FAO very old people.......

uttoxram75

Back in the 70's there was a snooker/pool club by the Spot island. I distinctly remember going in there, up the stairs and getting served under age, and displaying my supreme talents on the green baize.

They also served hot pies and pasties (must have had the worlds first microwave!).

It was a popular place around 1975ish on a Saturday lunchtime before the match.

Can some old scrote confirm I am not quite senile yet as a colleague reckons there was no such place.

What was it called and when did it get demolished?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Back in the 70's there was a snooker/pool club by the Spot island. I distinctly remember going in there, up the stairs and getting served under age, and displaying my supreme talents on the green baize.

They also served hot pies and pasties (must have had the worlds first microwave!).

It was a popular place around 1975ish on a Saturday lunchtime before the match.

Can some old scrote confirm I am not quite senile yet as a colleague reckons there was no such place.

What was it called and when did it get demolished?

You sure do know how to persuade us to help you Uttox;)

there was such a place - can't remember its name though - which I too went to for a season or so in the 70's. Can't recall when it closed but I think it was demolished when all the changes were made around the Spot.

You sure do know how to persuade us to help you Uttox;)

there was such a place - can't remember its name though - which I too went to for a season or so in the 70's. Can't recall when it closed but I think it was demolished when all the changes were made around the Spot.

It was pointless aiming it at the young uns ilkley...:D

cheers anyway mate!

I think ICI Paints had a club up there. My first under-age pint there but there was only one snooker table and a couple of pool tables so maybe not the place you're talking about

It could well have been that one, struggling to remember how many tables tbh. Cheers anyway.

Definitely bringing the owd 'uns out though........;)

Jeez i am losing it - I mean Cockpitt Island... duh.:confused::oops:

The snooker place was down by The cockpitt island, on the right as you approach from Traffic Street, possibly where the junction is for Pride Park now?

Think the place you mean was a bar called the Derby Pride, it was on Cockpit island and we used to go there before and after matches cos it was near to the bus station for the bus to Chesterfield. It didnt look much from outside and you had to go upstairs to it but it was deceptively big inside, full of pool tables. Sold Everards bitter if I remember right.

Think the place you mean was a bar called the Derby Pride, it was on Cockpit island and we used to go there before and after matches cos it was near to the bus station for the bus to Chesterfield. It didnt look much from outside and you had to go upstairs to it but it was deceptively big inside, full of pool tables. Sold Everards bitter if I remember right.

That sounds more like it!

Archived