Messi....... Is he one of the Greatest ever players? Or do Barca make it seem so?

Alph

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:mad: Nigel's Dad of course!!

Oh right, yeh because for a guy who was born in the 80s I'll surely be a master on football from the 50s/60s era. I have absoloutley no idea on his playing career, how many trophies he won etc.

All 3 have are good shouts Worksop.. Does anyone know if Geoff Hurst have a good club career? Other than scoring a hattrick in our only World Cup win, I don't know anything else about him.

Pele is not the greatest player ever, not by a long shot. My granny could score goals in that league. If your looking for the greatest striker of all time, then look no further than Ronaldo, the Brazilian of course.

Sorry Edin, that's rubbish. Pele's Santos side was invited to play in Europe on numerous occasions, and Pele often single-handedly won them those games against the Internazionales and Real Madrids of the day. And this is also a time when far more Brazilians played in Brazil, it's not like today. There's also the fact that Pele shone in World Cups, even against defences which were ahead of their time, such as Italy.

All the young posters here are completely dismissing Pele and Maradonna, with the exception of me; listen to the older posters who can actually compare these players.

Also need to bare in mind that every single one of Messi's competitive matches have been caught on camera. It's tragic we have no footage of Matthews or Bloomer.

Oh right, yeh because for a guy who was born in the 80s I'll surely be a master on football from the 50s/60s era. I have absoloutley no idea on his playing career, how many trophies he won etc.

All 3 have are good shouts Worksop.. Does anyone know if Geoff Hurst have a good club career? Other than scoring a hattrick in our only World Cup win, I don't know anything else about him.

Well I was born in 1994 and I knew who he was on about ;)

Brian Clough would have been an ace footballer - part of the reason why he was such a good manager is that he was such a fine master of the game himself and that he had the intelligence to teach average footballers to become world-class. It was tragic that his injury cut his career short, and tragic that his lippyness prevented him having a flourishing career for England. He really was a top talent, from what I hear, and also from the little clips I've seen of his playing days. Even in his managing days, players said he still had a magic touch.

It's tragic we have no footage of Matthews or Bloomer.

It was tragic that his injury cut his career short, and tragic that his lippyness prevented him having a flourishing career for England. He really was a top talent, from what I hear, and also from the little clips I've seen of his playing days. Even in his managing days, players said he still had a magic touch.

:):):):D

Sorry Edin, that's rubbish. Pele's Santos side was invited to play in Europe on numerous occasions, and Pele often single-handedly won them those games against the Internazionales and Real Madrids of the day. And this is also a time when far more Brazilians played in Brazil, it's not like today. There's also the fact that Pele shone in World Cups, even against defences which were ahead of their time, such as Italy.

All the young posters here are completely dismissing Pele and Maradonna, with the exception of me; listen to the older posters who can actually compare these players.

Also need to bare in mind that every single one of Messi's competitive matches have been caught on camera. It's tragic we have no footage of Matthews or Bloomer.

I'm not writing off Maradona and Pele, I'm writing off Pele. Ronaldo was a far better striker.

I'm not writing off Maradona and Pele, I'm writing off Pele. Ronaldo was a far better striker.

But why? Fair enough if you come up with a good reason, but the Brazilian league was in the top 10 in Pele's day, and he excelled in numerous World Cups. Ronaldo only really shone in 2.

But why? Fair enough if you come up with a good reason, but the Brazilian league was in the top 10 in Pele's day, and he excelled in numerous World Cups. Ronaldo only really shone in 2.

I don't think he proved himself in the best leagues in the world. It would have been like Ronaldo staying at PSV for the majority of his career, and still having the same international success. I'm not saying Pele wasn't a great player, but I don't think he can be mentioned in the same breath as Ronaldo. I do rate Ronaldo very very highly though.

but pele did play in many games against the likes of benfica, inter milan etc and scored brilliant goals and played brilliantly, he did brilliantly in the world cups he played and that was against the best players in the world. Back in the day as well, people like pele didn't have protection, not like messi who if he is touched could go down and get a free kick.

I don't think he proved himself in the best leagues in the world. It would have been like Ronaldo staying at PSV for the majority of his career, and still having the same international success. I'm not saying Pele wasn't a great player, but I don't think he can be mentioned in the same breath as Ronaldo. I do rate Ronaldo very very highly though.

I'm sorry, but that's not quite fair in comparison. For a start, the world's best players weren't concentrated in just the 3 or 4 leagues in the late 50s, 60s and early 70s (the eras Pele's amazing career included), they were pretty equally distributed over about 10 leagues. Pele could really have had more difficult challenges in terms of defences in leagues like Germany or Italy but really, Brazil at that time was not that far behind at all.

Here's a video of some of the rare footage we have of Pele, in comparison to Maradonna, let alone Ronaldo and Messi. Bare in mind that most of these clips are coming from World Cup finals, and at a time when the balls weighed about twice what they do now and when the pitches were worse than your back garden.

but pele did play in many games against the likes of benfica, inter milan etc and scored brilliant goals and played brilliantly, he did brilliantly in the world cups he played and that was against the best players in the world. Back in the day as well, people like pele didn't have protection, not like messi who if he is touched could go down and get a free kick.

Completely agree. This video isn't really his best 20 goals, more like the only 20 goals this guy could put on his video, but almost every single one involves a challenge that would be a cast-iron foul in today's game. The defender had the advantage in his day:

lol.....writing off Pele.....as if.

I'd love to know how many assists some of these older players got. It only seems to be amount of goals that have kept publicised over time.

Maradona wouldn't look so good on that front, but Pele was a team player too.

Why are you so bloody obsessed with Pele, there were/are far better players out there.

Because he really really was the best player of all time. The videos show it and your reasoning for writing him off doesn't make sense.

Why not listen to posters like RamNut who watched these players? Everyone I've spoken or heard seen him play say he's the best player of all time.

Archived