Positions to be filled in the squad?

RotherhamRam

Tom Glick in interview re Shackell

Left Back, Holding Midfielder and a Striker

In relation to this well documented who we are after.

Striker - Slightly confused is it Maguire or Waghorn up front - Or is Maguire being counted in the signed figures

Holding midfielder - has to be Eustace as can not think of who else

Left Back - Could be the young lad Cresswell - which strenghtens that rumour.

However not only are these 3 positions mentioned he did say on top of this there is the scope for loans and creative loans in that as well.

This is definately investment and I for one can not argue with the transactions as they have improved the squad and new players are confident as well. Still a week left before pre-season giving everyone chance to bed in together.

What is everyones view on this in respect of positions to fill and do we think these are the missing positions to fill? For me yes

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got to admit that we've read names being linked with us over the past few weeks and months, and nearly all of them have been true, none of the transfers have come out of the blue, so it makes me think we are seriously going to try and buy Waghorn and Eustace, and obviously Maguire is 99% a Derby player now.

Would be very, very relieved to see a good solid intelligent DM arrive. Nothing fancy, just a no nonesense player who was almost a CB until he discovered he could play a bit.

I don't mind Roberts. But a versatile full back would be good. Bujis and Billy Jones were linked at one point so it'd be nice if one of the key things we're looking for in a LB is that he can play other roles like those two can. Couldn't Jones play RB and LB?? Shame we couldn't get him. I don't ever want to see Brayford or Pearson at LB. I don't ever want to see Leacock or Anderson or Green at RB. Only in the most dire emergency would i think that was ok. I'd have Moxey and McEvely back on bloody loan to see that no one is pretending to be something their not.

Well, tbf, Green at RB isn't so horrific. But it shouldn't be a regular thing!

Well, tbf, Green at RB isn't so horrific. But it shouldn't be a regular thing!

It would be at the minute being as he can barely walk!

Glick says we are after 2 more strikers..why? We already have

Tyson

Ward

Robinson

Davies

Ball

Probably Maguire

I would rather we got the CM/DM and LB sorted. Seems a bit OTT in the striker department to me.

Tyson

Ward

Robinson

Davies

Ball

Probably Maguire

I would rather we got the CM/DM and LB sorted. Seems a bit OTT in the striker department to me.

If you assume that we will play with one main striker then two wide forwards and Robinson and Ball are considered 'for the future' players then we don't look quite so top heavy.

Tyson, Ward, Robinson, Davies, Maquire and Waghorn = 6 players for three positions seems about right to me.

Its ok nige saying that they are "for the future" but unfortunately these players aren't being given the chance at Derby and we end up letting them go. I would say that Theo is there or there abouts and if he doesn't come good in the next season he needs to move for regular football. It must be hard for Ball to see us signing all of these players that will be a head of him in the pecking order when he has been doing so well in the ressies without really being given a chance in the first team. I can't see Tyson, Ward or Waghorn being happy about sitting out matches on the bench either. Just seems like we have realised that we didn't score enough goals last season so are buying up strikers whilst ignoring the fact we only have 1 left back and he is ****.

Maguire isn't really a striker in the system we normally play, neither is ward for that matter. Ward wasn't played as "striker" as such most of his loan either, and I suspect that Maguire is to be played in the same way.

Its ok nige saying that they are "for the future" but unfortunately these players aren't being given the chance at Derby and we end up letting them go. I would say that Theo is there or there abouts and if he doesn't come good in the next season he needs to move for regular football. It must be hard for Ball to see us signing all of these players that will be a head of him in the pecking order when he has been doing so well in the ressies without really being given a chance in the first team. I can't see Tyson, Ward or Waghorn being happy about sitting out matches on the bench either. Just seems like we have realised that we didn't score enough goals last season so are buying up strikers whilst ignoring the fact we only have 1 left back and he is ****.

4-2-3-1:

Cywka - Maguire - Ward

- - - - - - Waghorn - - - -

or:

Maguire - Waghorn - Ward

- - - - - - - -Tyson - - - - - - -

4-3-3:

Maguire - - - - - - - - - - -Ward

- - - - - - - -Waghorn - - - - -

We're not planning on playing 2 strikers as out and out strikers I wouldn't think. Probably more looking to play the system we did last season. As such they are doing the right thing. Why? Because Maguire and Ward are better as more creative players behind a main striker, which will probably be Waghorn. We could also use Tyson up front for his pace. None of our current crop are as good up front as Waghorn should be. He's also a different type of striker and that's why we're after him. We've also got Davies who is definitely a good player on the left or up front. In fact we used to complain that he was being played "out of position" up front. We'll actually have some bloody options up front next season so let's actually just wait and see what happens rather than questioning Nigel before we've even kicked a ball!

4-2-3-1:

Cywka - Maguire - Ward

- - - - - - Waghorn - - - -

or:

Maguire - Waghorn - Ward

- - - - - - - -Tyson - - - - - - -

4-3-3:

Maguire - - - - - - - - - - -Ward

- - - - - - - -Waghorn - - - - -

We're not planning on playing 2 strikers as out and out strikers I wouldn't think. Probably more looking to play the system we did last season. As such they are doing the right thing. Why? Because Maguire and Ward are better as more creative players behind a main striker, which will probably be Waghorn. We could also use Tyson up front for his pace. None of our current crop are as good up front as Waghorn should be. He's also a different type of striker and that's why we're after him. We've also got Davies who is definitely a good player on the left or up front. In fact we used to complain that he was being played "out of position" up front. We'll actually have some bloody options up front next season so let's actually just wait and see what happens rather than questioning Nigel before we've even kicked a ball!

Not so much questioning as worrying that we don't have a LB. I would rather us not sign "ones for the future" in our current situation and concentrate on signing them for now. The reserves are ones for the future, so why sign more players who aren''t going to get a look in either? We have Tyson who has been told he will play through the middle, we are signing Maguire who is a centre forward, we have Davies who is a CF (apparently) and Ball also- why sign another CF? Like I say I am not questioning Nige, I am sure he knows what he is doing but I wish he would sign a LB and a midfielder before signing yet more strikers.

Where does Doyle fit in with all this? Is Ben Davies going?

Not so much questioning as worrying that we don't have a LB. I would rather us not sign "ones for the future" in our current situation and concentrate on signing them for now. The reserves are ones for the future, so why sign more players who aren''t going to get a look in either? We have Tyson who has been told he will play through the middle, we are signing Maguire who is a centre forward, we have Davies who is a CF (apparently) and Ball also- why sign another CF? Like I say I am not questioning Nige, I am sure he knows what he is doing but I wish he would sign a LB and a midfielder before signing yet more strikers.

Where does Doyle fit in with all this? Is Ben Davies going?

I don't think the order in which players are signed is of great importance. It's not always a factor that can be controlled. It's who/what positions are filled that is crucial. We will sign a LB.

Again, we really have 3-4 positions that "strikers" will play in. Maguire will be playing in one of those positions behind the striker if we go with a 4-2-3-1 or out wide in a 4-3-3. He's not the sort of striker (from what I've seen and heard) that is going to be played through the middle. As for Ball, he's still young and he's probably going to be our only "big striker", though I don't think he'll be a regular this season. Doyle might play on the right of a 4-3-3 at times or in the 3 in a 4-2-3-1, but he's not a started either. You can't see this as: "they can all play as a striker, but oh noes you can only have 2 in a 4-4-2" as that's not what we'll be doing. We'll also have depth (dear god no!!!!!!!!!).

So, who have we got that can play in those 2-4 positions:

Tyson

S Davies

Ward

Robinson

Doyle

B Davies

Ball

Cywka

Add to that Maguire and Waghorn and we've got 10, 2 of which are for the future making it really 8 for 2-4 positions. If we try going with the 4-2-3-1 as worked so well early last season then it will be 4. As such we have 2 players for 4 positions. That's a good number, with a further 2 for the future. I can't really see the problem there. Then when we consider that the 3 that will likely play up top are Tyson, Waghorn, Steve Davies and Ball on occasion whilst Ward, Ben Davies, Cywka, and Maguire will likely play in that 3 behind, then having that many is a good option. It's not like we're planning to play 4-4-2 and have suddenly thought that having 10 strikers (I know Ben Davies isn't a striker) is a good option. It's that we've got 10 attacking players for 4 attacking positions and that we'll want to make sure that we have depth and options for the new year so that when we lose a player (ie Commons or Bueno) it doesn't mangle our game plan and force us to change our style of play (those not having Hulse or Kuqi was in truth at fault for that). Let's see what happens, trust Nigel on this one.

As for the other positions, they are still after a midfielder and a leftback, give them time, it's still very early.

I honestly think, with us not going for any wingers better than what we currently have, and with us getting a few centre midfielders and strikers in, I reckon we will be playing 4-3-3, especially at home, sometimes away, and maybe 4-51 at some away games.

That would explain the abundance of strikers, Waghorn, Maguire, Davies and at a push Tyson can play in the middle, Ward, Robinson on the right, Tyson, Davies on the left.

Ball would probably go out on loan.

It would be at the minute being as he can barely walk!

Tyson

Ward

Robinson

Davies

Ball

Probably Maguire

The reason why for me is I think we are in deed playing 4231. The players who have come in yes are strikers but are proven in the attacking three position. Tyson on the left of the three, Ward on the Right, Maguire in the middle as was Commons. The one player who played up front was Robinson and Davies, Robinson is not really suited for outright up front so will cover the three players behind. Same with S.Davies it would be a gamble to bank on him up front when he is injury prone and still not match fit after a knee reconstruction. We do not want to be like last yr when we had 6 strikers at beginning of season but with injuries/transfersout ended up with Moxey in that position. Ball is only just getting ready to break into the 1st team squad and would be a gamble to rely upon therefore this means for me we still need an extra one with Maguire who can play that position. For me Waghorm is ideal because with an attacking quartet of Tyson Waghorn Ward Maguire as a defensive midfielder and defence who on earth do you defend. All four can interchange and move across the attacking line. Further to this as a full back would you risk pushing up knowing you had those four waiting to run into the gap behind them andd exploiting it. Look at Ward when he came the fullback marking him hardly ever pushed forward due to knowing that he was quick and could exploit the gap. We are looking at having 4 of these upfront.

That for me is why we are after Maguire and another striker which will hopefully be Waghorn.

Now in Defensive Midfield we have Bailey and Bryson already there, Addison will be on 6 month loan to get fit to come back and will move back into that position so on other defensive midfielder will be good don't need more. Green will be back after Xmas as was S.Davies so add him to the mix for the second half of the season. Further to this you have Ben Davies (who must regret being here now as it did not work out straight away), Croft if he is training as well as some have reported, Doyle Hendrick to cover in case of injuries just to name 4.

Centre Half positions we have Barker and Shackell as 1st choice, then Anderson then Leacock (whilst here) and then Buxton if the other four are injured and will do a job, When Addison back from loan can also do an excellant job and will jump above Anderson when back. So that position is now covered.

Right back is Brayford and Left Back Roberts no real cover. Young fullback the lad from tranmere sounds good because he can cover both position if required. So provides cover. Worst case scenario Barker can play RB (if Brayford and the other full back injured) and Anderson can step in there and Shackell can play LB if same as Brayford scenario.

Further to this another goalkeeper the one who a few clubs are interested is the lad from (Burton not another low league signing before some have said). He is good player who will keep Fielding on his toes and can step in if required. We have learnt not having 2 keepers pushing each other they get lazy and once that startes the rot steps in.

This for me has been well planned and has been planned not just coming up to the end of the season but since Xmas where it was obvious where the problems were. THe protests and atmosphere in the ground helped to move things on quickly. What is really impressive is how quick they have done all of this business. Also Glick learnt a lesson in January you do not have time too pi$h about otherwise you lose the business to others. Further to this the football director as said earlier is not for this transfer window as they had clear targets and hit hard and quick. The director is for the January window to look if we are up and about the playoff area the Jan window is really important and can make the difference of making it or missing out. Therefore good business again.

In respect of CLough and the question can he actually spend money wisely? The first chance he has had proper money to spend for me he has done that. Not one lower league player in the mix. Tyson championship proven, Ward Proven with us last yr, Fielding U21 and proved it last yr, Bryson (capt at killie and reported best player), Shackell (captain proven championship and player of the season), Robinson is development shown glimpses and should learn from others but played in Championship for Millwall and us.

The positions and players have been picked out well and have been in positions where needed. I will not be getting my money back lets hope preseason can get them together quickly.

Bryson is an attacking midfielder. If we play 4231, expect him to play the ol' Paul Green role through the middle.

I'd expect us to sign a Left Back, 2 midfielders & 2 strikers. Also depending if /when players are sold, then maybe more will come in also.

The reason why for me is I think we are in deed playing 4231. The players who have come in yes are strikers but are proven in the attacking three position. Tyson on the left of the three, Ward on the Right, Maguire in the middle as was Commons. The one player who played up front was Robinson and Davies, Robinson is not really suited for outright up front so will cover the three players behind. Same with S.Davies it would be a gamble to bank on him up front when he is injury prone and still not match fit after a knee reconstruction. We do not want to be like last yr when we had 6 strikers at beginning of season but with injuries/transfersout ended up with Moxey in that position. Ball is only just getting ready to break into the 1st team squad and would be a gamble to rely upon therefore this means for me we still need an extra one with Maguire who can play that position. For me Waghorm is ideal because with an attacking quartet of Tyson Waghorn Ward Maguire as a defensive midfielder and defence who on earth do you defend. All four can interchange and move across the attacking line. Further to this as a full back would you risk pushing up knowing you had those four waiting to run into the gap behind them andd exploiting it. Look at Ward when he came the fullback marking him hardly ever pushed forward due to knowing that he was quick and could exploit the gap. We are looking at having 4 of these upfront.

That for me is why we are after Maguire and another striker which will hopefully be Waghorn.

Now in Defensive Midfield we have Bailey and Bryson already there, Addison will be on 6 month loan to get fit to come back and will move back into that position so on other defensive midfielder will be good don't need more. Green will be back after Xmas as was S.Davies so add him to the mix for the second half of the season. Further to this you have Ben Davies (who must regret being here now as it did not work out straight away), Croft if he is training as well as some have reported, Doyle Hendrick to cover in case of injuries just to name 4.

Centre Half positions we have Barker and Shackell as 1st choice, then Anderson then Leacock (whilst here) and then Buxton if the other four are injured and will do a job, When Addison back from loan can also do an excellant job and will jump above Anderson when back. So that position is now covered.

Right back is Brayford and Left Back Roberts no real cover. Young fullback the lad from tranmere sounds good because he can cover both position if required. So provides cover. Worst case scenario Barker can play RB (if Brayford and the other full back injured) and Anderson can step in there and Shackell can play LB if same as Brayford scenario.

Further to this another goalkeeper the one who a few clubs are interested is the lad from (Burton not another low league signing before some have said). He is good player who will keep Fielding on his toes and can step in if required. We have learnt not having 2 keepers pushing each other they get lazy and once that startes the rot steps in.

This for me has been well planned and has been planned not just coming up to the end of the season but since Xmas where it was obvious where the problems were. THe protests and atmosphere in the ground helped to move things on quickly. What is really impressive is how quick they have done all of this business. Also Glick learnt a lesson in January you do not have time too pi$h about otherwise you lose the business to others. Further to this the football director as said earlier is not for this transfer window as they had clear targets and hit hard and quick. The director is for the January window to look if we are up and about the playoff area the Jan window is really important and can make the difference of making it or missing out. Therefore good business again.

In respect of CLough and the question can he actually spend money wisely? The first chance he has had proper money to spend for me he has done that. Not one lower league player in the mix. Tyson championship proven, Ward Proven with us last yr, Fielding U21 and proved it last yr, Bryson (capt at killie and reported best player), Shackell (captain proven championship and player of the season), Robinson is development shown glimpses and should learn from others but played in Championship for Millwall and us.

The positions and players have been picked out well and have been in positions where needed. I will not be getting my money back lets hope preseason can get them together quickly.

Knew I missed one when typing Cywka will also be pushing hard in the attacking 3 behind the striker.

I would not like to come to Derby with this strike force as you would not know who would be playing unless injuries/suspension. Who could not choose who to play and where or a plan on how to tackle us. I would if I was Clough mix it up a bit once teams start figuring out how to play the 4231 then chuck in a 433 to keep teams guessing. I am really starting to get a tad excited. Clough just get them gelling just to put the pieces that are ready into place

I expect 4-3-3 by the current looks of things, and I fully expect there to be a new defensive midfielder and striker added to the starting 11, perhaps a left back but I do think Roberts will get his chance in pre season and it's his position to lose, so to speak.

I still think we need that Waghorn type striker who would be the fox in the box, obviously the 2 wide players are going to be the legs, I think Tyson will be on the left hand side and Ward on the right and Waghorn in the middle, if we get Waghorn. It certainly gives us a good strength in depth in this area, and in midfield, defence and in goal.. our squad will be filled, we will have a strong squad and I think we'll certainly look a good side.

I just can't wait for the first game, knowing all this and our luck.. watch Shackell brake his leg within the pre-season friendlies and Barker doesn't recover for months, we start the season with Anderson and Buxton as our centre halves. It takes the glamour off.

Archived