RIP Louie Jacob Sharp

ram2767

Sharp thanks Derby for 'touching' gesture of black armbands in memory of baby son

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER

Last updated at 11:08 AM on 3rd November 2011

Comments (1)

Add to My Stories

Billy Sharp has paid tribute to Derby County after their players wore black armbands in support of the Doncaster striker, whose baby son died at the weekend.

Sharp lost Louie Jacob on Saturday but struck the opening goal in Doncaster's 3-1 defeat to Middlesbrough on Tuesday before unveiling a T-shirt bearing the words 'that's for you son'.

Fans and players at the Keepmoat Stadium gave a minute's applause to celebrate Louie Jacob's short life and Derby continued the tributes on Wednesday during their Championship match against Cardiff.

Tribute: Jason Shackell (centre) was one Derby player wearing a black armband

Nigel Clough's side did not enjoy a happy night on the pitch, beaten 3-0 by the Bluebirds, but Sharp praised the Rams for their gesture.

He said on Twitter: 'Just like to thank derby county football club if its true that the team wore black arm bands as a mark of respect. #touching'

Sharp has opened his heart on dealing with his sadness. In a series of posts on Twitter on Wednesday he wrote: 'To captain the side tonite was an honour and a pleasure, the minute applause I was crying meant so much to me thanks to both sets of fans.

'My goal tonight was the most important goal of my career dedicated to my brave boy luey jacob sharp I love u son sleep tight. thatsforyouson.

That's for you son: Billy Sharp dedicated his goal on Tuesday to Louie Jacob

Minute's applause: Doncaster paid tribute to Louie Jacob before their game

'My goal had to be something special tonight for my special boy. I'm so proud of him, and his mum @jadecarlie86.

'Seriously again its took me 2 hours to read all my tweets I'm in total shock for all ur support u have shown,love to you all.

'I am absolutely overwhelmed with the support from ppl all over the world has given to me tonite, I really can't thank u all enough. amazing.'

After the match, Doncaster manager Dean Saunders revealed the trauma Sharp has been through, by saying: 'I know what has been going on all week, the finer detail, and it is worse than you might think.

Anguish: Sharp (left) showed his conflicting emotions when leaving the pitch on Tuesday

'But Billy rang me last night and said he wanted to play because he wanted to score a goal for his son. He hasn't trained, but when he said that, I couldn't refuse.

'He is going to be feeling the pain for a long time yet. But maybe the best thing for him is to come in and train with his mates. This has been hanging over him for a while, but perhaps he can turn over a leaf now and begin to get on with things.

'What is really pleasing is that he banged in a goal for his son, which is all he wanted to do. It was like the story had already been written, and I'm really proud of him. It tells you everything about him.'

Sharp's girlfriend Jade Fair also sent the following tweet: '@billysharp10 & I are grateful for the love and support we have received. Daddy did Luey proud tonight.Sleep tight angel.'

Referee Darren Deadman was praised afterwards for using common sense and not issuing the standard yellow card for Sharp's celebration.

More...

Doncaster star Sharp hails fans after emotional applause for son who died at two days

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2057030/Billy-Sharp-thanks-Derby-black-armbands-gesture-death-baby-son.html

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no crying smilie - if there was, I'd use it now.

Thanks for posting that Hucknall.

I'm glad that by wearing those armbands, the Sharp family had a moment of comfort because the place they are in now is dark, horrible and bleak. It really is the worst.

Will they get over it? No, but over time their mourning will ease somewhat and only then will they be able to try and come to terms with their loss. The most important thing is now for them to help each other get through each day, assisted by family, friends and colleagues, as we've seen with this article.

Respect to Nigel too - what a decent way to show DCFC's thought's of support. Sometimes it's not all about what happens on the pitch.

• 1 month later...

Some Barnsley fans reported to have been singing 'where's your baby gone' to Sharp today.

Absolutely disgusting. I think the FA should make Barnsley trawl through CCTV and find every single one of them that was singing and ban them for life, or play behind closed doors for 5 home games.

I doubt it's true and if it is it will be a minority of sick ********. People are calling for all the Oakwell stands doors to be locked for the rest of the season. Twitter sensationalises anything. It's ridiculous.

I'm sure some people will have said it - odd thing to just make up.

And it's always going to be a minority - hardly going to be 15,000 people shouting it, are there.

Doors locked for the rest of the season is harsh but if it is true they need to show they are acting to find the culprits.

Billy Sharp has just tweeted:

I didnt hear anything apart from u fat b.........d and fat sheffield reject,but i proved i wasnt fat for the 1st goal. #strongfatsheffielder

But if there was a few people chanting that then i hope your proud of yourself,but i cant imagine any1 been so disrespectful.

I hope not 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' /> I'd be ashamed of me Barnsley kin if this was the case. If somebody did do it, they should find them, make them apologise in person to Mr Sharp and be banned immediately. People who sing these things (from whichever club) really make me sick. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' />

The sad thing is though, it still happens.

I know a couple of Tykes fans who are utterly disgusted by the idiots who were chanting this, its the noisy minority who make the headlines unfortunately.

I'm sure the vast majority of fans find the behaviour of those responsible at Oakwell utterly despicable. It was just a few mindless fans apparantly and not the vast majority of the Tykes fans who were chanting.

apparently one person tried to start the chanting, a few people told him to shut up and some even boo'd him.

They're going to look at the tapes and ban him for life.

For me, if this is true (and I have read elsewhere what you have written) it is right up there with racism and other hate crimes they are so keen to punish these days. I'd ban him for life after giving him a custodial sentence and letting everybody in the country know who he is so he can be despised for the rest of his days.

apparently one person tried to start the chanting, a few people told him to shut up and some even boo'd him.

They're going to look at the tapes and ban him for life.

Just had a squiz on the Tykes forum - they are going mental with whoever did this chant and a couple of fans turned on them and threatened to rip their heads off if they didn't shut it. They are worried this will give the fans a bad name for what a tiny minority did. The mods are also having words with certain people before they post too and I from what I've read, they intend to keep their ears open at matches for anything said in the future.

I've been to loads of Barnsley matches over the years and I never heard owt except what is deemed as normal banter. I had a member of my family there that day and they didn't hear anything, except the calling of Sheffield reject, to which Billy responded to with a smile.

What doesn't help the Tyke faithful (and the majority are really decent folk) is that it's been printed in the Metro and pounced on.

I went to barnsley years ago, one of the friendliest clubs and supporters you could imagine, me and me oad man drank in most of the local pubs, full of home supporters and i was wearin me shirt. Talked to loads of people and had a great time. Bar Oldham i think they are prob the friendliest bunch of supporters in the country.

But with every club you always get a few arse eds. Find out who they are and put em individually in a room with billy and tell em to say it to his face.

Just read on Sky sports page that AFC Telford have launched an enquiry into alleged chants made by Wrexham regarding Gary Speed. A Wrexham fan complained and it caused upset for other fans who heard it.

Who the feck are these ****** who chant these cruel things????? Boot em out!! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' />

It only takes one mindless person to start a chant and a few idiots to follow that persons lead. I'm know that the vast majority of Tykes fans would find the actions of these few "fans" despicable (fans, used loosely here). I hope those responsible can be tracked down and made to write an apology to Billy's family and to the vast majority of decent Barnsley fans who may have heard them chanting.

Tensions run high in local derby matches and obviously one or two individuals overstepped the boundary big time on this one. A ban makes it easy for them, writing an apology to the family will make them think about what they have done. An apology to other Tykes fans for the shame brought on the club by this act will let them see how outraged other fans are by this.

• 1 month later...

Archived