When is a footballer past it? A debate

Toadbelly

I see a lot of comments on here about players being too old and not worth signing. Davies is a perfect example at 29. Personally, I think this is a load of craap and that a 29 year old has plenty to offer still. Some examples of old gits playing in a league at least as good as the Championship;

Berbatov: 29

Drogba: 32

Elmander: 29

Davies, K: 33

Malouda: 30

Cahill: 31

Vidic: 29

I suspect all of these guys have more than a couple of seasons left in them. Personally I believe there is no reason a footballer cannot continue to play at the highest level into his late thirties if he stays fit and a 29 year old player is, potentially, at his peak.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Far more succinct...but then you are a journo, right? :-)

Attempting it :)

To me a player is fine even at an age like Savages, as long as they're given breaks every so often and they can keep up with play.

Take Ryan Giggs for example, he never lost his pace, or atleast barely any pace and can still show up defenders week in, week out. His age is regardless really. Yet some people still judge players on it, confuses me.

Surely it depends on position..

A striker that relies on pace is past it when he no longer has pace. The same can be applied for a winger.

A big man type striker/defender loses it when they no longer offer a physical threat..

A dynamic CM (a box to box) type player e.g. Wilson Polacios loses it when they no longer have the fitness nor speed to move accross the ground and break up the play..

The 2 positions that stay the longest for me is GK or a DM/CM in the mould of Niel Lennon or Paul Scholes.. Someone that relies solely on movememnt or recieveing the ball and the ability to pick out simple yet class passes..

Zidane had ball ability those could only dream of, and a footballing brain second to none.. He could still be playing now in a Paul Scholes type role if he wanted and still be world class..

The older I get the longer I think footballers' careers can last :) At 22 I figured 30 was old. At 35 I was in the best physical conditon of my life...However, at 41 I am now definitely past it :frown: I think all footballers are past it at 40 other than the odd goalie and freaks like Teddy Sherringham.

As others have alluded to, smart players can also survive for a long time in the game by just playing smartly.

Kevin Philips being a prime example. He finds space, even if he hasn't got the legs to be sprinting around he can work himself a chance then take it.

Don't know their ages,but Speed,Cowans and another midfielder who ended up playing for us-Charlton/West Ham/Newcastle?

The one that immediately springs to my mind is Stan Matthews.As a young teenager,I remember watching BBC news with my brother where they showed a clip of him in his comeback game for Stoke (swear he was about 50).This grandad figure got the ball at his feet on the right wing,played cat and mouse with the full back,then took off and got a cross in.The commentator said he'd still got the magic.Bro and me looked at each other and said "is that it?" (expecting a mazy dribble-we didn't know,of course).

Saw a documentary recently where Stan said he wasn't particularly quick over shortish distances,but all he wanted was a yard to put in a cross,so he practiced short sprints for hours on the beach (in his own time).The modern player can still learn a lot from the old uns,including dedication.But ,of course,those were the days that you had to be good to eke out a (comparitive) decent living from the game.

Would that midfielder be rob lee, ramblur?

That's the fella,rynny.Pity we didn't get him from Charlton when we initially showed interest.

Its not about age really. Its more to do with positions and natural ability.

Michael Owen's career has faltered fairly early because he relied on a burst of speed. He lost that to injuries.

Dave Mackay and Paul McGrath are two examples of players who suffered worse injuries than Owen but did'nt rely on speed in the first place so carried on at the top level well into their 30's.

I played in my 40's due to a combination of supreme natural ability, hardness, poetry, and being extremely handsome and irrisistible to women (and modest).

:D

Its not about age really. Its more to do with positions and natural ability.

Michael Owen's career has faltered fairly early because he relied on a burst of speed. He lost that to injuries.

Dave Mackay and Paul McGrath are two examples of players who suffered worse injuries than Owen but did'nt rely on speed in the first place so carried on at the top level well into their 30's.

I played in my 40's due to a combination of supreme natural ability, hardness, poetry, and being extremely handsome and irrisistible to women (and modest).:D

Are you still talking about football here fella? Or some other sport you'd like to remain nameless.

Probably been mentioned, but I think it depends on the type of player.

For instance, the original Ronaldo relied a lot on pace and how nippy he was. Once his legs went, he just wasn't the same.

Kevin Davies at Bolton is 33 and isn't particularly quick at all, but relies a lot on strength and holding off the ball to succeed. And to good measure.

Two types of striker and their different strengths.

Yes it depends largely on position. Goalkeepers these days can go into their forties often because they don't have to run around so a high fitness level isn't required.

But then again, Giggs and Beckham are midfielders and I can see them both playing into their forties.

Yes it depends largely on position. Goalkeepers these days can go into their forties often because they don't have to run around so a high fitness level isn't required.

But then again, Giggs and Beckham are midfielders and I can see them both playing into their forties.

If a player relies on pace then their career is going to dip a lot sooner, unless they can adapt accordingly.

Great awareness and reading of the game can compensate for a lack of mobility and speed.

Then again, I've always wondered why players of games such as snooker and darts get **** when they get old - considering neither are physically demanding...:confused:

Archived