arguably) gifted them an equalizer? I think not, rather it was a result of him consistently not playing to the game plan and this was the “last straw” as it, in Clough’s eyes, cost us two points. It was interesting that against Reading away this season, Clough asked Cywka to go man-to-man with their left back who was destroying us early in the game, what fans will remember is the goal Cywka scored what Clough will probably remember is Cywka leaving his man unmarked to get into the box...... He was dropped after that game despite scoring.

Ah right, he was dropped for scoring then, shame on him.

At least all the other players know where the priorities lie.

Maybe he should have got the ball outside the box, beat a couple of players, took it round the keeper and blasted it at the corner flag, then he'd still be in the squad.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That argument only works if you ignore the two goals we scored that were created down the Reading left, I think Clough would argue that had Cwyka stayed man-to-man rather than doing this when he wanted to and charging forward at other times it is true he would have not scored but probably neither would they twice and we would have won 1-0 rather than drawing 2-2.

You may disagree, I am simply articulating why I think Clough does not play Cwyka (and others but using Cwyka as the example). I am not passing judgement on either side of the argument. I simply posted because people are saying they cannot see why Cwyka is picked yet I believe that Clough has answered the question several times when asked to explain.

Possibly some on here and elsewhere confuse “I do not agree with Clough” and “Clough has not given an answer”?

It's well known that Clough likes players to have a certain character, both on and off the pitch, and no matter what scouting and research you do before you sign a player you might not really see that character until you work daily with the player. I have heard an allegation (which I can't confirm as fact, of course) to the effect that this is the case with Maguire. Doesn't matter how talented a player is, if he doesn't have the personal ethic that the manager is looking for in his players then he's always going to have that much more of a job to get into the team. For some managers this will matter more than for others, Clough I think being one for whom it is important.

If the allegation I heard was true then it would go some way to explain why he's not had much of a chance so far. It could just as easily be the case that, having signed Maguire and worked daily with him, the management are struggling to adapt his abilities into the team formation they want to play. He's not a centre-forward, he's not a central midfielder, he's not a winger - so where do exactly you play him for the benefit of the team?

This is the same argument that has been going on since October.

Unfortunately people are dragging this up again as I too feel people have an agenda, not because they want to see him play but because they want to have a pop at Clough.

Doyle is on the bench but how often has he played from the bench. He is not there to get a guaranteed time on the pitch but has cover if we need it. The same players seem to always come on and that seems to be a striker (theo/Ball/bennett (who in my opinion are all better players as well as team players then Cywka)), a midfielder and a defender if three subs used. Even if Cywka was on the bench he probably would not come on and would definately not change the game when he came on.

I think it was against Leeds when Theo came on and was not chasing balls down. There was a brief break in the game and Clough berated Theo for not chasing players, balls into the corner or putting pressure on the keeper. After that he changed his style of play and did the hard work running around putting pressure on.

Theo some would say is not skillful and his passing is not always the best. However he has score 7 goals (some said before season started he would not even get 5), puts pressure on defenders with his pace, never stops running is an out let for the defence when we are under pressure. All of which neither Maguire or Cywka have shown they could do.

It is on opinions but at present there is not one player in the team or squad I would drop for them at present as they do what they are told, there is balance in the team and the ethic is there for all to see.

Who would you drop out of in the team for Cywka and Maguire

Green, Bryson, Hendrick, Bailey, Ben Davies (prob some would say athough I wouldn't), Ward, Robinson, Steve Davies, Ball, Tyson - This is 9 players and on top of this you have Brayford, Roberts, Shackell, Barker and Fielding a further 5. That leaves 2 places in the matchday 16, one of the 2 has to be a defender and then Leggy in goal.

So no place for them at present and they have to earn their place and show they can stick to a game plan that the manager decides. Over to them now.

Every season managers up and down the country have to make decisions for the benefit of their team that mean some players miss out on playing for the first team. The other day Ferguson dropped Rooney and they went and lost to Blackburn. Players have to earn the right to play no matter how talented they are. Clough has a philosophy he wants to install in his players. Some players have to be made an example of if they dont show the right attitude. One sub appearance or cameo display in the reserves and they can earn another chance. The door is still ajar.

Archived