Sav - Still Got It

Wilko

I'd like to see James Baileys appearance/points record for this season..

Savage has only ever looked good when playing alongside Bailey.. Weve only ever looked good and fairly solid when Bailey has played.

He missed the majority of January and February and the midfield duo of Savage/Green/Pearson/B.Daves/Addison etc. in the centre was just woeful and made Savage look absoloutley terrible.

Savage IMO is average now, and Bailey carried him during our purple patch and it's no coincidence that as soon as he's back playing regularly we're starting to pick up points again.

He's a class player, the best passer of the ball we have, and we missed him big time.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I'm more biased against Savage than I thought but do we really think he had that great a game? When Taraabt got the ball he had 2 or 3 guys around him. Taraabt isn't that great and that will be shown in the Prem next season any half decent player who is instructed to just sit on him and gets another player in support to marshall him when he has the ball would have had the same impact. The only good thing I remember Savage doing was in the corner in the first half, stood up well and stayed on his feet. Ayala had a greater impact at stopping their attacking play, I thought he stood up to everything that came his way, very impressed.

For me whatever Sav can do defensively was let down massively by the aimless high balls up the pitch, at times he literally swings his boot and the ball goes higher that it does forward. He misplaced passes that went either out or to the opposition, when there were easy passes on. Compare it to Bailey who looked up before he passed. I don't care if Savage passes sideways or backwards just that he find a teammate. Would prefer a backwards pass than a foot through the ball launch to nobody.

Just my opinion but if we want a passing team then we don't want Sav.

Sav has done OK for us but its time to move on if we want to progress.

He's had some really good games and some really poor games, just like most of the other players this season.

Bow out gracefully Sav and enjoy a long retirement - go and wind up Linekar, Shearer, Hanson, Collymoor etc instead.

Could Savage be used as a utility player, perhaps as cover in the left and right back positions? I believe he has also played in goal at some point? He doesn't need to be a first 11 player, but as someone experienced who could cover for injuries in a variety of positions, he could serve a purpose for another year, provided his salary was in line with everybody else's.

I agree that centre midfield is about partnerships and where I wouldn't say that Bailey carried him I think that they play well together.

I think that Bailey sits and anchors whilse Sav closes down(ish) or goes man for man.

I would try and pick up a player like Randall for our midfield and give Sav an extension (so long as his personal terms are reasonable).

Bailey or Randall with Addison or Sav with Green or Pearson. Looks solid especially if we can add a couple of utility players like Billy Jones. Then we can concentrate on bringing in players who win games i.e. Striker/Attacking midfielders.

Some will say he never had any in the first place, but he's showing a real lack of class recently.

He was childish when he shouted in Taarabt's face when he lost the ball, and kicked the ball against his back when he was down. He's now telling everyone he had Taarabt in his pocket (which he did) - but who actually does that? You wouldn't have seen Roy Keane going to a public platform telling everyone he had a player in his pocket. Twitter, Facebook etc are awash with jokes about his 'uncomfortable journey home because he forgot to take Taarabt out of his pocket'. You'd think he'd been marking Ronaldo. Certainly doesn't sound like a player who has had a below average season.

I also notice he's touting for a new contract on twitter. Henry Winter (who I respect as a journalist) said he's good enough to play at this level for another year (based on one game) and Savage replied that 'no one has offered me a contract'. Absolutely stinks of desperation.

I think he should go now, he's very expensive and for the handful of good games he's had, he's had alot of bad ones. He's hindering the progress of other players and to be honest, he seems to get more plaudits in punditry than he does as a player.

Watching the game again now, i dont see the hype. Taraabt had a bad game, Savage winding him up and harassing him definitely helped that but he's obviously had that all season and managed to deal with it. Last night, nothing worked or went his way and he got in a strop which just made him worse.

On the ball Savage was absolutely dire, his passing was terrible which just invited more pressure on himself to defend. Sky and himself hyping his performance up when really there were players who were far better. The back 4, Ward and Bailey deserve far more praise.

Some will say he never had any in the first place, but he's showing a real lack of class recently.

He was childish when he shouted in Taarabt's face when he lost the ball, and kicked the ball against his back when he was down. He's now telling everyone he had Taarabt in his pocket (which he did) - but who actually does that?

Trying to be a little more diplomatic; he shouted at Taarabt who, when he had lost the ball to Sav, threw himself over looking for a foul. He also made a joke about having Taarabt in his pocket but in the same sentance said that the lad was the best player in this division and deserved his PFA award.

Savage's latest tweet is "Celtic or Rangers - Could I???"

Decent game last night - I think he has had a very mixed season. Good sometimes, truly awful others.

He could go to either as far as I'm concerned. As long as he doesn't stay any longer, he can go anywhere he likes. He did well at times last night and at other times, he looked as though 606 would be much more comfortable!

Trying to be a little more diplomatic; he shouted at Taarabt who, when he had lost the ball to Sav, threw himself over looking for a foul. He also made a joke about having Taarabt in his pocket but in the same sentance said that the lad was the best player in this division and deserved his PFA award.

Ok, that's fair enough, but to be tweeting about it for a whole day is a little excessive, I'd hope you agree. The amount of times he's been run ragged, you'd think he'd pipe down if he put in a decent performance. In my opinion he was pretty quick to say Taarabt was the division's best player because that further boosts his credentials.

Just seems to lack the quality on a personal level that a 36 year old who has played for his country should have. I'd be saying that kind of thing playing Sunday League as a teenager if I'd marked a really good player out of the game. He's only doing his job, I'm not sure why he's so amazed with himself.

Ok, that's fair enough, but to be tweeting about it for a whole day is a little excessive, I'd hope you agree. The amount of times he's been run ragged, you'd think he'd pipe down if he put in a decent performance. In my opinion he was pretty quick to say Taarabt was the division's best player because that further boosts his credentials.

Just seems to lack the quality on a personal level that a 36 year old who has played for his country should have. I'd be saying that kind of thing playing Sunday League as a teenager if I'd marked a really good player out of the game. He's only doing his job, I'm not sure why he's so amazed with himself.

I don't think he is taking himself that seriously TBH. Perhaps he is getting a bit too old for the cheeky demeanour but I'm certain he wasn't seriously suggesting that either he is that good or Taarabt is in any way crap.

Maybe I'm more biased against Savage than I thought but do we really think he had that great a game? When Taraabt got the ball he had 2 or 3 guys around him. Taraabt isn't that great and that will be shown in the Prem next season any half decent player who is instructed to just sit on him and gets another player in support to marshall him when he has the ball would have had the same impact. The only good thing I remember Savage doing was in the corner in the first half, stood up well and stayed on his feet. Ayala had a greater impact at stopping their attacking play, I thought he stood up to everything that came his way, very impressed.

For me whatever Sav can do defensively was let down massively by the aimless high balls up the pitch, at times he literally swings his boot and the ball goes higher that it does forward. He misplaced passes that went either out or to the opposition, when there were easy passes on. Compare it to Bailey who looked up before he passed. I don't care if Savage passes sideways or backwards just that he find a teammate. Would prefer a backwards pass than a foot through the ball launch to nobody.

Just my opinion but if we want a passing team then we don't want Sav.

Well this saves me effort.......^----What he said!! lol

Agree with you whole heartedly there Wilko, He is woeful at passing at times and a lot of things he does seem quite rash. Bye bye Sav!! :D

If we were only playing one game a week, I would say give Sav another year. We play 2 games a week for a lot of the season, especially if we progress in the cups.

Sav can't play 2 games a week anymore, like the guy, but I think it is time to let him go or give him a coaching role possibly still registered as a player (Vastly reduced wages) which will see just how much he wants to stay!

Personally I think he should concentrate on his media career and be remembered for some of his good performances this season. If he plays on for another season he may be regret it!

Anyone know what these tweets by him are alluding to? (read from bottom to top like twitter)

RobbieSavage8

I'd love to tell you but it's confidential but I can't believe it myself x

49 minutes ago

RobbieSavage8

Savage goes to a new level !!!

1 hour ago

RobbieSavage8

When I say massive I mean off the scale !?

1 hour ago

RobbieSavage8

Got some massive news to come ??

1 hour ago

Anyone know what these tweets by him are alluding to? (read from bottom to top like twitter)

RobbieSavage8

I'd love to tell you but it's confidential but I can't believe it myself x

49 minutes ago

RobbieSavage8

Savage goes to a new level !!!

1 hour ago

RobbieSavage8

When I say massive I mean off the scale !?

1 hour ago

RobbieSavage8

Got some massive news to come ??

1 hour ago

mancini took him seriously in that interview and has actually signed him !

Archived