When do we give up on clough??

adamD

you will have one, and uttox i want to be wrong, i want nigel to have success, i want us to get promoted, because winning with a clough would be unlike anything else. In my opinion a manager with the same resources could do better, of course that can't be tested because we can't have the same situation as before again, and i recognise it is my opinion not a fact.

I was going to start a petition to have every one of your posts automatically transferred to dave's Gloomy and Doomy thread, but I'll leave it for now:p:D

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sorry but that is 2 teams, how much did the bottom 8 teams spend? that would be a better analysis than picking 2 of the biggest spenders. I don't hate clough i just think the guy is useless at his job and i want him out of the club for the sake of the club.

Do me a favour. When you get your away tickets, let me know what block and row you are so I can avoid you.

I'm guessing you don't sit near me at home or you'd have been slung out.

Forest have offered £3m + David McGoldrick to Brizzle for Maynard, according to the Mirror. Leicester have an offer in for £2.75m.

This is what Cloughie is up against. When Cloughie is able to compete at this level then we can criticise him if we don't have a good season.

No one's saying he ain't made mistakes, a good manager will learn by them so we'll see, but FFS, you are blinkered by your hatred of the bloke.

Hold on there Muttley, Clough has gone on record that he will only pay what he thinks a player is worth, so maybe his COMPETING may be below others, so he will still miss good players, just a thougtht

Do me a favour. When you get your away tickets, let me know what block and row you are so I can avoid you.

I'm guessing you don't sit near me at home or you'd have been slung out.

again it is my opinion, and i will sit next to you for away games, i will make sure of it :p and again i do think the guy is useless and for the interest of the club in my opinion it would be better for him to be out of the position of power he currently has.

Barnsley bought Liam Dickinson for £150,000 and Jason Shackell for about £500k

so they spent 650k, we spent 800k on brayford and bailey, 450k on davies, at least 500k on the bueno loan fee so we spent, at least 1.75 million on our team compared to their 650k, and i think barnsley finished above us right?

so they spent 650k, we spent 800k on brayford and bailey, 450k on davies, at least 500k on the bueno loan fee so we spent, at least 1.75 million on our team compared to their 650k, and i think barnsley finished above us right?

Read my post

again it is my opinion, and i will sit next to you for away games, i will make sure of it :p and again i do think the guy is useless and for the interest of the club in my opinion it would be better for him to be out of the position of power he currently has.

Define useless? To me, managers like Brian Laws are useless - are you putting a man who dragged a non league outfit in to the professional realm pretty much single handedly, and has had to deal with our squad being hacked in the same bracket?

You can look at spend all you like. The fact is we had to get rid of our two best players, without ever managing to replace them. At the time, I guess a Hulse replacement would have been in excess of £1m, and a Commons standard player £2m. To anyone who follows Derby it was quite clear that no investment would be made, never mind £3m.

well i am sorry but why didn't we keep hulse then? commons i understand we had no choice but with hulse we had the choice, you can't complain that hulse went and then say he was rubbish and we couldn't replace him. Useless to me is someone who has failed to perform the tasks handed to him and to go backwards, e.g. like clough's performance. He has a poor grasp of the tactical approach and makes basic errors, when the team come out in the second half we often play worse than in the 1st, so his team talks can't be very inspirational. How long did he take with burton 10 years? and to league 2, what is steve cotteral with cheltenham then, a genius? or the guy who took stevenage up from the conference to league 1? are they absolutely brilliant?or are they someone who hit upon a formula that worked a bit like stan ternat did with back to back promotions but couldn't repeat success elsewhere?

Define useless? To me, managers like Brian Laws are useless - are you putting a man who dragged a non league outfit in to the professional realm pretty much single handedly, and has had to deal with our squad being hacked in the same bracket?

You can look at spend all you like. The fact is we had to get rid of our two best players, without ever managing to replace them. At the time, I guess a Hulse replacement would have been in excess of £1m, and a Commons standard player £2m. To anyone who follows Derby it was quite clear that no investment would be made, never mind £3m.

Didnt Laws turn Scunny from a bottom League 2 side and get them into the championship? Didnt he also get Sheff Wed promoted?

Bit harsh calling him useless then saying how great Clough was getting Burton up two Divisons the Northern Premier league and the Conference in 10 years.

wow i never knew he was responsible for the new stadium, i thought that was the chairman's decision :p now clough is a planner of architecture we can get him to build a giant statue of himself next to his dad so we can all remember his blatant mediocrity at best :p like i say would you want steve cotteril who did more with cheltenham than clough did with burton, same with stevenage, same with stan ternant at one point as well and a lot of other managers who i wouldn't want here.

Yeah Burton were champions of the Northern Prem, the club were nowhere when he took over. League side now with a brand new stadium.

Im not saying he did a bad job there, he did well in time. I was just pointing out that he says Laws is useless yet the job he did taking scunny from the bottom of league 2 into the champ is at least on par.

About his job at Burton as I dont know was he backed with money and where were Burton in the spending at that level at the time?

Whilst I won't detract from Clough's achievement at Burton - you also have to credit some of that success down to Ben Robinson as well. If we'd had a Chairman as committed as he's been to Burton for the last God knows how many years then we'd all be so lucky!

wow i never knew he was responsible for the new stadium, i thought that was the chairman's decision :p now clough is a planner of architecture we can get him to build a giant statue of himself next to his dad so we can all remember his blatant mediocrity at best :p like i say would you want steve cotteril who did more with cheltenham than clough did with burton, same with stevenage, same with stan ternant at one point as well and a lot of other managers who i wouldn't want here.

I have to agree would we have looked at another manager who had won the Northern prem and Conference if his name wasnt Clough?

Anyway he is here now and its about time we had some success so lets hope for a good season and some good football

Archived