would being a derby fan be as good if we won the champions league and premiership?

Leeds Ram

Hi i am just wondering, maybe it is in a small way good that derby county isn't overwhelmingly successful, I mean how boring would it be to be a manchester united fan, win after win after win, no suspense, no crippling doubt about the future, no poor performances that make you go home and wonder will we turn it around, no delight at avoiding relegation by the skin of your teeth. We can all say we are loyal fans, we stick by derby no matter what, whether it is financial disaster and criminality or a 14 game winless streak, don't get me wrong i would love for derby to be eternally successful but then i think part of the magic would be gone, what do you think?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure people still loved being a Derby fan in 1972 and 1975.

What makes football football is its ups and downs.

Man Utd have no downs so their fans don't feel or experience half of what it essential to the game.

If we were to win the CL I'd be delighted, because generally we are a mediocre team that has perpetually struggled in the second tier of English football throughout most of our recent history so it would be magical to become the best team in Europe.

I'd hate this forum and our ground to be full of glory hunters though.

Can you imagine having some moron moaning about the clubs ambition or whatever after we come 2nd in the premiership. Moaning about losing twice to Chelsea when there a those of us that are enjoying the ride. Because we remember losing 5-1 or whatever to tramere. Getting thrashed by Ssausagehorpe at home.

Sometimes I feel sorry for the real man city fans etc that have to endure some "lifelong" fan who couldnt point to Manchester on a map 5 years ago moaning about something.

But it'd be nice. Maybe especially if it was short lived. To have a champions league game at pride park!!! It's alright for the older lot. The closest some of us will ever get to derby v real Madrid is on a computer game!!

My original point was if we were continually successful like united have been for at least a decade, would that be better than what we have? I would love for us to be in the champions league and that for a season would be brilliant, but if it was forever like united will have it now and chelsea and city i would miss the days of the championship and enjoying the little things.

we did win the league and were cheated out of the european cup semi

personally i preferred it :-)

but then again i don't have the same affection for the overpaid modern t0sser-players

I think in a way its much better supporting a 'real' football team as opposed to some franchise like Man United. Got a few friends who support United, Arsenal Liverpool etc. They cant get tickets to save their lives. Say what you like about the quality of football. If you want to see a game at Forest, Derby, Leciester etc, your not really gonna have any issues unless its a high profile match.

we did win the league and were cheated out of the european cup semi

personally i preferred it :-)

but then again i don't have the same affection for the overpaid modern t0sser-players

You were cheated out of the semis, least you dont sing your european champions like Leeds fans?!

I'd love us to become a stoke kind of side :) still not being completely comfortable with our position in the league but doing well, shocking big teams, a ten minute slot on match of the day and having a good go at getting into europe. Not being such a big club we attract Glory supporters and keeping Pride Park full every saturday

Hi i am just wondering, maybe it is in a small way good that derby county isn't overwhelmingly successful, I mean how boring would it be to be a manchester united fan, win after win after win, no suspense, no crippling doubt about the future, no poor performances that make you go home and wonder will we turn it around, no delight at avoiding relegation by the skin of your teeth. We can all say we are loyal fans, we stick by derby no matter what, whether it is financial disaster and criminality or a 14 game winless streak, don't get me wrong i would love for derby to be eternally successful but then i think part of the magic would be gone, what do you think?

Are you serious?

Football is an entertaining business.. It's there purely to entertain, hence the clubs with the most fans are the clubs that win/play the best football?

Would I like to be a fan of a club that wins alot like Man Utd? Absoloutely.. If you wouldn't then there is something wrong with you.. Why wouldn't you want to watch world class stars week in week out playing sublime football.. The likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Nani, Aguero, Tevez, David Silva for the Manchester clubs are worth the entrance fee alone..

If you'd seriously rather watch S.Davies, J.Ward. J.Bailey and J.Brayford every week than the likes of Rooney, Nani, Anderson and Evra plus the quality of then opposition then that's just wierd..

Being a Man Utd fan must be special, the things they've seen over the last 10 years including special bouts with Arsenal and Chelsea not to mention Juve, Bayern, Real Madrid and Barca when they were all in their prime.. So many special players that as a DCFC fan we'll never get to quality like that.. Ever again.

Plus I'm pretty sure DCFC fans preferred the 70s rather than now.

Are you serious?

Football is an entertaining business.. It's there purely to entertain, hence the clubs with the most fans are the clubs that win/play the best football?

Would I like to be a fan of a club that wins alot like Man Utd? Absoloutely.. If you wouldn't then there is something wrong with you.. Why wouldn't you want to watch world class stars week in week out playing sublime football.. The likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Nani, Aguero, Tevez, David Silva for the Manchester clubs are worth the entrance fee alone..

If you'd seriously rather watch S.Davies, J.Ward. J.Bailey and J.Brayford every week than the likes of Rooney, Nani, Anderson and Evra plus the quality of then opposition then that's just wierd..

Being a Man Utd fan must be special, the things they've seen over the last 10 years including special bouts with Arsenal and Chelsea not to mention Juve, Bayern, Real Madrid and Barca when they were all in their prime.. So many special players that as a DCFC fan we'll never get to quality like that.. Ever again.

Plus I'm pretty sure DCFC fans preferred the 70s rather than now.

Why dont you support United then?

I wouldnt want a whole new breed of fans stopping me from being able to get a ticket, not being able to stand cos of the sold out away ends, having all our games changed to meet Sky's needs.

I wouldnt get that feeling of being a part of something.

I'm pretty sure people still loved being a Derby fan in 1972 and 1975.

What makes football football is its ups and downs.

Man Utd have no downs so their fans don't feel or experience half of what it essential to the game.

If we were to win the CL I'd be delighted, because generally we are a mediocre team that has perpetually struggled in the second tier of English football throughout most of our recent history so it would be magical to become the best team in Europe.

Oh really? A recent trip to Manchester proved otherwise, they were everywhere..

Why dont you support United then?

I wouldnt want a whole new breed of fans stopping me from being able to get a ticket, not being able to stand cos of the sold out away ends, having all our games changed to meet Sky's needs.

I wouldnt get that feeling of being a part of something.

I don't support Utd because they're not my local club, and if I did support them, I'd find it impossible going to games and feeling apart of a community as I lived in Derby..

It's not Man Utds fault, nor of their supporters, that they're extremely popular outside of Manchester.. And those inside of Manchester probably couldn't give two hoots as they no doubt see their club play more football than your avergae Man Utd fan in Crawley.

For a person living in Manchester, getting a ticket/season ticket isn't even that difficult.. Nor is it for Barca, Real Madrid or Arsenal given the sheer size of the stadiums..

WHy wouldn't you get that feeling of being part of something.. Take Man Utd out of the equation, and think of Derby.. If we're taken over by billionaires, started winning trophies etc.. And then people from Asia start supporting us and we're on TV a lot more.. Why would that affect your normal DCFC fan in Derby, they'd still gt tickets for games.. The only thing that would change is the quality on the pitch, the entertainment on the pitch, and the prices of tickets..

Archived