Vancouver Whitecaps after 5 players

tde

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can't see why any if our players would be a draw to fans in the MLS. We have no big names at the moment. It would possibly be the cheap option for Mallet, either that or an easy way dropping the dead wood from the squad, those players that Clough doesn't want any more.

Loans out over the summer could be a good way for those players who have been injured to get some proper match fitness up ready for next season, only really Anderson, Buxton and Porter at the moment.

I can understan him wanting Doyle for the home player touch with crowd.

can't see why any if our players would be a draw to fans in the MLS. We have no big names at the moment. It would possibly be the cheap option for Mallet, either that or an easy way dropping the dead wood from the squad, those players that Clough doesn't want any more.

Loans out over the summer could be a good way for those players who have been injured to get some proper match fitness up ready for next season, only really Anderson, Buxton and Porter at the moment.

I can understan him wanting Doyle for the home player touch with crowd.

But Doyle is American (or Irish..) and not Canadian which is where Vancouver is, so can't see a bunch of Canucks getting excited over Connor Doyle!

When I was working in Canada I had a friend who was friends with one of the coaching staff at Vancouver Whitecaps..

They were so bad and short on players he told me that he was asked to find any potential players who could possibly play for them (he was a player himself).. Me and another friend was going to go and have trials with them..

However we found out they were only interested in offering contracts around $400-$500 a week, which was less than what we was earning so we thought better of it.

Now they're in a totally different boat, going to play in the MLS, new stadium and looking at DCFC players.. (Their old stadium was your equivalent of Brightons athletic stadium - Whitdean)

Just a pity Jeff Mallett couldn't have made drastic changes like this to DCFC.

get Doyle over there on loan, and see how he develops. Could be a winner for both teams

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it works like that in the MLS.

They have this complicated draft system whereby the bottom teams get the first pick from a pool of new players allowed in to the league.

Well looking at the Vancouver squad, Jay DeMerit is by far their best player and biggest name. I doubt they are wanting big names to join (maybe one, but not from Derby) - in my opinion they just want players who would do well for a new team who aren't 'rejects' as such but players with experience in a good league.

Has anyone thought its the reason Mallett is on our board, because he was going to be a co-owner with Vancouver that he wanted to see how you run a football club?

Same could be said about Doyle, maybe he is over here to gain experience before joining a Vancouver side that is being built up for its debut season.

Fvck you yankie boy! Cheeky ****.

The quote not you by the way.

Vancouver is in Canada (remember the Olympics this time last year?!) so likely not a Yankie (sp) boy!

And wherever he is from he may be supporting a team who have more chance of being top 25 in the world than our shower of ****!

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies for bumping this sad thread. I was looking for transfer rumours and came across a quote from myself which some people have taken issue with. I just wanted to say that any cheek was aimed at Mallett and not DCFC, and certainly not at the supporters. Though I do see that the phrasing was not ideal. :)

I'm well aware of the club's proud history and the club does have a place in Canada's heart -not for Mallett, Wilson, et al, but for Paul Peschisolido's promotion run and Colin Miller's ill-fated few months on the coaching staff under Davies.

To give you some perspective, everyone here is drinking a full glass of the current board's kool aid. It's hard not to in some respects. The outgoing chairman, Greg Kerfoot, has sunk millions of his own cash into building a proper academy here -a first in Canada. He also raised the standard on the pitch -from 500 a week wages mentioned above- to something resembling professional football. Then you add Steve Nash to the mix, whose brother Martin was our long-time captain and recently retired to join the coaching staff. Who doesn't like Steve Nash? (Don't answer that. :))

But this Mallet character, who appears to have replaced Kerfoot as chairman, is starting to worry me. I don't understand how he can be on both boards and then publicly discuss signing your players while your fighting relegation?

Sure, it would be great to have a partnership. But formalize it then, so everyone knows what's going on. We have recently sent young players to England and Germany and none to Derby. Ethan Gage signed with Reading, Marcus Haber signed with WBA, Adam Straith with Cottbus in Germany. All good young players who could help you and are cheap.

In the meantime, our club has exploited the supporters by cranking up the ticket prices behind the south goal and making better seats available for less to "soccer moms." We've been told that the atmosphere we create demands a premium. WTF? And we've been told that the high ticket prices are required to attract marquee players. Fair enough, but you can understand our frustration when Robbie Savage and marquee players are mentioned in the same sentence.

In any event, please accept my apologies again for anyone who was offended by my comment. We wish you well here in Vancouver and hope you can regain past glory in the near future. But watch that Mallett, his seems like the cheeky **** here. :)

Then you add Steve Nash to the mix, whose brother Martin was our long-time captain and recently retired to join the coaching staff. Who doesn't like Steve Nash? (Don't answer that. :))

Doubt many will know who he is, but to tell you the truth, I'm not the biggest fan.

Archived