When do we give up on clough??

adamD

you can't endorse a manager who is struggling because you claim it isn't about results, you do care about results to a degree, i love the club and i would carry on supporting them and going if we were in the conference, but i wouldn't be happy if our manager (whoever he is) led us down and was still allowed to continue, that would frustrate me as i want the best for the club i love and as i love them i want them to succeed, i don't want them to fail just like a parent wants a child to do well but will love them if things don't turn out quite right.

I would love to see us in the premiership succeeding and while i do like championship football i would prefer derby county being one of the top 20 teams in the land than not, and at least having a shot of achieving European football.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know and neither do you, we had spent over a million pounds last season on permanent players and plenty more on loans. The fact is the pressure is on because we have had 2 crap seasons in which the previous one there was a serious threat of relegation.

It's a bit like saying - you broke your leg last year, and only scored 2 goals, so the pressure is really on this year. Not really fair is it?

We were hamstrung by player sales and getting the wage bill down - if you name a manager that would have joined Derby given the financial constraints of the time, and would have accepted the salary Clough is on (whatever it is, I doubt it's great given they invested next to nothing in the first two years), then name him and I'll agree.

Otherwise, just back the bloke! Wish him, and us, all the best, rather than being so bloody negative. I think everyone acknowledges that if he does well he stays, and if not he goes - no need to put it on loop on various threads around this forum.

it isn't like saying that at all, because that situation the player can't play and doesn't have a chance, clough had a chance and spent all together in excess of 2 million pounds building his squad, clough didn't rate hulse either way and we were struggling when commons was here as well. I wish the manager well but i don't believe he is capable of mounting a promotion challenge and thus i don't back him as such, this is a when do we give up on clough thread and i am giving my opinion, and as it is a forum about opinions then i will voice mine whenever and wherever i want and it is not up too you to judge when and how i do that.

Don't think so mate, I can't see anyone being like that*. Maybe you might get a couple arguing for Clough if we were near the bottom three but not if we were bottom.

I'm staggered we've got 4 pages in this thread, it's still people saying "if Clough does rubbish he might go, if he doesn't he'll stay". That applies to every manager in the league...

*EDIT: apart from Ambitious.

Well maybe we're not friends anymore then..

I'm just a romantic, in all fairness I would bet my house that Billy Davies would do a damn sight better job here than Clough, will we get promoted next season, I doubt it will we be in the top 6, again I doubt it. I think we'll finish in or close to the top 10 and that'd be enough for me, as long as we don't go down then I would be happy, we keep ticking along.

If we went up we would need to again put the clubs future at risk just to compete, it turns into another ball game altogether.

I'm just a romantic, in all fairness I would bet my house that Billy Davies would do a damn sight better job here than Clough, will we get promoted next season, I doubt it will we be in the top 6, again I doubt it. I think we'll finish in or close to the top 10 and that'd be enough for me, as long as we don't go down then I would be happy, we keep ticking along.

If we went up we would need to again put the clubs future at risk just to compete, it turns into another ball game altogether.

Ambitious by name, not ambitious by nature

What would happen to the League, and football in general, if all clubs followed your leaning.

In/Out,Stay/Sack,Pressure/Patience......we support Derby,so lets do that....if it goes t*ts....we'll still support Derby...2 years of ***** and now we have potential of better feckin days...i hope clough does the job...and so does he..so lets support! Super Rams;)

so if we consistently finish 20th and played crap all the time you would be happy? we wouldn't though, not with the investors and everton have shown you don't have too, as have fulham.

Fulham are about 200million pound in debt, hardly a role model. If we wanted to compete now, even at the bottom half teams are spending 10s of millions on single players and offering them 50-60 thousand a week. It's ridiculous and if we was to get promoted and want to compete we would need a budget of something in the region of 60-70 million with a wagebill from 8-9million towards 30-40million, as I said doesn't interest me. I agree I may be on my own, but I certainly won't ever call for Cloughs head would make me feel wrong, if he gets sacked and we bring someone in like Brian Laws, Billy Davies..etc I just wouldn't enjoy it as much.

but surely reasoning must play a part, if we were relegated to league 2 you would still want him as manager? and yes the budget would go up, the t.v. money would vastly go up though as well as other revenue, you could compete and still hold a budget which is sustainable e.g. everton.

Fulham are about 200million pound in debt, hardly a role model. If we wanted to compete now, even at the bottom half teams are spending 10s of millions on single players and offering them 50-60 thousand a week. It's ridiculous and if we was to get promoted and want to compete we would need a budget of something in the region of 60-70 million with a wagebill from 8-9million towards 30-40million, as I said doesn't interest me. I agree I may be on my own, but I certainly won't ever call for Cloughs head would make me feel wrong, if he gets sacked and we bring someone in like Brian Laws, Billy Davies..etc I just wouldn't enjoy it as much.

What if he took us all the way to the conference?

Saying no matter how **** Clough does you'll still want him in charge is a bit ridiculous, i dont think he's trying any harder than our previous managers and as a person he annoys the f*ck out of me. He's not Brian and never will be, the sentimental bullsh*t has kept him in the job this long, it needs to be dropped if we're to get any better.

I think there is some merit to the argument that Clough now has 'his' team in place and can be fairly judged on their performance. However, I would be less concerned with league position this year than with the quality and style of our football. I would rather see us playing the kind of football we did for a few weeks last year and losing a few thrillers than sluggin our way up the table with a bunch of hard fought 1-0's and away draws. Show me some quality and potential this season and I remain fully behind Mr. Clough. Play crappy football and flounder about at the bottom of the table all season and I, sadly, will begin to think it is maybe time to move on...but I would still hate it as I think we need stability and that Cloughie has the potential to be a great manager one day.

You can't judge Clough on the last 2 seasons with that budget, do you really think those signings were his first choice? No respect for the negative flawed arguments in this thread. If we finish top ten this season you are in for some proper stick. And as for Everton YR you are going to have to back up that argument with details of their financial situation. You don't seem to be able to ever grasp the dynamic behind a situation and just pluck names out of the air. Give us a reasoned argument.

He lives a bit of a charmed life because of the surname. Provided we are not bottom 6 he will survive.

1-2 he'll get the freedom of the city

3-6 he'll get his arrse kissed

6-14 he'll get a slap on the back and a new contract

14-18 he'll get another year

18-24 he'll get a P45

Archived