Under 16s victory shield-Mason Bennett

-JW-

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah gonna be a few sniffing round after this performance, Deano talking him up nicely too, just go and get the hat-trick now son...

it's pretty shitty that all the best talent resides in the prem but it's inevitable really, i guess. Hopefully we can keep him long enough for him to play at least a full season for us in the future.

Good performance in a 3-1 win (Mason got 2 goals and an assist), playing the number 10 role, linked play, pacey and good in the air. Him and Kwame Thomas (Derby's other England youth international) have bright futures and can see them both staying here as they'll get a chance.

I rate Benett higher than Thomas. Thomas was born with puberty and he looks better than his age group because he's stronger and faster than the rest of them. I think the other areas of his game need developing.

Benett is quick and relatively strong but you can tell he's got growing to do. I'm really hopeful about him, he looked like the real deal tonight.

Nice to hear that our two youngsters doing well and impressing fans. Clough and his backroom staff must be doing something right with the youngsters at the club. Are we on the verge of doing a United when Giggs and co followed by Beckham and Co here at Derby. Certainly hope so.

I remember Kevin nicklson from derby, he was the next big thing in these victory shield, he was on sheff wed books at the time, he was captain and man of the matchba few times. I think he had just developed earlier, I think he now plays for someone in league 1. Also what happened to michael branch, the new owen. I always enjoy watching this stuff but sadly most don't make it

Mason played really well tonight, best player for England by a country mile, as said above scoring two and setting up one. One of only 2 players playing for a team outside of the premier league. Great news for Derby, we've got him until he's 20 apparently, so we've got to try and utilise him as best as possible.

• 1 month later...
Derby County's Mason Bennett is this week teaming up with England's under-16 squad ahead of their Victory Shield tie with Scotland on Friday (25th November).

At 15 years and 99 days old Bennett became the youngest ever player in Derby County's history last month against Middlesbrough and he has been named in under-16s Head Coach Kenny Swain's squad for the final Sky Sports Victory Shield Tulloch clash at the Caledonian Stadium, Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

Bennett, who has made two starts and two substitute appearances for the Rams in the last month, produced a man of the match display for England's under-16s against Northern Ireland in October by scoring twice and setting up another goal in a 3-1 victory.

He has been in fine form too for Derby's under-18s this season and scored the winner in Saturday's 2-1 victory at Huddersfield Town in the Premier League Academy.

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10270~2523883,00.html

Archived