Derby County v Doncaster Rovers

GboroRam

I think the problem is that we invariably go to away grounds with the mentality that the opposition are going to be better than us (not necessarily how it should be - Old Trafford maybe but not 90% of grounds in the Championship). So we prepare to weather the storm and hope to nick a goal on the break or from a set piece etc.

At PP, the onus is on us to make the running and we tend to find ourselves bereft of ideas - particularly against 'lesser' opposition who employ the same tactics as we do away from home.

For that reason I think it will be tight tomorrow...we'll probably not carve out that many chances and will have to be weary of Donny giving us a taste of our medicine...

Having said that, we have an awesome opportunity to make it 5 without defeat going in to the break - we could be almost a third of the way to safety!

There is plenty of cause for optimisim for a change. With our captain still out and half the team struggling for fitness - We're joint top and have the best defensive record in the league at present??

How big a part do the crowd play in this? I'm sure the atmosphere is better when a 'big' team is at Pride Park, probably as they'll bring a larger/noiser following and the Derby fans are more up for it. A smaller/weaker team probably won't bring many and maybe the home fans are more inclined to sit back and wait for something to get excited about.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0-0

2 clean sheets from 3 games and 1 goal conceded, tells us all what we need to know, but I think Doncaster will keep hold of the ball to much to threaten to much. Lalkovic according to the Chelsea website is a player blessed with both skill and pace and and can score with either feet, and has the ability to trick the best defenders with his quick feet. Could be in for a bit of a torrid time with him and barnes...

As per usual we Rams fans can start getting a bit carried away.

Hopefully Clough and co will have the players fully focussed.

Doncaster have beaten us on their last 3 visits to Pride Park in the league.

They badly miss Billy Sharpe. They were leading at Brighton for 83 mins on the opening day, Since Sharpe went down injured, they have lacked a cutting edge.

Still, they dominated posession against West Ham and Forest and sounds like they were still able to create the most chances in bth matches.

O'Driscoll was happy with Doncaster's performance in their last two home games...

"I thought we were outstanding in the second half against West Ham and I thought we carried that on for 90 minutes against Forest, which is some feat in the Championship," he said.

"All we can do now is keep trying to create chances. The players have a great deal of belief in what they do."

They will control much of the posession on Saturday, as they usually do when they play us.

Giles Barnes has started their last two matches. Played the full 90 against Forest. He will be dangerous! We all know he would love to score against us.

Any hint of complacency and we will get punished. A half hearted effort in the first half against Shrewsbury on our last time out at Pride Park and we were 3-0 down at half time. Despite our battling performances in our last two away games. Playing at home we are on a hiding to nothing. Because Doncaster have lost all 3 league games, and we have won all our 3. There will be an expectancy for us to win the match.

If the players don't battle in the same way as they did to come back and win against Brum and to hold on to our leads against Watford and Blackpool we will struggle to get a good result on Saturday.

The players ought to be on a high and we have a new option in the defensive midfield area with Hendrick and Bailey seems to have shaken off

the injury he got. Hopefully with those two in their and Bryson, we ought to be able to keep hold of the ball a bit more and play a bit.

I doubt the Rovers we see will be as they have been in previous seasons. Their performances to date have been absolutely awful and as one lifelong fan and work associate has said "they are lucky to have no points!!"

No Rovers fans have predicted anything other than a Win for the Rams, this is suprising as normally they all tell me 2,3 or 4 - 0 to Rovers. Most are saying 2 or 3 - 1 to Derby --- Let's hope they're correct.

How big a part do the crowd play in this? I'm sure the atmosphere is better when a 'big' team is at Pride Park, probably as they'll bring a larger/noiser following and the Derby fans are more up for it. A smaller/weaker team probably won't bring many and maybe the home fans are more inclined to sit back and wait for something to get excited about.

Rovers have had big followings on their visits I think you will find, they're just very quiet fans!

Comfortable and professional 3-0. One goal every 30 minutes or so.

We'll be on the front foot for the entire 90 minutes.

Just watched the pre match interview on Rams Player and I reckon we will be very focussed.

I think the players themselves have bought into the "working for each other" mentality that NC wanted all along.

It's bloody tough not to get at least a little bit exicted by what's going on at the minute.

Derby 1-1 Donny

Think we'll be solid without creating much.. Whilst our results seem to have swung on the balance of 2 wonderstrikes and a free-kick rebound.. It only takes one of them against us to put us on the back foot..

We almost immediately equalised against Brum, the big test will be when we're 1-0 down and the other team is sitting back expecting us to go at them..

Bringing us out of our shell must be a priority for other managers if they've seen the past 3 games, because we've looked comfortable sitting and protecting a lead, but we're yet to see us actually go after the goals..

I think 0-1 to Donny and we'll push them back second half to grab an equaliser in the last 10 mins.. The first time we would have done that for over 18 months..

Fielding

Brayford Kilbane

O'Brien Shackell

Bailey

Davies, B Ward

Bryson

Davies, S. Cywka

Subbs:

Hendrick

Croft

Robertson

Maguire

Legzdins

A fantastic teamperformance against Blackpool, but at home we need a more attacting gameplay, I believe Tomasz Cywka is just the player to create a lot of chances for us and score goals too.

Hendrick did very good indeed and could came on later on to defend our lead.

Ward did very good on the left and supported Kilbane very good too in defence when needed, so instead of playing up front with S.Davies his place should be on the left midfield instead. That's his best place.

Shackell means all to this young team and O'Brien is starting to show very good promises, so if we keep fighting I'm very sure we will win against a Doncaster team not at it best right now.

And if Clough hears my prays and Cywka starts, I'm sure he'll score 2 goals and Ward one.

We win 3-1.

Fielding

Brayford Kilbane

O'Brien Shackell

Bailey

Davies, B Ward

Bryson

Davies, S. Cywka

Subbs:

Hendrick

Croft

Robertson

Maguire

Legzdins

A fantastic teamperformance against Blackpool, but at home we need a more attacting gameplay, I believe Tomasz Cywka is just the player to create a lot of chances for us and score goals too.

Hendrick did very good indeed and could came on later on to defend our lead.

Ward did very good on the left and supported Kilbane very good too in defence when needed, so instead of playing up front with S.Davies his place should be on the left midfield instead. That's his best place.

Shackell means all to this young team and O'Brien is starting to show very good promises, so if we keep fighting I'm very sure we will win against a Doncaster team not at it best right now.

And if Clough hears my prays and Cywka starts, I'm sure he'll score 2 goals and Ward one.

We win 3-1.

4-1-3-2 is a horrible, horrible formation.. It leaves just one CM to be exposed.. Plus, our CM will have no options other than to go forward when/should he recieve a pass from the back..Like two 5 a side matches! Sometimes you can't do that, sometimes you need to go sideways or play it through the middle and just retain possession.. You can't do that with 1 CM. With 3 CMs of Bryson (To push on) Hendrick and Bailey it gives us strength, balance and they're all comfortable on the ball, we can dominate possession in the middle..

I do however 100% agree with you regarding Cwyka.. He can be our creative outlet, another balldribbler (Ward being the other).. I'd get him on instead of B.Davies who IMO whilst solid doesn't add anything other than the occasional decent set-piece..

4-3-3 with Hendrick and Bailey with Bryson roaming forward, 2 out and out wingers who are licenced to cut in and create (Cwyka and Ward) and Davies uptop with Robinson to come on with 20 minutes left.

We have the perfect players to use a similar 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation GB used so successfully whilst he was here.

4-1-3-2 is a horrible, horrible formation.. It leaves just one CM to be exposed.. Plus, our CM will have no options other than to go forward when/should he recieve a pass from the back..Like two 5 a side matches! Sometimes you can't do that, sometimes you need to go sideways or play it through the middle and just retain possession.. You can't do that with 1 CM. With 3 CMs of Bryson (To push on) Hendrick and Bailey it gives us strength, balance and they're all comfortable on the ball, we can dominate possession in the middle..

I do however 100% agree with you regarding Cwyka.. He can be our creative outlet, another balldribbler (Ward being the other).. I'd get him on instead of B.Davies who IMO whilst solid doesn't add anything other than the occasional decent set-piece..

4-3-3 with Hendrick and Bailey with Bryson roaming forward, 2 out and out wingers who are licenced to cut in and create (Cwyka and Ward) and Davies uptop with Robinson to come on with 20 minutes left.

We have the perfect players to use a similar 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation GB used so successfully whilst he was here.

Quick question why is 4132 a horrible formation.

Look at the diamond shape formation used by many teams means one cm is to cover. The holding midfielder used in a bank of 4 is on his own. What I am trying to say is this is how we line up what it means is that one midfielder is earmarked to cover the back 4 like Ledley King did for England when we were doing well, Keane used to do for Utd so well. It means that the three other midfielders responsibilities include supporting the two strikers. It gives a clear indication to the other teams they can't push to far forward as we will hit them on the break and one of the reasons why it is has seen possibly a 'dull' game or 'poor' game is the formation tends to stop the other teams normal way of playing. You had Tyson pace in there as I saw at Villa it meant that full backs and a midfielder are too concerned what is happening behind them.

FOr me this formation is not horrible it is a formation not seen in the championhip.

I agree entirely with that, after watching the Blackpool game i pray Clough sticks with that midfield three, was very impressed with Hendrick although Bailey had quite a poor game.

If he swapped Cykwa for B.Davies that would be a decent midfield at this level imo, Davies offers little apart from the occasional good free kick.

I doubt the Rovers we see will be as they have been in previous seasons. Their performances to date have been absolutely awful and as one lifelong fan and work associate has said "they are lucky to have no points!!"

No Rovers fans have predicted anything other than a Win for the Rams, this is suprising as normally they all tell me 2,3 or 4 - 0 to Rovers. Most are saying 2 or 3 - 1 to Derby --- Let's hope they're correct.

I was at the Brighton game first day of the season and thought they played well first half. When Sharpe went off they practically accepted defeat and showed no ambition. Even with a make shift squad that day they passed it well and created chances.

Archived