How representative is the RD Phone In?

PeteDerby

Listening to the Radio Derby Phone In tonight, I'm only an occasional listener on a Monday, so wondered how representative the callers are of the fan base?

I didn't count the number of calls, but taking a rough estimation it sounded like about 20% of callers seemed pretty pragmatic and commented on how current team performance was a symptom of under-investment and general circumstances Clough came into.

The rest, however, just wanted to nit-pick over this Cywka issue, or generally slag the manager off.

There's plenty of threads on these issues, so I've posted this thread to take fans' views on whether the callers are representative of the majority view, or is it generally people of a certain persuasion who phone in?

If someone more IT savvy than me (who is interested :)) wants to do a poll on 'Do the majority of callers in the moan in represent my view' then that might work?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I refuse to listen to the idiots who ring up, and I mean that sincerely. Like you said Pete, it's around 20% of intelligent speakers who tend to know their stuff.

The rest make my brain hurt, and would only p1ss me off, so I switch off unless it's on in the car.

I listened to it.There was one absolute idiot who rang in talking crap about Derby and newcastle. Radio Derby have to be careful not to upset the club or they lose their franchise.I dont listen to the football coverage much as its a bit soppy.They need a tough talker.At least sturridge has gone .He was awful.

The only time i listen to the phone ins is after a game. Can't stand the callers that just want to have a go, only know the subject of their frustrations but have no idea how to articulate it.

I wouldn't mind so much if it was well thought out criticisms, but they aren't, it's just a spew of anger.

I think DCFCfans members should start calling in to be honest, a few intellectuals knocking about. Put yourselves forward....i would but i'm out of credit.

No different to this board , you get some idiots who clearly have never even kicked a football. There is an argument on the Cwyka issue, however for me there are far more important issues at present. I am all for letting the Americans know how we/I feel but it has to stay civil, people throwing stuff at main entrance is not good.

I have the misfortune to hear Radio Sheffield sometimes at work, you should hear their ' praise or grumble ' phone-in, makes our fans sound like Einstein and positively cheerful. I'm sure all phone-ins are the same when things are not going well.

Beat me to it.

Some of the people on there are totally delirious.

praise or grumble

it should be called grumble or grumble..my boss has it on when he gives me a lift home from work and they REALLY make us lot look like amature moaners!

flippin eck they all sound like they bin trapped darn pit for 30 year and theyve been guin to lane since theywer a lad and chuff me can they moan...

all the wrist slasher on ere really ought to av a listen cos it could be something they aspire to:D

Are they really moaning, or just disappointed with the current situation?

I think it takes a lot of guts to phone in to RD and they are all DCFC fans that are passionate about DCFC. Some come over better than others, but overall, they were saying what I thought, and that is Clough was out of order in his Radio attack on Cwkwa.

I for one, agree with the majority of what they said tonight, although the guy who now runs the show is awful, and as for Roger Davies - oh dear - talk about sitting on the fence!

OK, so in answer to my question, it seems to be 'not very'.

That's good - because I think 80% of the callers come over as sad tw*ts with nothing better to do than to make a call to Radio Derby the highlight of their week, and talk about as much common sense as a donkey's dick once they get on there!

Up the Rams.

OK, so in answer to my question, it seems to be 'not very'.

That's good - because I think 80% of the callers come over as sad tw*ts with nothing better to do than to make a call to Radio Derby the highlight of their week, and talk about as much common sense as a donkey's dick once they get on there!

Up the Rams.

Most of them sound like my grandad, rambling on about "goads" and that you used to be able to "shoder charge goadie inter back t'goad and it'd bin a goad"...and so on. I think RD like them, as it takes half-an-hour for them to get through a simple sentence and kills time.

Remember - dead air is a crime.

Remember they have someone screening the callers before they get on air. If the caller sounds a bit thick and opinionated then it’s Radio gold.

Hence the reason that they rarely have any sensible well-balanced callers – that’s no fun to listen to and the hosts have nothing to work with

On top of that – sensible well-balanced fans are less likely to call in, especially when, if they do, they never get put through

are by far the worst bradcasters on this planet imo.

Gibbo and bloomers make every min you/i listen painfull.

mistake after mistake.

i settled for having the laptop " bedroom " commentary.

the old blood pressure remained stable too......:p

I think I upset Bloomers once on the old forum, sorry, but I don't rate him.

Am I the only person who doesn't know what an "outball" is? I get the gist of it, but I never heard of it applied to footy! Don't we normally refer to that as an 'outlet'?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but normally the person who "telegraphs" a ball is the one giving it away, not the one intercepting it?

Then again I didn't rate Ross Fletcher or the other dude that sometimes does the commentary. I am very much in the Graham Richards fan club, despite his flaws.

I prefer Roger Davies to some of the other pundits though.

No different to this board , you get some idiots who clearly have never even kicked a football. There is an argument on the Cwyka issue, however for me there are far more important issues at present. I am all for letting the Americans know how we/I feel but it has to stay civil, people throwing stuff at main entrance is not good.

never known that to happen at pride park!!

I think it takes a lot of guts to phone in to RD and they are all DCFC fans that are passionate about DCFC.

Good point. It's much easier to carefully construct arguments on an anonymous internet forum than to quickly think up responses on the phone when you opinions are questioned live on the radio.

There's usually more intelligent debate on forums though, but that is probably a volume thing. As a percentage, there's still stacks of rubbish posted. And there's much less accountability.

Archived