When do we give up on clough??

adamD

the answer to that is no emjlc, we wouldn't have touched him with a 10 foot barge pole, the name clough gives a lot of leverage with this club almost ridiculously so and no other manager i have seen at this club has been given this amount of leeway. I want him to succeed that is the thing, i want success with anyone i can find it at this club but with a clough it would be unlike anything.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didnt Laws turn Scunny from a bottom League 2 side and get them into the championship? Didnt he also get Sheff Wed promoted?

Bit harsh calling him useless then saying how great Clough was getting Burton up two Divisons the Northern Premier league and the Conference in 10 years.

He got them in to League Two. Not officially, but it was all his work.

I think Clough will succeed with backing, he may not have the calibre everyone would have liked but he played the game to a hig level, had a great mentor and has shown he knows how to make a winning side. Made some mistakes but not big ones and i think he's learnt a lot in his time here. But as a side note, do we think the American owners knew the Clough legacy when they interviewed him? They don't seem like the romantic type, one thing we know for sure Nige does genuinely care about this club which makes a nice change.

He got them in to League Two. Not officially, but it was all his work.

Thats what I meant, he won two promotions one out of the Northern prem, to the conference, and one out of conference to league 2. So why is laws so awful when he took Scunny out of league 2, into league 1 and out of league 1 into the champ

I think Clough will succeed with backing, he may not have the calibre everyone would have liked but he played the game to a hig level, had a great mentor and has shown he knows how to make a winning side. Made some mistakes but not big ones and i think he's learnt a lot in his time here. But as a side note, do we think the American owners knew the Clough legacy when they interviewed him? They don't seem like the romantic type, one thing we know for sure Nige does genuinely care about this club which makes a nice change.

I think they knew that while cost cutting the fans would allow Clough a lot more time than any other manager. Plenty of ex good players have had great mentors, it doesnt make them good managers

the answer to that is no emjlc, we wouldn't have touched him with a 10 foot barge pole, the name clough gives a lot of leverage with this club almost ridiculously so and no other manager i have seen at this club has been given this amount of leeway. I want him to succeed that is the thing, i want success with anyone i can find it at this club but with a clough it would be unlike anything.

I agree, if his name wasn't Clough he wouldn't of got the job in the first place! that's obvious IMO.

If I was you YoungRam I would start petition to bring back Billy Davies, where the smart money would say he is going to be more successful than Clough, if we was all about results then that'd be the smart thing to do IMO, and then when we're in the premiership sack Davies and bring someone else in who is proven at the top level, even if we have to dig them up out of their grave!

they will have meticulously have conducted research i imagine, especially on the clough name which round these parts is rightly sacred. Ambitous, I believe in getting the right man for the job, generally that is someone who can succeed the most with the team. Would I like Billy davies back? well he has succeeded with us, failed with the people down the road and he has won 1 playoff in 5. However i would prefer him to clough who has simply survived just survived mind you in this league.

they will have meticulously have conducted research i imagine, especially on the clough name which round these parts is rightly sacred. Ambitous, I believe in getting the right man for the job, generally that is someone who can succeed the most with the team. Would I like Billy davies back? well he has succeeded with us, failed with the people down the road and he has won 1 playoff in 5. However i would prefer him to clough who has simply survived just survived mind you in this league.

How you could possibly prefer BD to Clough I dont know. Under Davies we played awful football. I would rather try and play good stuff like Clough does. I fully believe as well that with time and support he will get this club promoted.

Plus, surname aside, I like the fact that Nige is actually from Derby and understands the local area, the fans and the club. That's a big plus.

Plus if I never had to listen to a BD press conference again, that would make me much happier in life

because i remember actually being happy and looking forward to going to a match under his leadership, everyone was cheering him when we won promotion and the southampton home game was an unforgettable night. Under clough at times we have played good football, but we haven't played well enough, you don't play well and finish 14th and 19th and be in danger of relegation. I would rather have someone who can achieve at the club than someone who in my opinion can't.

How you could possibly prefer BD to Clough I dont know. Under Davies we played awful football. I would rather try and play good stuff like Clough does. I fully believe as well that with time and support he will get this club promoted.

Plus, surname aside, I like the fact that Nige is actually from Derby and understands the local area, the fans and the club. That's a big plus.

Plus if I never had to listen to a BD press conference again, that would make me much happier in life

Have you been going in the last 2 and half years, bar a 3 month spell last season the football has been dreadfull. All packed behind the ball lumping it forward

Have you been going in the last 2 and half years, bar a 3 month spell last season the football has been dreadfull. All packed behind the ball lumping it forward

Yes I have, but I think its down to a poor playing squad not a lack or trying. This is just going around in circles again...

You either think he's decent and has done the best he has with the tools available, or you dont think he's up to it. The only thing that is going to change either viewpoint are the results next season, whichever way they go

Yes I have, but I think its down to a poor playing squad not a lack or trying. This is just going around in circles again...

You either think he's decent and has done the best he has with the tools available, or you dont think he's up to it. The only thing that is going to change either viewpoint are the results next season, whichever way they go

Im amazed sometimes, you say you want your manager to play the right way which we havent been for 2 and half years, then blame it on the players. Well we could do that about every manager ever. Billy (who I dont like) may have played more expansive football if he had the players. You cant say clough wants to play good football when we havent even been trying to.

I'm not blaming the players as individuals. I'm saying its down the the squad. When you rely on loan players to plug holes in your team, I think its hard for the manager to get them playing as he would like. Unfortunately a lot of the time over the previous few seasons that's what we've had to do.

When we did play well for the few months of the season, that proves both Nige and the individuals have it in them. Back to the round-in-circles point, we'll see where we are 15 games in this season. But I think any finish from 7th - 16th and Clough will stay and rightly so. Below that and there are problems

16th? if we finish 16th he should be ashamed and be sacked, we played well against those teams for a very short period of time, all those teams finished in the bottom half of the league, I don't buy that because they can do it once or twice that they can do it all the time and that they have potential, even claude davies and andy todd had a good game once or twice.

16th in the league last season was 15 points off relegation and 15 points of 7th place finishing with 57 points. That's not as terrible as it sounds. Although I agree we should really be finishing top half, the difference between the midtable positions of say 10th-16th is very little - maybe 10 points. Positions can be a little deceiving outside of the top/bottom 6 or 8

For me it will be successful if we at no point flirt with relegation, score at least 60 points and play good football

YR15.

I'm about to waste too much of my time showing you something that SHOULD shut you up for a while.. I doubt it will though as you usually just keep going irrespective.

I've rounded spending figures to the nearest 10k.

Burnley - 5.5m - most expensive signing 2m another one over 1m

Cardiff - 110k

Coventry - 530k - 1 player

Crystal Palace - 900k - 1 player

Derby 1.4m - most expensive 2 x 500k (bailey and brayford)

Doncaster - 0

Hull - 4.5m - most expensive - 1.3m, 1.2m 1.1m.

Ipswich - 1.6m - most expensive 1m

Leeds 880k - 350k

Watford - 650k - mes 650k

Barnsley - 2.4m - mes 1.2m

Millwall - 1.1m - mes 600k

Forest 1.8m - mes 1.3m

Norwich 4.4m - mes 1.5m

Portsmouth 0 - (6 free transfers from prem sides)

Preston - 1.3m - mes 900k

QPR - 5m - mes 1.6m

Reading 2.3m - mes 1.1

Ssausagehorpe 1.2m - 300k

Sheffield United - 240k

Swansea - 1.7m - 880k

Middlesbrough - 6.5m - mes 2m, 1.5m and 1.6m

Leicester - 5m - mes 3m

that's not restricted to any 3 or 4 clubs - that is THE WHOLE LEAGUE. (i couldn't find peterboro)

I've bolded the clubs who have signed players spending less than DCFC on their major summer signing(s) of 2010/11

That's 6 clubs who have not spent more than 500k on one single signing. 1 of those clubs signed Craig Bellamy. 2 orf those clubs were relegated. Only two of those clubs finished above us and one of those signed 6 players on a free transfer from Premier league sides....

What exaclty are you on when you come out with some of your codswallop?

We've started both of the last 2 season playing proper football - ball on the ground, pass and move etc. Both seasons we've struggled to sustain it through a combination of injuries and lack of confidence. But that at least suggests to me that we're trying to play properly. We've only switched to a more solid/defensive way of playing later in the seasons through necessity, not through choice imo - we weren't getting the results trying to play the pretty football, so we've had to change it, by making ourselves hard to beat (or harder at least) and scrapping more.

The lack of confidence has been because we've not had the ability in the right places to convert that decent play into results - we've missed to many chances, not scored when we've been on top and made too many silly mistakes at the back. Fielding and Shackell will both improve the later issue, and hopefully the signings we've made so far plus the new striker we *should* be getting in should help with the first two (although that still remains to be seen, until we know who else we're going to sign, and how well the other new guys will do).

Archived