Manchester Utd v Barcelona Champions League Final

froggg

Wembley Stadium

1945hrs

Live ITV1 HD, Skysports1 HD

Should be a great game, I'll always support the English clubs in Europe, barring notable exceptions......so for one night only ....C'monnnn Manure......My prediction 3-2 Manure in normal time:eek:;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really worried about the result. Hope united can 'do em'. When you compare players like for like, Barca come out on top in nearly every department. But we all know that games aren't won on paper!!.

I think Carrick is going to have to have one of the best games of his life tbh and let's see if Giggs still has his 'unflappable' composure now everything is a bit more public. I hope Vidic isn't exposed for pace again, this time by Messi, I remember him looking poor against Eto'o last time round. His defending was weak for Eto'os goal. And the FB's have to help keep a rigid line with the CB's. Evra has a tendancy to wander and Fabio needs to stay deeper until United can counter. Park and Valencia are going to be exhausted by the end of the match tho, Grafting required!!!.

For Barcelona, Busquets needs to be very solid. Wayne Rooney will be occupying the same portion of pitch and I'd like to think that WR can get the better of him tonight and the 'little pea' can put himself about amongst Pique and Puyol. Will Abidal play?, My guess is yes (He's started last 3 for Barca) which means Pique and Puyol as CB and no sign of Mascherano. This will be a bit of a shame for AF as Mascherano would more than likely have been given the runaround by Hernandez and Rooney as he never looks too comfortable slotting in at CB. The attacking 5 :eek: of Barca will be looking to disrupt United's back line and I feel that Carrick will have to drop very deep when Barca are in possession.

United need to catch Barca on the break to cut out most of their chances (Something they are effective at doing) but keep a rigid back line (Something that worries me). I'm a bit gutted that Fletcher hasn't played a lot recently (injury) as I prefer him to Carrick, Carrick really needs to 'Get in the faces' (As Jack Wilshere said) of Xavi/Inesta etc and help disrupt Barcas play. Looks like United are underdogs and it should be an interesting match...........

Prediction:

Man United 3-2 Barcelona (AET)

Same as Froggg, except I think the winner will have to come in Extra-Time. Could be a magical goal by Nani after he comes on and then some nervy yet resilient defending until the end by United.

COME ON UNITED!!!!!!

Easy Barca win 2-0.

Im not even excited for it as IMO its a mis match.. I love Barca but I honestly think Man Utd-Real Madrid would have made a better final with the Ronaldo, Mourinho, Fergie mix.

Players like Oshea, Park, Carrick, Fabio, Anderson etc. shouldnt be on the same pitch as Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Alves, Villa.. Its a total mis match.

If Utd win Fergie should retire..Would be his best achievement to date. This is David vs Goliath.

Easy Barca win 2-0.

Im not even excited for it as IMO its a mis match.. I love Barca but I honestly think Man Utd-Real Madrid would have made a better final with the Ronaldo, Mourinho, Fergie mix.

Players like Oshea, Park, Carrick, Fabio, Anderson etc. shouldnt be on the same pitch as Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Alves, Villa.. Its a total mis match.

If Utd win Fergie should retire..Would be his best achievement to date. This is David vs Goliath.

Think you're doing Manchester United a world of injustice there!

Ji-Sun Park turns it on in the big games, like few other players can. His improvised header against Arsenal was absolute genius, and if Messi had done it, we'd all be raving about it. It's a tad unfair comparing United's weaker players with Barca's stronge players anyway.

Barca can't compete with the experience of Giggs and they don't have the bite of Scholes. As soon as they come up against bite, some players in the Barca side don't look so great. Diarra always causes Barca problems, and if other Real players learned to show the same agression as him they'd do themselves a world of good.

United's player have aggression and skill. Yes, Barca probably have more skill, but this is as good an opposition as they can get.

Easy Barca win 2-0.

If Arsenal can beat them in 90 mins Manure certainly can, whether they do or not is a different matter:)

Hardly David vs Goliath. Barca are a 'Goliath Club' (If that even makes sense........think it does :)).

Man United beat the French Champions in Marseille (Runners-up this year),

The English Champions in Chelsea (Runners-up this year),

And battered a German side who defeated the Italian Champions (Runners-up this year).

The Turkish Champions (3rd this year) were beaten........means nothing tho! lol.

Completely destroyed Valencia who, for 2years running are 1st out of the 'next best' from La Liga.

And, most importantly, 3-times in a row champions of the ever mighty Scotland in Rangers.

A bit of fun in writing that lol, But they are hardly a David. They're Champions of England, By the biggest margin in 6 years!!.

Think you're doing Manchester United a world of injustice there!

Ji-Sun Park turns it on in the big games, like few other players can. His improvised header against Arsenal was absolute genius, and if Messi had done it, we'd all be raving about it. It's a tad unfair comparing United's weaker players with Barca's stronge players anyway.

Barca can't compete with the experience of Giggs and they don't have the bite of Scholes. As soon as they come up against bite, some players in the Barca side don't look so great. Diarra always causes Barca problems, and if other Real players learned to show the same agression as him they'd do themselves a world of good.

United's player have aggression and skill. Yes, Barca probably have more skill, but this is as good an opposition as they can get.

J'Sung Park is IMO a workhorse nothing more.. With the ball hes not a top player, without it is what mkes him a good player. He did score a fantastic goal against Arsenal, but hes probablyt only scored 4 or 5 goals or season..

Whilst Giggs and Scholes offer experience, I dont understnd your comments.. What is experience? As Xavi and Puyol have won everything, and are at an age where they know the game inside out.. Theyve had more big game finals that Giggs..

Diarra IMO is class, but to counter that its not like Barca arent short of options. Keita and Masch are both terrior type players, Man Utd dont have a Diarra, Scholes isnt that type of player, he cant tackle for toffee and SAF wont play him as he will get himself sent off..

Man Utd have had the easiest run in to the final in the history of the CL.. Marseille (not even the best team in France) plus the poorest Chelsea side since Abramovic took over plus Schalke (lower half in the Bundesliga).. Theyve dodged about 100 bullets by avoiding anyone of Milan, Spurs, Arsenal, Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern, Inter, Valencia or Shakhtar over 2 legs.. Those bolded are all capable of beating them over two legs..

I dont get where this Man Utd hype has come from.. I know the BBC have Barca down as easy winners, which might be unfair, but Man Utd have be lauded in every corner also, saying they could pick a team 4 times over.. (With who?) Ive seen them in big games this year against City, Liverpool, Arsenal and theyve been beaten comfortably and looked like they genuinely lacked quality players.. Rooney was right when he handed in a transfer request because he was worried, other than him, Giggs and Vidic the rest IMO are workhorses or extremely inconsistant.

Man Utd have had the easiest run in to the final in the history of the CL.. Marseille (not even the best team in France) plus the poorest Chelsea side since Abramovic took over plus Schalke (lower half in the Bundesliga).. Theyve dodged about 100 bullets by avoiding anyone of Milan, Spurs, Arsenal, Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern, Inter, Valencia or Shakhtar over 2 legs.. Those bolded are all capable of beating them over two legs..

I dont get where this Man Utd hype has come from.. I know the BBC have Barca down as easy winners, which might be unfair

Then why put the un-bolded (Not even a real word) teams in. To try and make your case a bit more 'Meaty'?.

Spurs beat Milan for starters and Inter (over 2 games)......just. So that's the Italian teams out, I mean, Schalke embarrassed Inter and United, in turn, Embarrassed them. I also believe that United would beat Spurs (As they only we're slightly better over 2 games than a terrible Inter side). Valencia were 'effectively' beaten by Man United in the group stages and lost to Schalke also. Shakhtar were a surprise package until they met an actual decent team and I think United would have got past them too. Bayern, who you say could beat united lost to Inter too. Of course, this is all speculation, But just trying to respond to your poor (IMO) comments.

So you've highlighted 4 teams who could beat United over 2 legs (In your opinion)...wow, Obviously we will never know that or find that out. But Arsenal could have beat Barca, Real Madrid are capable (but didn't) and If you swap United for Barca in the list, Then I think Barca might agree that United would be capable of doing them in 2 legs. Bayern Munich shouldn't even have been made 'bold'.

The Man United 'Hype' Has come from seeing an English team reach a Champions League final against 'The best team ever put together' (Alledgedly) in our National Stadium. I want the English team to win and so do many others (Not all).

And you contradict yourself by making schoolboy comments of it being David v Goliath and 'easy barca win', But when the BBC say it................it's unfair!?!. Mental.........

Barca are favourites, But I will support an English team in the National stadium against the most hyped about and 'bummed' team to ever walk across the face of the planet.

COME ON UNITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didnt really know where to start with your post buddy, I could pick peices from it all day.. Bayern are a top team for starters (anyone that saw them against Inter will know they were incredibly unfortunate), beating Valencia 1-0 thanks to a goal 10 mins from time isn't 'effectively' beating a team.. Plus your logic on Spurs beating Italian teams therefore excluding them doesnt make any sense, and that of Shakthar who topped Arsenals group.

Anyway, guess we'll just have to see what happens.. Either way I think I'll stay away from the boards tonight, they'll be a host of bickering and I told you so posts.. Plus Plan B will be around shortly to tell everyone how Barca cheated there way to glory.

I personally think (and hope) Barca will win easily enough.. This English pride thing is nonsense, especially when Man Utd are littered with foreign players.

Didnt really know where to start with your post buddy, I could pick peices from it all day.. Bayern are a top team for starters (anyone that saw them against Inter will know they were incredibly unfortunate), beating Valencia 1-0 thanks to a goal 10 mins from time isn't 'effectively' beating a team.. Plus your logic on Spurs beating Italian teams therefore excluding them doesnt make any sense, and that of Shakthar who topped Arsenals group.

Anyway, guess we'll just have to see what happens.. Either way I think I'll stay away from the boards tonight, they'll be a host of bickering and I told you so posts.. Plus Plan B will be around shortly to tell everyone how Barca cheated there way to glory.

I personally think (and hope) Barca will win easily enough.. This English pride thing is nonsense, especially when Man Utd are littered with foreign players.

Again, I don't think that's fair. Of course, they're not like Barca in the amount of Spaniards they have, but the United team has more of a home influence than the next biggest European club. The Rooneys, Ferdinands, Owens, Giggs', Carricks, Browns, Smallings, Scholes'...the list goes on. Then you look at clubs like Inter who rarely name 2 Italians in their starting 11. And I remember two seasons ago, when Liverpool played Real and named more Spaniards in their starting 11!

As for the earlier post, I know that Scholes is a poor tackler, but he's still agressive. I too wouldn't dream of playing him but his experience is something the rest of the squad looks up to, and his influence is evident. The agression in Anderson's game has come on leaps and bounds, and when he's in poor form he atleast offers that. When Barca come up against channelled, measured agression, they struggle. Come out in any other fashion and they'll make you look like absolute fools.

That's why experience is important. If United come out and let the occasion get to them, then Barca will walk all over them, but I think there's too much experience in the United side to let that happen. Good old fashioned British aggression, mixed with the foreign flair that players like Nani and Hernandez offer, then your have yourselves some sort of contest, but it's still a tall order for United. But it's not beyond them, and it's certainly not David vs Goliath.

Barca are favourites, But I will support an English team in the National stadium against the most hyped about and 'bummed' team to ever walk across the face of the planet.

COME ON UNITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The owners are American, The manager is Scottish, The best players are from Mexico, Wales, Serbia and the fans are from Asia..

So what part of Manchester Utd is English?

Archived