Playing old games

Hucknall Ram

No worries, it might be a case of just re-downloading the Europa Barborum mod and installing it again.

Anyway, Vanilla is alright, plus not many are using that mod online, get yersen on there! I was being touted as PoM in the lobby once, felt right proud of myself haha :D

I'm nowhere near as good, but it's nice to see a few ********* in clans refuse to fight because they don't want to lose lol. Should add me on facebook! I'll have a few games online with you sometime if you've got a few hours free.

Not got facebook. I know, i know. Just never bothered. :D

But i'll try and sort it.

You've put down a challenge now. Hannibal is my favourite subject. He was pretty good against the odds. :D

No wonder the mrs calls me a geek.

Last year was flying over the Alps on our way on Holiday. Tried telling my missus all about Hannibal Barca and how he crossed the Alps and all the difficulties involved.

She said "It's half 5 in the morning and i'm tired. Can you be quiet? It's a bit boring"

I can see the point in drinking Stella and beating up women sometimes, you know?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know what you mean, I bore my friends to death sometimes if something I know about comes up. Luckily I can stick it all in the book i'm writing and get it out of my system there :rolleyes:

I can see how it's not the hot topic of female conversation though eh haha :D

Hannibal was fantastic. For sheer boldness and audacity there aren't many like him. I'm named after Alexander the Great so i'm bound to be quite interested in his story, though I quite like Salahadin from the Middle Ages too.

Alexander is my favourite general, but there are many others. Napoleon, Duke of Wellington, Julius Caesar, Scipio Africanus. Gah, i'm a nerd too :eek: :cool:

And a challenge eh? The Selucid Empire awaits your visit, good sir.

I know what you mean, I bore my friends to death sometimes if something I know about comes up. Luckily I can stick it all in the book i'm writing and get it out of my system there

I can see how it's not the hot topic of female conversation though eh haha :D

Hannibal was fantastic. For sheer boldness and audacity there aren't many like him. I'm named after Alexander the Great so i'm bound to be quite interested in his story, though I quite like Salahadin from the Middle Ages too.

Alexander is my favourite general, but there are many others. Napoleon, Duke of Wellington, Julius Caesar, Scipio Africanus. Gah, i'm a nerd too :eek: :cool:

And a challenge eh? The Selucid Empire awaits your visit, good sir.

Scipio eh?

Not a fan for obvious reasons. Thought he had too many advantages at Zama to even stand a chance of losing. But i conceede..... he was alright.

Hannibals story is one i can't get enough of though. Know his life like i know my own!

I'm stuck in between 300BC and the death of Julius Caesar. Find myself just constantly going back to that period of the Roman Republic. Still enjoy the stories of Alexander and the stories of English and Welsh archers decimating the French and Scots.

It's probably times like this when should be encouraged. :(

I read the story sample you put up on here that time for feedback. Was something i'd never pick up usually. Found it quite easy to read and enjoyable.

Good stuff matey!

Scipio eh?

Not a fan for obvious reasons. Thought he had too many advantages at Zama to even stand a chance of losing. But i conceede..... he was alright.

Hannibals story is one i can't get enough of though. Know his life like i know my own!

I'm stuck in between 300BC and the death of Julius Caesar. Find myself just constantly going back to that period of the Roman Republic. Still enjoy the stories of Alexander and the stories of English and Welsh archers decimating the French and Scots.

It's probably times like this when should be encouraged.

I read the story sample you put up on here that time for feedback. Was something i'd never pick up usually. Found it quite easy to read and enjoyable.

Good stuff matey!

He did indeed have the upperhand at that battle, but it was still a strong victory, and to never be defeated when a general is an admirable record, especially considering his campaigns in Hispania and Africa. He was a fantastic general.

Haha, I know what that's like! Just you wait mate, if we survive till 60 we can grow grey beards and talk about it all the time on the BBC from 6:30pm :D

Have you watched the HBO series 'Rome'? That's half half history, probably wins us some 'anti-nerd' points hopefully? :o

And ah, Agincourt. I bought a brilliant book on that by Bernard Cromwell for a couple of quid in Westfield, best deal i've ever found. Interesting for sure.

Oh right! Haha, cheers. I put one more chapter up then stopped, as to have any chance of publishing you're apparently not allowed to publish more than one-two chapters online or it's considered a risk. (People can copy you etc).

Don't know if you'd be interested, but i'm looking for a test reader or two? I'd drop you the chapters in an email or something like that. I did have ten chapters done, then my laptop graciously decided to reboot entirely on me and I lost them all :mad: So i'm doing it all again.

No worries if not at all! Just thought i'd ask :)

Sounds gay as fook, but as long as you enjoy it.

Lol, we were talking real life about those generals :p But different people like different things.

Some like music festivals and art, I prefer learning about historical battles/generals and going climbing in the countryside etc.

Just whatever floats your boat really :)

He did indeed have the upperhand at that battle, but it was still a strong victory, and to never be defeated when a general is an admirable record, especially considering his campaigns in Hispania and Africa. He was a fantastic general.

Haha, I know what that's like! Just you wait mate, if we survive till 60 we can grow grey beards and talk about it all the time on the BBC from 6:30pm

Have you watched the HBO series 'Rome'? That's half half history, probably wins us some 'anti-nerd' points hopefully?

And ah, Agincourt. I bought a brilliant book on that by Bernard Cromwell for a couple of quid in Westfield, best deal i've ever found. Interesting for sure.

Oh right! Haha, cheers. I put one more chapter up then stopped, as to have any chance of publishing you're apparently not allowed to publish more than one-two chapters online or it's considered a risk. (People can copy you etc).

Don't know if you'd be interested, but i'm looking for a test reader or two? I'd drop you the chapters in an email or something like that. I did have ten chapters done, then my laptop graciously decided to reboot entirely on me and I lost them all :mad: So i'm doing it all again.

No worries if not at all! Just thought i'd ask :)

Yes mate!

Bernard Cromwell did some books about an English Archer in the 100 years war i think. Seem to remember one was called Harlequin? Have you read them. Very good. And although it's fiction it runs along the lines of history and uses real battles in the plot. Anything that he writes that's not historically accurate is explained at the end of the book.

If your particularly patriotic there's some inspiring stuff when it comes to the Scots invading in the North while the English/Welsh are fighting in France.

There's 3 books in the series. Check 'em out if you haven't already.

Not sure if i've seen the series you mentioned. I try not to miss anything historical on the box so i get a bit confused with that i've seen. I sit down to watch something i've been looking forward to and find out i've seen it. I'll check it out though tonight.

If the missus gives me a chance. It's probably Coronation St or Eastenders or summat tonight. Or even worse..... ASDA. :eek: :mad:

Yes mate!

Bernard Cromwell did some books about an English Archer in the 100 years war i think. Seem to remember one was called Harlequin? Have you read them. Very good. And although it's fiction it runs along the lines of history and uses real battles in the plot. Anything that he writes that's not historically accurate is explained at the end of the book.

If your particularly patriotic there's some inspiring stuff when it comes to the Scots invading in the North while the English/Welsh are fighting in France.

There's 3 books in the series. Check 'em out if you haven't already.

Not sure if i've seen the series you mentioned. I try not to miss anything historical on the box so i get a bit confused with that i've seen. I sit down to watch something i've been looking forward to and find out i've seen it. I'll check it out though tonight.

If the missus gives me a chance. It's probably Coronation St or Eastenders or summat tonight. Or even worse..... ASDA.

Ah, nice one! If you follow that other link the second chapter is there, just drop me a PM with one of your email acounts and i'll just send them as and when they're done. Chapter Three is almost written again, i've changed the story alot. (For the better, I might add).

I've only read one Bernard Cromwell book and it was just called Agincourt I think, very good book though. I'm a big Simon Scarrow fan, I went up to waterstones with a girl I was seeing at the time as she wanted to see her favourite author, and I ended ip picking up one of his books. Turned out it was something like the ninth in a series so ended up buying all of them just to get to that one! :D Hes done a series on Napoleon and Wellington too, great historical writer.

I'm not very patriotic at all! Well, until it comes to other countries insulting us :D But if they're good reads then i'd like them all the same. I did enjoy the English victory in that book, bloody French and their long bread........

I will do! Will have to have a gander around WHSmith next time i'm up town.

It's an old series mate, early 2000's, must be online free somewhere. Here's a link to a trailer on YouTube but it doesn't do the series justice:

. I bought the first series boxset for £15 a month or so ago, worth a punt. You'd probably love it, it tells of the fall out of Pompey Magnus and Caesar and goes through Caesars ruling until the end of season one, (won't spoil the ending but you know what happens there lol). Series two is what follows afterward, Augustus etc. Augustus is in the first series as Octavian, his teenage years. The younger actor who plays him does a great job.

Also plays through the eyes of a Centurion and his Commander (can't remember the rank name) and goes through their live. They are pretty much made up and influence the world a little, but it's to give the series some freedom. I actually found where they came from really interesting, they were real soldiers, the only two people mentioned in Caesars memoirs who were of a lesser standing than he was. Apparently they hated each other, and one day outside a Roman fort Titus Pullo charged a small group of barbarians and killed one, but fell into trouble. Luscius then charged them himself, killing a few more, before he was injured. Pullo then got up, killed two more and the barbarians fled. They walked back to the fort to massive cheers, Caesar wrote that this is what drove on the Roman armies more than anything, roman pride and protection of each other. I liked that little story :) But yeah, check out that series lol (rambled on there a little).

And hahaha, oh dear! Ah well, you can be nerdy on your own time eh fella :D Besides, aren't you gripped by the tragic tale of Audry and her tranvestite lover on Corrie? Corr, got my blood going I tell ya!.....Lol.

Ah, nice one! If you follow that other link the second chapter is there, just drop me a PM with one of your email acounts and i'll just send them as and when they're done. Chapter Three is almost written again, i've changed the story alot. (For the better, I might add).

I've only read one Bernard Cromwell book and it was just called Agincourt I think, very good book though. I'm a big Simon Scarrow fan, I went up to waterstones with a girl I was seeing at the time as she wanted to see her favourite author, and I ended ip picking up one of his books. Turned out it was something like the ninth in a series so ended up buying all of them just to get to that one! :D Hes done a series on Napoleon and Wellington too, great historical writer.

I'm not very patriotic at all! Well, until it comes to other countries insulting us. But if they're good reads then i'd like them all the same. I did enjoy the English victory in that book, bloody French and their long bread........

I will do! Will have to have a gander around WHSmith next time i'm up town.

It's an old series mate, early 2000's, must be online free somewhere. Here's a link to a trailer on YouTube but it doesn't do the series justice:

. I bought the first series boxset for £15 a month or so ago, worth a punt. You'd probably love it, it tells of the fall out of Pompey Magnus and Caesar and goes through Caesars ruling until the end of season one, (won't spoil the ending but you know what happens there lol). Series two is what follows afterward, Augustus etc. Augustus is in the first series as Octavian, his teenage years. The younger actor who plays him does a great job.

Also plays through the eyes of a Centurion and his Commander (can't remember the rank name) and goes through their live. They are pretty much made up and influence the world a little, but it's to give the series some freedom. I actually found where they came from really interesting, they were real soldiers, the only two people mentioned in Caesars memoirs who were of a lesser standing than he was. Apparently they hated each other, and one day outside a Roman fort Titus Pullo charged a small group of barbarians and killed one, but fell into trouble. Luscius then charged them himself, killing a few more, before he was injured. Pullo then got up, killed two more and the barbarians fled. They walked back to the fort to massive cheers, Caesar wrote that this is what drove on the Roman armies more than anything, roman pride and protection of each other. I liked that little story :) But yeah, check out that series lol (rambled on there a little).

And hahaha, oh dear! Ah well, you can be nerdy on your own time eh fella :D Besides, aren't you gripped by the tragic tale of Audry and her tranvestite lover on Corrie? Corr, got my blood going I tell ya!.....Lol.

I haven't seen it mate! Going to get it ASAP.

Cheers!!! :D

Caesar is about as late in history as i tend to go. With his death, and then especially after Octavians battling with Mark Antony my interest becomes a bit more fleeting.

300BC to the death of Caesar sees 3 of the greatest generals of all time. And a few other very capable Generals! It only misses out Alexander himself the greatest of all. For ancient military history it's a bit of a golden era.

We've gone way off topic. lol

Did you take interest in history at school or later?

I didn't have much interest until about 6 years ago. Now i wish i'd had a chance to make a career out of it.

I'm pm-ing you my email mate.

I haven't seen it mate! Going to get it ASAP.

Cheers!!! :D

Caesar is about as late in history as i tend to go. With his death, and then especially after Octavians battling with Mark Antony my interest becomes a bit more fleeting.

300BC to the death of Caesar sees 3 of the greatest generals of all time. And a few other very capable Generals! It only misses out Alexander himself the greatest of all. For ancient military history it's a bit of a golden era.

We've gone way off topic. lol

Did you take interest in history at school or later?

I didn't have much interest until about 6 years ago. Now i wish i'd had a chance to make a career out of it.

I'm pm-ing you my email mate.

It's a great series, won a ton of awards at the time. There's only one season after that but I think that one was just as good, just depends on which era you're more interested in. I'm with you, the Pompey/Caesar thing is more interesting to me than Augustus v Mark Anthony/Cleopatra

I do like Mark Anthony though, or atleast how he's portayed by the series. Seems a hell of an ally to have, he just picked the wrong side. Love buggered his potential career right up.

It is indeed, some great civilizations around at the time, i'm still amazed by how well Carthage did economics wise. They basically monopolised most of the known land entirely on trade by sea, if they'd have been able to match Rome for strength in arms then they'd have ruled the world instead. Plus they used Elephants in battle, which is just so ******* cool! :D

Lol, just a bit! Sorry Hucknall :o

I did like History at school, i'd have got an A* if I hadn't been a bit confused by the sh1tty photocopy of an image in the exam :mad: But i'm generally just fascinated by military tactics etc, the whole thing fascinates me. I was tempted to go into military intelligence but it wouldn't interest me, not how wars are fought now. I take an interest in anything I find interesting basically! Just read about it or watch programs on it. You?

I suppose you still could, if you did night classes or offered to do some speaking to classes if Hannibal just happens to be on anyones uni course? Bit of a longshot I suppose. But I bet there's a few things you could do to try and get into it if you wanted to?

Archived