Barry Hearn and Mark Allen Snooker Row

-JW-

World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn has dismissed Mark Allen's criticism of him as that of "a silly little boy".

Allen, 25, claimed Hearn had shown a disregard for the players by shortening matches in early rounds of the UK Championship to best-of-11 frames.

Hearn refused to rule out legal action, but told BBC Sport that he was "far too busy to worry about silly little boys making silly little comments".

Allen said the possibility of legal action was "a little bit childish".

The world number 12 is due to face a disciplinary charge for his outburst - although the World Professional Billiard & Snooker Association will investigate his use of a swear word rather than his criticism of Hearn.

Hearn disputed the Northern Irishman's claims that he had damaged the UK Championship by changing its format.

He said: "It is a shame [the comments] have overshadowed a first-class tournament. I've been watching it and enjoying it and the crowds are up.

"People say silly things, we all say silly things, but I am happy to let the disciplinary committee deal with it."

Allen insists he will stand by his call for Hearn to resign after claiming the 63-year-old failed to fulfill a promise to keep the UK Championship and World Championship unchanged.

"Last time I checked all the players had freedom of speech and that was my opinion at the end of the day," Allen told BBC Radio 5 live.

"If he wants to get offended with it that is his problem. If he wants to take legal action that is no problem, I will fight it all the way.

"It is a little bit childish. I thought Barry was a bit longer in the tooth than that for that sort of carry on."

Allen added that he would be prepared to discuss his differences with Hearn to avoid the dispute heading to the courts.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn has dismissed Mark Allen's criticism of him as that of "a silly little boy".

Allen, 25, claimed Hearn had shown a disregard for the players by shortening matches in early rounds of the UK Championship to best-of-11 frames.

Hearn refused to rule out legal action, but told BBC Sport that he was "far too busy to worry about silly little boys making silly little comments".

Allen said the possibility of legal action was "a little bit childish".

The world number 12 is due to face a disciplinary charge for his outburst - although the World Professional Billiard & Snooker Association will investigate his use of a swear word rather than his criticism of Hearn.

Hearn disputed the Northern Irishman's claims that he had damaged the UK Championship by changing its format.

He said: "It is a shame [the comments] have overshadowed a first-class tournament. I've been watching it and enjoying it and the crowds are up.

"People say silly things, we all say silly things, but I am happy to let the disciplinary committee deal with it."

Allen insists he will stand by his call for Hearn to resign after claiming the 63-year-old failed to fulfill a promise to keep the UK Championship and World Championship unchanged.

"Last time I checked all the players had freedom of speech and that was my opinion at the end of the day," Allen told BBC Radio 5 live.

"If he wants to get offended with it that is his problem. If he wants to take legal action that is no problem, I will fight it all the way.

"It is a little bit childish. I thought Barry was a bit longer in the tooth than that for that sort of carry on."

Allen added that he would be prepared to discuss his differences with Hearn to avoid the dispute heading to the courts.

Mark Allen is a disgrace.

When Hearn took over snooker, there were 6 tournaments a year. There is now a tournament nearly every week and the game is starting to flourish.

The main reason Allen has had a go is because Hearn has altered the format of one of snookers majors. Yes, Hearn has gone back on his word to leave the format of the majors alone but you cannot argue with the popularity of the new format.

Most snooker pros struggled to make a living before Hearn took over as there were so few tournaments. Even when those tournaments came around, the players were so out of match practice they struggled for form. That has all changed round now.

The rise in form of the lower ranked players has out more pressure on the likes of Allen so that's another likely reason why he is unhappy.

I don't agree with the part about legal action however. We live in a democracy whereby freedom of speech is our right. Let's keep it that way please.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. You'll regret those comments Allen.

Ive met Hearn whilst i was playing on the darts circuit.He is a businessman,and a bloody good one.He knows what sells and he has done a fabulous job with darts(although its a little OTT sometimes).I dont think that snooker warrants the same razzamatazz.It is a diffent sport altogether but Hearn will try to get it to a similar level.

Archived