Clough new contract

ianm

This board do not like wasting money and have pockets at times which reach their ankles. If they don't like spending money on players and like how Clough finds bargain deals then why would they not offer his back room staff the deals which clough wants. They have proven themselves in my eyes.

Third in the league with a squad a lot of people on here seem not to rate. They are third and deserve to be third as they have attained the results. People had concerns over Brayford and Bailey for example when they came, yet they have matured here nicely. Is this down to just them or is it down to the coaching they have received. The same was said when we signed Ben Davies and Bryson for example yet again they have shown their worth. In respect of youngsters Hendrick and O'Brien again they have shown thier worth to the club. Now Clough can't be responsible for everthing and this includes developing players. Yes it is his ethos and training which is implemented but if the coaches can not deliver then players would not develop.

Coaches are not paid to be media experts but are paid to develop players. With the budgets in place at Derby we have seen questions asked who would we have to replace Clough and there has not really been any reasonable suggestions. The same question has to be the same with coaches. Clough replaced the physio and since then yes we have had injuries but players return quicker and remain fit. Look at Commons for example sick note before he came and since then he was fit for more consecutive games last season then the two season prior put together.

Has others have said this group of coaches have been with Clough for a while and need to remain. The team is taking shape and Clough obviously holds to the view that his backroom staff are key and to take that away from him could be disastorous as this is the support he needs to continue the development of players etc

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clough is paid to manage the club, managing the club includes picking the coaching staff. GSE will sort this out, just have some patience. If Clough isn't here at the start of next season (barring a major nosedive in form) I'll eat a hat.

A difference of opinion must be there or why are the contracts not already signed. It's good now though that we have some idea what the issue is and more pressure will be on Mr Glick to get it sorted.

I think in the current climate at most clubs of falling gates and income that Nigel's record in been able to work and bring down costs will increase his options in the market. It would have to be fairly local though as he is not one for moving and uprooting the family.

It's only good if the backroom staff are any good. Do people seriously rate Garner and Crosby et al as coaches? They come across as being thick as two short ones and it's often been suggested that the backroom staff aren't up to it.

Just throwing that out there.

So does Mike Phelan. Just saying.

There's no reason not to give them a deal. Surely it's the manager in charge who makes a decision on his backroom staff? If the board have faith in Nigel Clough to manage the team, they should have the faith in him to decide his backroom team.

A difference of opinion must be there or why are the contracts not already signed. It's good now though that we have some idea what the issue is and more pressure will be on Mr Glick to get it sorted.

I think in the current climate at most clubs of falling gates and income that Nigel's record in been able to work and bring down costs will increase his options in the market. It would have to be fairly local though as he is not one for moving and uprooting the family.

Because he has 9 months left, and all parties know it will be resolved. If he had 9 days left I might be more concerned.

Because he has 9 months left, and all parties know it will be resolved. If he had 9 days left I might be more concerned.

If you want him to stay you need to be very concerned as he is at the moment available for other clubs to sound out. As there is a dispute over his staff if it is not resolved soon we should all be very worried.

If you want him to stay you need to be very concerned as he is at the moment available for other clubs to sound out. As there is a dispute over his staff if it is not resolved soon we should all be very worried.

Sorry, why should we all be "very worried"?

What evidence do you have, other than a comment piece in the local paper with nothing to substantiate it, of a "dispute"?

Who's to say that this won't be sorted out in plenty of time, that both parties want it sorted out, and that a verbal agreement of some sort between NC and the Board hasn't already been made?

What makes you think Nigel is so desperate to jump ship, as the tenor of your posts suggest, and be "sounded out"?

Much as I am delighted Nigel is manager of Derby and want him to stay, who realistically do you think would be falling over themselves to sack their manager and take Nigel on? (I'm discounting Forest as an answer to that, because I could never see him going there after the way their fans have treated him of late)?

Answer these, and I'm right with you.

Sorry, why should we all be "very worried"?

What evidence do you have, other than a comment piece in the local paper with nothing to substantiate it, of a "dispute"?

Who's to say that this won't be sorted out in plenty of time, that both parties want it sorted out, and that a verbal agreement of some sort between NC and the Board hasn't already been made?

What makes you think Nigel is so desperate to jump ship, as the tenor of your posts suggest, and be "sounded out"?

Much as I am delighted Nigel is manager of Derby and want him to stay, who realistically do you think would be falling over themselves to sack their manager and take Nigel on? (I'm discounting Forest as an answer to that, because I could never see him going there after the way their fans have treated him of late)?

Answer these, and I'm right with you.

The article in the paper is from an experienced journalist who would not have wrote it if he didn't know it to be true, or if Nigel did not wanted it to reach print. It would be a surprise to me if this was not straight from the horses mouth as the saying goes.

If both parties were happy and keen on the deal then surely there is nothing to stop it been done now. It is pretty clear now that is not the case and it is clear the dispute is regarding the backroom staff. Whether it is the numbers of them or terms and conditions we don't know yet but there is an issue that is yet to be sorted.

I've not said that Nigel wants to jump ship but I am pretty sure he is the type of guy who if he doesn't get what he feels is right with his staff would walk away. Whether he would want to move to another job as high profile as this or do something else is another matter for conjecture.

If you think that there is no problem with this and base your view on the Glick spiel then my view is you are in cloud cuckoo land.

The article in the paper is from an experienced journalist who would not have wrote it if he didn't know it to be true, or if Nigel did not wanted it to reach print. It would be a surprise to me if this was not straight from the horses mouth as the saying goes.

If both parties were happy and keen on the deal then surely there is nothing to stop it been done now. It is pretty clear now that is not the case and it is clear the dispute is regarding the backroom staff. Whether it is the numbers of them or terms and conditions we don't know yet but there is an issue that is yet to be sorted.

I've not said that Nigel wants to jump ship but I am pretty sure he is the type of guy who if he doesn't get what he feels is right with his staff would walk away. Whether he would want to move to another job as high profile as this or do something else is another matter for conjecture.

If you think that there is no problem with this and base your view on the Glick spiel then my view is you are in cloud cuckoo land.

You're seeing an issue where none exists. The paper are trying to make a story out of nothing, because they have nothing to talk about. He will be offered a new deal, and he will sign it, it might even happen after the season is over, there is no rush when the two parties are clearly keen on each other, and almost certainly have a verbal agreement.

i do think something is not quite right with this, ben davies and some of the backroom staff have quoted in the det that clough should be offered a new contract...if this verbal agreement was in place why would some of the coaching staff and at least one senior player not know????

glick has also come out this week (after not saying anything for quite a while) and said cloughs our man and we will at some point sort out his contract, which says to me it isnt straight forward.

this in mind im not quite panicking yet but i do think there maybe some truth in the coaching staff roumer...so i dont think ianm is seeing things that arnt there..just my opinion though

You're seeing an issue where none exists. The paper are trying to make a story out of nothing, because they have nothing to talk about. He will be offered a new deal, and he will sign it, it might even happen after the season is over, there is no rush when the two parties are clearly keen on each other, and almost certainly have a verbal agreement.

The paper were not making a story out of nothing it was not even headlined. It was in the Gerald Mortimer column a guy who used to be the chief Derby County reporter before retiring. You are taking too much notice of Mr Glick by the tone of your comments.

There is an issue here and thank you to Mr Mortimer for bringing it to our attention.

Thought it would take longer for a phrase like this to come out, surprised it's only taken two pages for it to happen.

Has he got a quote off Nigel? Or is Mr Mortimer speculating and you are turning it into fact, so you can have another dig at Colin Bloomfield and co?

He said in the article he spoke to Nigel, Mr Mortimer has no need to speculate at his time of life, you can guarantee that this will be correct.

Yes I do think it is poor that a retired guy is the man who is bringing us this important information and not the people whose job it is to do so but don't show they have the capability. Yes Bloomfield!!!

I thought it would also contain the word "spin".

I like his use of "spiel", nice little bit of variety going on there.

All that's left to say is that anyone who believes even a single inch of any sentence ever said by Tom Glick is "having the wool pulled over their eyes" and that they need to "wake up and smell the coffee" and "come down from planet Zog".

We've cothere all the phrases that appear in these sort of threads already and have therefore covered every issue, is there any point in keeping it open?

I've known Gerald for several years, respect him as a writer and have no doubt he wouldn't spin rubbish like the tabloids so yes, I'm very happy to accept what he says has been told to him and he has reported it.

However, there is a whole leap then to get to disputes, splits etc.

My conclusion is I believe Gerald, I think Nigel will sign a new contract and Glick's a decent bloke

Archived