Wayne Rooney receives 3 game ban

CumbrianRam

Increasingly, he's becoming a liability.

Over the last few months, since the contract saga at United, he seemed to have calmed down, but I don't think many people feel totally comfortable when he's charging for a 50/50 ball. He'll either win it perfectly, or get a red card, and that's a massive risk. It might be called passion but it's not what England need in a pressure cooker situation. This latest episode will make people believe he's done nothing to sort out his temper.

I don't think he's a thug but I do think he lacks the intelligence to become, as 'Arry would say, a top, top player. Like Messi.

Unless we're dealt a terrible hand we should qualify from the group anyway, and I would always take Rooney. I just think whoever succeeds Capello needs to think long and hard about how Rooney can be used in big match situations. He's not a kid anymore, and we can't blame it on inexperience. Perhaps it wasn't the best idea playing him in Montenegro given the circumstances with his Dad (who probably won a fortune), but I get the feeling he's capable of doing that any game he plays in.

Perhaps the best way to sum him up was the goal he scored against Newcastle a couple (?) of seasons ago. He was ranting and moaning to the ref, the ball came to him and he stopped moaning for a second to smack it in the top corner. Jekyll and Hyde.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't see how taking Rooney makes sense now.

We take 3 or 4 forwards, and they get us through the groups - you suggest we drop one of them for Rooney?

If we get past the group stage, I think whoever is up front deserves to keep their place. And by that time, if we lose - too late to drop anyone.

Rooney's behaviour has cost him a Euro's, for me.

Can't see how taking Rooney makes sense now.

We take 3 or 4 forwards, and they get us through the groups - you suggest we drop one of them for Rooney?

If we get past the group stage, I think whoever is up front deserves to keep their place. And by that time, if we lose - too late to drop anyone.

Rooney's behaviour has cost him a Euro's, for me.

So do you think that Spain would not select their best player if the same thing happened to them, or Germany .

England could get a relatively easy group, and qualify, but then hit the big boys in the quarters, when Rooney would be brought in, and yes I would drop someone to play him, he is our best player.

So do you think that Spain would not select their best player if the same thing happened to them, or Germany .

England could get a relatively easy group, and qualify, but then hit the big boys in the quarters, when Rooney would be brought in, and yes I would drop someone to play him, he is our best player.

I think it's harsh to the players who get us through the groups if we qualify. You don't change a winning team (unless your name is Nigel - and that had mixed results anorl).

Some of the comments on here absolutely astound me. I cant be bothered to go through them all and laugh at them all but some of them....well..

Rooney, is, without question, the best English player we have at this moment. He and Ashley Cole are the only two players in the squad who can be genuinely called world class.

The three game ban is completely justified, he deserves it, but to suggest he wont go is completely laughable.

Fabio will have already put his name on the squad list, and as soon as he is available he will get picked.

Danny Welbeck and Sturridge are JUST ABOUT good enough to clean his boots, JUST...but to mention picking them ahead of him, is well...completely crazy.

Rooney is the one player who COULD win us the tournament. (i am not saying for one second that we will win it by the way, i think that Italy might just do it) but without him, we will definitely win nothing.

And finally, to suggest that you would be more worried if Young or WALCOTT were suspended...I almost pooped my pants laughing...go on to the race course at 10:00 on Sunday morning and you will see 50 maybe 60 players better than Theo "unlucky" Walcott.....the phrases "cross come shot" and "over hit cross" and "under hit cross" and "wants to play down the middle but isn't good enough" etc etc spring to mind.

Get a grip the lot of you, and get behind them, we have a CHANCE of winning it, only a small one...but a chance.

Some of the comments on here absolutely astound me. I cant be bothered to go through them all and laugh at them all but some of them....well..

Rooney, is, without question, the best English player we have at this moment. He and Ashley Cole are the only two players in the squad who can be genuinely called world class.

The three game ban is completely justified, he deserves it, but to suggest he wont go is completely laughable.

Fabio will have already put his name on the squad list, and as soon as he is available he will get picked.

Danny Welbeck and Sturridge are JUST ABOUT good enough to clean his boots, JUST...but to mention picking them ahead of him, is well...completely crazy.

Rooney is the one player who COULD win us the tournament. (i am not saying for one second that we will win it by the way, i think that Italy might just do it) but without him, we will definitely win nothing.

And finally, to suggest that you would be more worried if Young or WALCOTT were suspended...I almost pooped my pants laughing...go on to the race course at 10:00 on Sunday morning and you will see 50 maybe 60 players better than Theo "unlucky" Walcott.....the phrases "cross come shot" and "over hit cross" and "under hit cross" and "wants to play down the middle but isn't good enough" etc etc spring to mind.

Get a grip the lot of you, and get behind them, we have a CHANCE of winning it, only a small one...but a chance.

Good post I disagree with the last bit, England have no chance of winning. If you take Spain out of it and they could put two teams out who would beat England in the heat of summer, you also have Germany and Holland who have much more overall quality. I don't think England will ever stand a chance in hot weather conditions, in cold weather it might be a different story.

I'm not denying Rooney's our best player, or that he's currently miles better than Sturridge. Please listen to me.

But he's never ever had a performance like David Silva or Messi or Tevez or David Villa or Arjen Robben or Samir Nasri.

And we know he can. And yet he doesn't.

When was the last time Wayne Rooney won us a serious football match?

Rooney's played in 2 World Cups and not scored a goal,just saying

he's still our best player whatever you think of him as a person and he will be going to the euros

That's my point!

If he played for England like he did for Man U then fair enough but he's had 3 tournaments now and he's not turned in a single world-class peformance in any of them. That's not good enough for a world class player.

Don't take him. Don't prepare yourself to be dissapointed. Don't prepare yourself to have a system which revolves around one player who always underperforms.

I'd rather have Welbeck or Sturridge than Rooney because - and please posters understand what I'm saying - I can't see them performing below their ownability in quite the same way as Rooney. Yes, they probably wouldn't break down Germany or Italy, but I'd rather watch young players giving it their all than watching a supposedly world-class player struggle to control a football against Algeria.

We don't need him. He's not going to win us a tournament anytime soon.

That's my point!

If he played for England like he did for Man U then fair enough but he's had 3 tournaments now and he's not turned in a single world-class peformance in any of them. That's not good enough for a world class player.

Don't take him. Don't prepare yourself to be dissapointed. Don't prepare yourself to have a system which revolves around one player who always underperforms.

I'd rather have Welbeck or Sturridge than Rooney because - and please posters understand what I'm saying - I can't see them performing below their ownability in quite the same way as Rooney. Yes, they probably wouldn't break down Germany or Italy, but I'd rather watch young players giving it their all than watching a supposedly world-class player struggle to control a football against Algeria.

I don't think anyone is going to win us a tournament any time soon, mainly because the squad isn't strong enough. But then, you might as well take your best players, surely? He might be the difference between England getting knocked out of the Quarters or the Semis.

Playing young players too early is one of the reasons we're in this mess. Top national teams like Spain and Brazil respect the U16, 17, and 21 tournaments. We just identify someone who's good and chuck them in a senior competition. It's little wonder the crumble, and the like of Thomas Mueller walk rings round us when the pressure is on. They've been in a tournament environment two or three times and know the drill.

I'd like to see us take the youth tournaments alot more seriously - they could breed the stars of the future. But I can't help feeling that message will fall on deaf ears.

Personally, I wouldn't take anyone 21 or under if they hadn't been in tournament before.

That's my point!

As a striker he needs service and we don't produce the quality of creative midfielder you need to operate succesfully in hot weather tournament conditions. Yes we produce the powerful strong-running midfielders like Lampard and Gerrard but in my 30 years of watching England we have only produced 1 top class creator in Gazza. Spain have about 5 at the moment Silva and Fabregas struggle to get in when everybody is fit. It's the way they are taught from an early age.

I don't think anyone is going to win us a tournament any time soon, mainly because the squad isn't strong enough. But then, you might as well take your best players, surely? He might be the difference between England getting knocked out of the Quarters or the Semis.

Playing young players too early is one of the reasons we're in this mess. Top national teams like Spain and Brazil respect the U16, 17, and 21 tournaments. We just identify someone who's good and chuck them in a senior competition. It's little wonder the crumble, and the like of Thomas Mueller walk rings round us when the pressure is on. They've been in a tournament environment two or three times and know the drill.

I'd like to see us take the youth tournaments alot more seriously - they could breed the stars of the future. But I can't help feeling that message will fall on deaf ears.

Personally, I wouldn't take anyone 21 or under if they hadn't been in tournament before.

I wouldn't mourn any particular player's ban from the senior squad. Apart from Hart or Jones.

But Welbeck and Sturridge will both be over 21 when the tournmanet arrives. Lets put them in now. This generation isn't going to win anything, lets see how close the next one gets. Let's forgo a couple of tournaments, but give the next generation time to gel. I agree, we chuck young players in too soon; the Spanish team has play together for years before they become seniors, which is why they know each other so well.

But Spain have been selecting Thiago, Brazil have been selecting Damiao, Neymar, Sandro and Rodrigues Lucas and Germany have been playing Gotze and Schrulle. An awful lot of those players in that list have been picked over countrymen who, at present, are probably better than them. It's all about nuturing.

I just say why not give them a go when Bent, Rooney, Crouch et al aren't up to much anyway.

We're still going to be no-where near there. McEachran, Cleverley, Barkley...maybe even Benett (!) all look promisng, but not good enough to challenge Spain.

He cost us dearly in the World cup, and would be a liability to any manager unless they enjoy having a ten man team. he is a great player on his day and could set the tournament alight if he could control his temper. He is often anonymous in a match.

Could be that fabio is relieved to have the decision NOT to play him taken out of his hands for the next 3 games.

I wouldn't mourn any particular player's ban from the senior squad. Apart from Hart or Jones.

But Welbeck and Sturridge will both be over 21 when the tournmanet arrives. Lets put them in now. This generation isn't going to win anything, lets see how close the next one gets. Let's forgo a couple of tournaments, but give the next generation time to gel. I agree, we chuck young players in too soon; the Spanish team has play together for years before they become seniors, which is why they know each other so well.

But Spain have been selecting Thiago, Brazil have been selecting Damiao, Neymar, Sandro and Rodrigues Lucas and Germany have been playing Gotze and Schrulle. An awful lot of those players in that list have been picked over countrymen who, at present, are probably better than them. It's all about nuturing.

I just say why not give them a go when Bent, Rooney, Crouch et al aren't up to much anyway.

We're still going to be no-where near there. McEachran, Cleverley, Barkley...maybe even Benett (!) all look promisng, but not good enough to challenge Spain.

I get your point, and agree with parts - but the players in bold, if chucked straight in, are going to choke at some point later in their careers. And that is down to lack of tournament exposure. BUT they could be good enough to challange Spain in the future - if they're given the right development.

Imagine a young lad like McEachran. Probably never been away from home before, and gets thrown in to unfamiliar surroundings for four weeks in one of the world's most important sport competitions. Homesickness and pressure will probably kick in. If a player has been going to these kind of tournaments since they were 16 or 17, they're hardened to it. They know what to expect.

Goetze has played at every level from U-15. Ozil played in tournaments at U-21 and U-19 level. It's no wonder he looked so at home at the World Cup last year.

Rooney's played in 2 World Cups and not scored a goal,just saying

he's still our best player whatever you think of him as a person and he will be going to the euros

How many goals as world beater Messi scored in World Cups?

Messi 18 in 63 games for Argetina

Rooney 28 in 73 games for England

I get your point, and agree with parts - but the players in bold, if chucked straight in, are going to choke at some point later in their careers. And that is down to lack of tournament exposure. BUT they could be good enough to challange Spain in the future - if they're given the right development.

Imagine a young lad like McEachran. Probably never been away from home before, and gets thrown in to unfamiliar surroundings for four weeks in one of the world's most important sport competitions. Homesickness and pressure will probably kick in. If a player has been going to these kind of tournaments since they were 16 or 17, they're hardened to it. They know what to expect.

Goetze has played at every level from U-15. Ozil played in tournaments at U-21 and U-19 level. It's no wonder he looked so at home at the World Cup last year.

Sorry, you misunderstood me, I wasn't arguing that we should be playing those players in bold. I just want us to give some of the 21-24 year olds a chance. They haven't cocked anything up yet.

I was saying we should keep those sort of players in the youth set-up as long as possible, like you were saying. But that applies to players like McEachran and Barkley, not Sturridge and Welbeck, which is what I was trying to say.

Although I still say its too late for them to be like Spain; Spanish kids get 5 times as many hours training than English ones, so when they get to 16, chances are their ball control and understanding of the game is nowhere near Spanish levels. Then there's the technical stuff - or, rather, the lack of it. English football is still more about running about and making yourself look useful. We're getting there, but it's still a little early to see English youngsters that will develop to be world-beaters in my eyes. I hope I'm wrong though!

I'm not denying Rooney's our best player, or that he's currently miles better than Sturridge. Please listen to me.

But he's never ever had a performance like David Silva or Messi or Tevez or David Villa or Arjen Robben or Samir Nasri.

And we know he can. And yet he doesn't.

When was the last time Wayne Rooney won us a serious football match?

Just a quick look on the amazing Wikipedia.....

Rooney 78 games 28 goals= 1 goal every 2.8 games

The amazing Nasri 27 games a massive 3 goals....1 goal every 9 games (AWESOME) (and only 2 assits in 1 and a half years at Arsenal by the way.

The super Silva 52 games 13 goals, 1 goal every 4 games

The handsome and loyal Tevez, 59 games 13 goals, 1 goal every 4.5 games

the Magician Messi 63 games 18 goals, 1 goal every 3.5 games

The Aston Villa 80 games 50 goals, 1 goal every 1.6 games (now THAT is some serious goalscoring record)

The faithful Robben 53 games 15 goals, 1 goal every 3.5 games.

So according to your list....well, Rooney's not too bad is he...?

Just a quick look on the amazing Wikipedia.....

Rooney 78 games 28 goals= 1 goal every 2.8 games

The amazing Nasri 27 games a massive 3 goals....1 goal every 9 games (AWESOME) (and only 2 assits in 1 and a half years at Arsenal by the way.

The super Silva 52 games 13 goals, 1 goal every 4 games

The handsome and loyal Tevez, 59 games 13 goals, 1 goal every 4.5 games

the Magician Messi 63 games 18 goals, 1 goal every 3.5 games

The Aston Villa 80 games 50 goals, 1 goal every 1.6 games (now THAT is some serious goalscoring record)

The faithful Robben 53 games 15 goals, 1 goal every 3.5 games.

So according to your list....well, Rooney's not too bad is he...?

Wikipedia makes him look good, but it's not all about wiki stats.

Did you watch Spain on Tuesday? Or, for that matter, any game they've played in the least few years?

Rooney has not played for England like any of Spain's players did on Tuesday. Yes, Rooney chips in with a moderately impressive amount of goals - but where are the world class peformances? He's a world class player, for goodness sake. It would be nice if he actually looked like one for once in an England shirt.

We put way too much pressure on him to perform and he usually fails to deliver properly; he scores plenty without performing, which is some measure of his ability. But I'd rather watch a team of Chamionship players losing but playing out of their bloody skins at Wembley than a team of talented players struggling to perform against countries smaller than Bristol.

Archived