Forest / Rams links

admira

I'd be surprised if people genuinely thought that neutrals should consider our derby bigger than others. The comment that we aren't even in the top 10 in England got me thinking, I was convinced we should be, but quickly rattled off the following rivalries that are definitely higher profile than ours:

Man Utd/Liverpool - for me the undisputed #1, and the first non-DCFC game I look for

Man Utd/Man City

Liverpool/Everton

Arsenal/Tottenham

Newcastle/Sunderland

And some that are at least similar in size

Aston Villa/Birmingham

Chelsea/QPR

Sheffield Utd/Wed

Wolves/WBA

Southampton/Portsmouth

Ipswich/Norwich

Dirty Leeds/Rest of the World

Then smaller fanbases, but arguably fiercer rivalries

Bristol City/Cardiff

Swansea/Cardiff

WHU/Millwall

Blackburn/Burnley

Preston/Blackpool

MK Dons/Wimbledon - I can see that being violent when it happens

Cardiff/Swansea

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because our rivalry didn't really kick off until Clough went there in the 70s?

I don't think it even started then.This seems to be a comparitively newish 'rivalry'.As one of the 'old uns' I really couldn't be arsed with Forest they are an irrelevance.They get mentioned sometimes more than our own team on our own boards.I can't recall anything approaching serious rivalry as long ago as that. Leeds for me are THE scumbags,and always will be.

All sorts of historical baggage also can contribute way outside of football.

Soton vs Pompey gets a bit tasty - and the rivalry extends more or less across the whole indigenous population of each city. They really do not like each other. One of the reasons given to me by some particularly ancient local was that it was common practice up until around 1910 for Southampton men (typically merchant seamen) to be literally press-ganged in the city pubs by Portsmouth based gangs employed by the Royal Navy to "recruit".

our rivalry with Nottingham is much more contained around the football clubs. Has to be. We don't have as many guns.

All sorts of historical baggage also can contribute way outside of football.

Soton vs Pompey gets a bit tasty - and the rivalry extends more or less across the whole indigenous population of each city. They really do not like each other. One of the reasons given to me by some particularly ancient local was that it was common practice up until around 1910 for Southampton men (typically merchant seamen) to be literally press-ganged in the city pubs by Portsmouth based gangs employed by the Royal Navy to "recruit".

our rivalry with Nottingham is much more contained around the football clubs. Has to be. We don't have as many guns.

There is also the fact that when the dock workers of Portsmouth went on strike (don't know when) they brought in dockers from Southampton and this is why Pompey call Southampton fans "Scummers". I know a pompey fan and the level of passionate hatred he has for Southampton is quite breathtaking ( a bit like me and Stoke but I'm probably on my own with that one)

There is also the fact that when the dock workers of Portsmouth went on strike (don't know when) they brought in dockers from Southampton and this is why Pompey call Southampton fans "Scummers". I know a pompey fan and the level of passionate hatred he has for Southampton is quite breathtaking ( a bit like me and Stoke but I'm probably on my own with that one)

Yer not on yer own SR....

I don't think it even started then.This seems to be a comparitively newish 'rivalry'.As one of the 'old uns' I really couldn't be arsed with Forest they are an irrelevance.They get mentioned sometimes more than our own team on our own boards.I can't recall anything approaching serious rivalry as long ago as that. Leeds for me are THE scumbags,and always will be.

First fixture i look for....;)

The team I hate more than any other is Corby Town; the only club in the country I have a reason to hate. But we're unlikely to ever have to play them so...

I love Forest for the passion in the games, but I don't really have any genuine reason to hate them as such. I mean, yeah, their fans annoy the hell out of me - but they're trying to. Our petty insults torwards them are pathetic really as well half the time, it's not that good a local rivalry if you want hatred. It's not the Sheffield derby or the Manchester derby.

The team I hate more than any other is Corby Town; the only club in the country I have a reason to hate. But we're unlikely to ever have to play them so...

I love Forest for the passion in the games, but I don't really have any genuine reason to hate them as such. I mean, yeah, their fans annoy the hell out of me - but they're trying to. Our petty insults torwards them are pathetic really as well half the time, it's not that good a local rivalry if you want hatred. It's not the Sheffield derby or the Manchester derby.

Really? I feel alot of hatred when we play them.

It feels bigger than the Sheffield derby or Manchester derby to me, but that's what I was saying earlier - I don't think a derby is defined by it's history (but as it goes, we've got a shedload of it), or the amount of titles/cups/honours won between the two (not so many), but more about how it makes a supporter feel. And I really hate them.

I also think they're absolutely classless (as per the disabled supporters ticket farce), and they basically live off the Clough era. Which, as someone who wasn't around at that time, I don't think we do that much. A statue here and a song there, but honestly, re-releasing the green Umbro jumper?!

Archived