Man on crutches - Sheff Utd

Asanovic

Anyone sat/stood near the bloke on crutches on Saturday? Towards the right of the goal. Got unnecessarily wound up about people standing and him not being able to see anything (although he could see everything), and when I told him to calm down called me a knob, and said he'd pay any amount of money to give me the disability he had! He also missed the goal moaning.

If you're on this forum, I hope you enjoyed the game. If you'd have moved further to the right you would have had a better view, and might have had some more sympathy from the stewards if you'd come up for breath whilst having a go at them.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone sat/stood near the bloke on crutches on Saturday? Towards the right of the goal. Got unnecessarily wound up about people standing and him not being able to see anything (although he could see everything), and when I told him to calm down called me a knob, and said he'd pay any amount of money to give me the disability he had! He also missed the goal moaning.

If you're on this forum, I hope you enjoyed the game. If you'd have moved further to the right you would have had a better view, and might have had some more sympathy from the stewards if you'd come up for breath whilst having a go at them.

What was actually up with him?

He'd got a disabled ticket but people to his left were stood up, so he was saying he couldn't see anything. I was sat a row behind and could see everything (was sat down in parts), so I'm not sure what he meant. He got really shirty with the stewards who tried to explain that it wouldn't be that easy to sit down 2,300 away fans, and he carried on shouting at no one inparticular about how disgraceful it was. Then some lads who had paid on the gate were told to stand next to him and he went ballistic at them, despite them telling him they were just following stewards instructions.

I was going to offer to help him up and move a few rows back (where there was loads of space and with a better view), but he then started having a go at me when I told him to calm down. He stood up, turned around and said 'are you going to hit me? Come on then'!!! Before coming out with the rubbish below.

This reinforced the idea of a sitting and standing section at games - why don't clubs do it?

If ever there was an example of why safe standing areas need to be introduced...

As for why clubs don't introduce them - it's because it's out of their hands. It's down to the Football League, The FA and the Government to make the changes to the laws currently imposed on clubs to allow them to introduce standing areas again.

Didn't see him but i nipped down to the front to see if there were any seats for our lil lad to sit on as everyone was standing up and he couldn't see owt. I wouldn't have said owt to anyone though, that's what happens at away matches. The guy in front was aware he couldn't see and did offer to change seats, it was kind of him and I said thanks but no thanks because the guy in front of him was stood up too and it wouldn't have made much difference.

In the end, lil un stood on his chair, which made all the difference.

Can kind of see where the guy with crutches is coming from though - if you have a disability and have to sit down, you would expect not to have your view impeded.

Didn't see him but i nipped down to the front to see if there were any seats for our lil lad to sit on as everyone was standing up and he couldn't see owt. I wouldn't have said owt to anyone though, that's what happens at away matches. The guy in front was aware he couldn't see and did offer to change seats, it was kind of him and I said thanks but no thanks because the guy in front of him was stood up too and it wouldn't have made much difference.

In the end, lil un stood on his chair, which made all the difference.

Can kind of see where the guy with crutches is coming from though - if you have a disability and have to sit down, you would expect not to have your view impeded.

The point he made (partly) was right, although if he moved a little further to the right he could have seen everything. I try and be considerate where possible and sit down. I actually think SUFC are to blame for classing it as a disabled ticket, the guy was at no better a vantage point than anyone else in the ground. It was just the crazy way he went for me!

It's such a shame that laws can't be changed to introduce standing at football. Half the people that sit are probably doing it out of consideration!

Will you cut the guy some slack.

He's had a rough time over the last few years. He's hardly been able to do the job he loves because of his dodgy legs. He gets bored and grumpy sometimes. But at least its good to know that Russell Anderson still makes the effort to watch his team mates.

Will you cut the guy some slack.

He's had a rough time over the last few years. He's hardly been able to do the job he loves because of his dodgy legs. He gets bored and grumpy sometimes. But at least its good to know that Russell Anderson still makes the effort to watch his team mates.

bum bum

Erm....were you sure he was actually in the right part? there was only 14 disabled ticket spaces and i saw no one in crutches in them? just lots of us wheelchair folk :)

meh....i saw plenty of places he could of sat and everyone will stand at an away match, so tough

ps.anyone see me! :p i was the 17 year old wearing a duffelcoat in a wheelchair next a really massive older guy in a wheelchair :D

Erm....were you sure he was actually in the right part? there was only 14 disabled ticket spaces and i saw no one in crutches in them? just lots of us wheelchair folk :)

meh....i saw plenty of places he could of sat and everyone will stand at an away match, so tough

ps.anyone see me! :p i was the 17 year old wearing a duffelcoat in a wheelchair next a really massive older guy in a wheelchair :D

I know from family experience that ambulant disabled (that's those who can walk even aided with crutches) often get seats mixed in with the general allocation. This is because they get a cared ticket too, and if they put them in a wheelchair spot thry only get one seat between them(as in a wheelchair spot only the cater needs a seat)

My old man who is disabled with a bad heart got disabled at Coventry, they put him right up at the back of the stand. At old Traffird they were put in with the United disabled fans, but they did have a LCD telly to watch the match on.

At Pride Park, unless you are in a wheelchair you can't have a disabled space. I know this from family experience with my daughter when we were told there was absolutely nothing they could do regardless of her being a season ticket holder. She had just come out of hospital from a 5 day stint following a leg rotation operation but wasn't in a wheelchair but was on crutches. In the end a certain American chap intervened after I got a little miffed with the club and threatened to cancel all 6 of our families season tickets - tensions were a little high following her op. We ended up in corporate, well 4 of us, as a bit of an apology. [sorry for the poor English, too many glasses of Chianti this evening]

There was a chap in front of me on crutches but he was to the left of the goal Q124 area. He just moved to the front in the end, no problem with the stewards at all as far as I was aware.

We'll have to look out for you mate.:)

:D

i'll be there on tuesday night for sure

even though i'm not even meaant to be out of my bed :/ i just love derby too much! tbh the fact derby gets so much support is kinda hindering atm :p

i think i'm in the northern disabled area(where all those good singers are!, you should come down and join me :D) so look for me there :p

At Pride Park, unless you are in a wheelchair you can't have a disabled space. I know this from family experience with my daughter when we were told there was absolutely nothing they could do regardless of her being a season ticket holder. She had just come out of hospital from a 5 day stint following a leg rotation operation but wasn't in a wheelchair but was on crutches. In the end a certain American chap intervened after I got a little miffed with the club and threatened to cancel all 6 of our families season tickets - tensions were a little high following her op. We ended up in corporate, well 4 of us, as a bit of an apology. [sorry for the poor English, too many glasses of Chianti this evening]

There was a chap in front of me on crutches but he was to the left of the goal Q124 area. He just moved to the front in the end, no problem with the stewards at all as far as I was aware.

The entire front row of the East Stand is for disabled Rams fans and their carers.

The entire front row of the East Stand is for disabled Rams fans and their carers.

Not according to the club, they are all unavailable plus the point is that you MUST be in a wheelchair to have a space allocated at Pride Park, if you are on crutches that's just tough. Like I say, this is from personal experience of how my daughter was treated by DCFC despite being a Young Ram.

Not according to the club, they are all unavailable plus the point is that you MUST be in a wheelchair to have a space allocated at Pride Park, if you are on crutches that's just tough. Like I say, this is from personal experience of how my daughter was treated by DCFC despite being a Young Ram.

My brother got a seat in the NW corner, which is set aside for fans with mobility problems, disabilities, after a knee op when he was on crutches. They have more leg room and stair lifts there as well. Not the same as a wheelchair spot but better than nothing. It might have helped having my old man as an ambulant disabled season ticket holder in that corner.

They are there, because I sit there as a carer. They are probably just sold out then. There looks like there gaps on the North Stand front row.

There is a difference between being sold out and not being allowed, but hey ho, let's slag the club off.

Archived