Messi....... Is he one of the Greatest ever players? Or do Barca make it seem so?

Alph

This is so wrong on so many levels I that I might have to lie down.

Q. The worlds greatest player beyond doubt ...Clue.....4 letters.....P something something E

Yet you provide nothing to support what you say? It's down to everyones personal opinions and at least I justified what I wrote.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pele is not the greatest player ever, not by a long shot. My granny could score goals in that league. If your looking for the greatest striker of all time, then look no further than Ronaldo, the Brazilian of course.

If he didn't have his injury problems then yeah, but he was injured a lot at his peak with Inter, definitely up there though, fantastic record for PSV and Barca.

I often tell my wife (when she is forced to watch football with me) that 'he' (Messi) is the best player ever, but when I think about who would have more impact on a team, I'd have to say C.Ronaldo would be higher on my list. If C.Ronaldo wasn't such a winker, I'd think higher of him.

Messi is the best footballer I have ever seen. Impossible to say whether he's the best ever because no one has lived that long, but to score over 50 goals in a season is freakish. His technique is incredible, and more importantly, he plays the game in the right way.

I think the 'best player ever' debate is all a matter of opinion - although Ronaldo (fat, Brazilian, not greasy, Portugese) wouldn't make my top 10.

Messi is the best footballer I have ever seen. Impossible to say whether he's the best ever because no one has lived that long, but to score over 50 goals in a season is freakish. His technique is incredible, and more importantly, he plays the game in the right way.

I think the 'best player ever' debate is all a matter of opinion - although Ronaldo (fat, Brazilian, not greasy, Portugese) wouldn't make my top 10.

Cristaino Ronaldo has got 54 this season - 41 in the league, 7 in the Copa Del Rey and 6 in the Champions League.

Not bad going either. Would like to see him in a Barcelona team.

Cristaino Ronaldo has got 54 this season - 41 in the league, 7 in the Copa Del Rey and 6 in the Champions League.

Not bad going either. Would like to see him in a Barcelona team.

Including 11 in the last few games whereby they had nothing to play for and his players passed to him to help him achieve the Pichichi trophy.

Including 11 in the last few games whereby they had nothing to play for and his players passed to him to help him achieve the Pichichi trophy.

Woah there cerry. Didn't say he was better than Messi, just would like to see him in the Barcelona team.

I think this is one of those arguments that will run & run until the end of time simply because the game evolves with time. Sir Stanley Matthews is widely regarded as one of the greatest English players of all time but if you watch the old newsreel footage of him all he ever really did was drop a shoulder to beat his man, you see that on a Sunday down the race coarse every weekend nowadays. There's no telling if Eusebio, Pushkas, Pele, Best, Beckenbeur & Bobby's Moore/Charlton could've played in our era due to the pace of it. There's also those who say say Ronaldo (fatso & winker), Messi & Maradonna would've struggled with the physical side of the game back in the 40s and 50s. It's all about personal opinions, both Zidane & Xazi have both said that Paul Scholes is the greatest midfielder there's ever been and you'd think they'd know a thing or two about midfielders so who's to argue with them???

Personally my faves are

Zidane - Made the game look effortless

Pele - over 1000 career goals and did it in the big games.

Maradonna - as much as I hate the fat little, cheating drug addict he was one hell of a player.

Back to the original argument you'll only have a true reflection of how important Messi is to Barca until he's absent through injury for a decent amount of time, if they struggle to match their heights then it'd be clear he's as important to them as they're important to him. Plus until he's won, or at least got through to the later stages of the World Cup he won't be revered as much as the three players above in a lot of people’s opinion.

. Plus until he's won, or at least got through to the later stages of the World Cup he won't be revered as much as the three players above in a lot of people’s opinion.

Why does someone have to win a World Cup to be regarded as one of the best ever? George Best was outstanding, and he never won a WC so does that make him suddenly 'ineligible' for a debate on the best ever? Everyone knows that European club football is better and more widely revered than the WC.

Why does someone have to win a World Cup to be regarded as one of the best ever? George Best was outstanding, and he never won a WC so does that make him suddenly 'ineligible' for a debate on the best ever? Everyone knows that European club football is better and more widely revered than the WC.

Because that's a lot of peoples gold standard. Admittedly they're a lot of great players who've never won a World Cup or even featured in the finals I'm just saying most people would say great players step up when playing in the biggest football competition on the planet. Especially those players who were put under pressure to carry teams in such competitions eg Maradonna in '86, Beckham '02, Rooney '10. Come to think of it where England players are concerned that's just our press blowing things out of proportion :)

No doubt Messi is a class act but you don't become a true great unless you win the World Cup imo. I do love the way he muggs players off with ease, but the guy wont be in the same catagory as. Maradona, Pele, ZZ, Romario, Ronadlo(Fat cnut), Xavi, untill he wins the World Cup.

Messi scored this goal when he was 19-20. He's scored many goals where he's rounded 4 or 5 players with ease. The goal against Real Madrid in he CL was prety special. He scored a beauty against Lyon 2 years ago aswell.

But you only do the following things if you're a special special player. Like..

- Score 12 goals in a CL campaign.

- Score 53 goals in a season which includes a domestic and European double

- Score 4 goals in 1 game against Arsenal

- Win the MOTM award for both semi-final and final of The CL, scoring great goals in both

- Score a goal by dribbling past 4/5 players from inside you're own half

- Be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Pele/Maradona

- Win World Player Of The Year two times running. He will win it again this year, how can't he? Top goalscorer plus winner of league and european cup.

Ronaldo should also be up there with the likes of Zidane aswell. He might not wn a world cup with Portugal, but his goal scoring record also speaks volumes. He will also win another CL with Real one day. Not as good as Messi, but a fabulous player also.

Top 20..

Pele, Maradona, Messi, Zidane, Cruyff, C Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Platini, Maldini, Best, Xavi,

Help me out guys, especially with the older ones.. Some decisions are going to be debatable, but the 11 I just mentioned are certainties no? I'd throw in Hugo Sanchez as a personal favourite, not sure he's in the top 20 though!

Don't I remember a decent north-east footballer with a respectable strike record, 251 league goals in 274 games IIRC. Surely he should make this list.

Are you talking about Shearer?

Has he actually won anything other than his one championship medal with Blackburn? He must be kicking himself, with a record that good he should have bettered himself than a midtable PL club like Newcastle who had a few unsuccessful stints in Europe. A great striker, hardly an all time great though but each to their own.

If you're not talking about Shearer I'm stumped..

Archived