Wayne Rooney receives 3 game ban

CumbrianRam

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wikipedia makes him look good, but it's not all about wiki stats.

Did you watch Spain on Tuesday? Or, for that matter, any game they've played in the least few years?

Rooney has not played for England like any of Spain's players did on Tuesday. Yes, Rooney chips in with a moderately impressive amount of goals - but where are the world class peformances? He's a world class player, for goodness sake. It would be nice if he actually looked like one for once in an England shirt.

We put way too much pressure on him to perform and he usually fails to deliver properly; he scores plenty without performing, which is some measure of his ability. But I'd rather watch a team of Chamionship players losing but playing out of their bloody skins at Wembley than a team of talented players struggling to perform against countries smaller than Bristol.

Exactly.....who does Rooney have behind him to give him a decentet ball......? Fat Frank.....Barry?......Unlucky Theo?....Young..?

This is the reason he might not look world class on occasions....the last time he had a decent midfielder playing behind him (Scholes) he tore the Euro's to pieces, and single handedly dragged us out of the group stage, and if he hadn't broken his foot we could have won it.

Exactly.....who does Rooney have behind him to give him a decentet ball......? Fat Frank.....Barry?......Unlucky Theo?....Young..?

This is the reason he might not look world class on occasions....the last time he had a decent midfielder playing behind him (Scholes) he tore the Euro's to pieces, and single handedly dragged us out of the group stage, and if he hadn't broken his foot we could have won it.

Fair point!

Some people really are pathetic.. Wayne Rooney a thug? Unbelievable. He's the best English footballer by a mile with true passion for the game. How can anyone say they think Welbeck is better than Rooney? If I was him I'd be glad I'm not playing for people like you lot. No doubt if he scores in the quarter final you'll all be going mental. Gggggggrrrrr rant over. For every negative there should be a positive.. At least this leaves room for callium ball in the England team.

If lashing out at another player by kicking them is considered "passion" these days then I'd rather not watch the game.

A three-game ban is lenient. There's no place for that sort of thing in the modern game.

If lashing out at another player by kicking them is considered "passion" these days then I'd rather not watch the game.

A three-game ban is lenient. There's no place for that sort of thing in the modern game.

So what's this "modern" game ?

So what's this "modern" game ?

You youngsters today with your flash pink football boots and kicking other players. Back in my day you were told to use shoulders only. If I were in charge...

In all seriousness, he's got off lightly. You can't do that. Rough challenges are expected (Jack Rodwell's "sending off" was one of the finest challenges I've seen) and you expect some push and shove. But kicking another player? Not a chance, he's lucky to only be missing three games

You youngsters today with your flash pink football boots and kicking other players. Back in my day you were told to use shoulders only. If I were in charge...

In all seriousness, he's got off lightly. You can't do that. Rough challenges are expected (Jack Rodwell's "sending off" was one of the finest challenges I've seen) and you expect some push and shove. But kicking another player? Not a chance, he's lucky to only be missing three games

totally agree, it was a really pathetic kick out by Rooney.and he deseres the ban....Wellbeck would have missed the leg by the way....and Walcott...well...ha ha

You obviously never saw Glyn Davies back in the day.

He used to cream the right winger and walk off, didn't wait for the ref 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

It was a stupid thing to do. I agree he deserves the ban. But that's got to be a big blow for England and Rooney.

Englands second best player is the rapidly declining Ashley Cole? After that?....... Wilshere who's still growing into his shirt. Then...... flippin' heck! A slowly declining Gerrard? A decent but nowhere near world class Ashley Young.

England should take Rooney imo. Try and get through the group then stick him straight in. It's been ages since he showed anything like Man Utd form for England, but if your 1-0 to Germany, Spain, Holland in the QF who's the only man that could drag you kicking and screaming back into the game? I could only vaguely imagine Rooney.

Rooney is world class, and the only one we have.. He's the only player that could create any sort of spark..

Plus there's absoloutely no point looking at stats to judge how good a player is.. Darren Bent and Peter Crouch scores more goals than Rooney, does that make them better?

Scoring goals isn't the most important part about being a footballer.. All round play counts for so much more.. My favourite player Iniesta rarely scores, though he makes up for it in assists, but more importantly his ability to keep the ball and be creative.. He has been named the best player in the world on many occasions by other players just for his amazing ability to keep teams ticking over..

I see this in Rooney also, though not on Inis level, Rooney has the trememndous ability to keep us ticking over and he's the only person we have that can salvage something out of nothing.. Even when he's not scoring or when the ball doesn't quite stick, what he possesses is still far more valuable than any other England player that we have.

If he played for England like he did for Man U then fair enough but he's had 3 tournaments now and he's not turned in a single world-class peformance in any of them. That's not good enough for a world class player.

The Croatia game from Euro 2004 was, in fact most of that tournament he was amazing, til his injury.

Rooney is world class, and the only one we have.. He's the only player that could create any sort of spark..

Plus there's absoloutely no point looking at stats to judge how good a player is.. Darren Bent and Peter Crouch scores more goals than Rooney, does that make them better?

Scoring goals isn't the most important part about being a footballer.. All round play counts for so much more.. My favourite player Iniesta rarely scores, though he makes up for it in assists, but more importantly his ability to keep the ball and be creative.. He has been named the best player in the world on many occasions by other players just for his amazing ability to keep teams ticking over..

I see this in Rooney also, though not on Inis level, Rooney has the trememndous ability to keep us ticking over and he's the only person we have that can salvage something out of nothing.. Even when he's not scoring or when the ball doesn't quite stick, what he possesses is still far more valuable than any other England player that we have.

Not sure I agree that he's our only world class player, I'm looking at Ashley Young. He's shown a lot of promise in the past with Villa, and seems to have excelled thus far at Manchester United.

Manchester United are key to our success next year in the Euro Champs - Jones, Smalling, Ferdinand, (Jonny Evans?), (Carrick?), Young, (Cleverly?), Welbeck and lunatic Rooney.

Bolded those we can expect to see some progression from over the course of the season.

As a strike force of Engish players, we've got Bent (not a fan), Agbonlahor (lightning), Welbeck, Walcott, Crouch...anybody I missed? Barring Rooney of course.

For the national squad, I don't think we'd need to play Rooney as a striker. In fact, he's so out of the game up top he grows frustrated and kicks players in frustration. Play him in midfield, play him as the play maker (Silva/Iniesta/Jack Cork 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />). That way he's involved in more or less everything, in the build up play and will also have more chances to score than he would if he was a striker. I'm absolutely certain he'd be better off in that position.

F@*< it, a formation.

------------------Hart-----------------

Richards-Jones-Ferdinand-Cole (Richards or Smalling or whoever)

----------------Parker---------------

---------Rooney-Gerrard---------

Walcott---------------------Young

-------------Agbonlahor------------ (I like Agbonlahor, but maybe not technicaly gifted, Welbeck?).

I've noticed when Spain are forward which is admittedly most of the time, they have support in numbers going forward. They play in and around the 18 yard box.

You'd expect your wing backs to support the flanks, push Rooney and Gerrard up when in attack and keep the possession around their box rather than in the centre of the pitch.

I've just won the Euro Champs.

Ashley Young world class 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

Given he is 26, what has he actually done in his carrer that makes him world class, he has won what ?

He is a good player, but world class ? no wonder why people rate theo as a player if this is the standard for world class. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Archived