When is a footballer past it? A debate

Toadbelly

If a player relies on pace then their career is going to dip a lot sooner, unless they can adapt accordingly.

Great awareness and reading of the game can compensate for a lack of mobility and speed.

Then again, I've always wondered why players of games such as snooker and darts get **** when they get old - considering neither are physically demanding...:confused:

Probably due to eyesight not being as sharp as it used to be,allied to a loss of hunger for the games.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Players tend to reach their peak at the age of 28 on average.

Signing any age player is fine by my, provided he is good enough, and we don't offer him a lengthy contract, or an extension like we did with Savage :mad:

Funnily enough I think there have been very few players we have signed at 29+ who have failed. Savage and Roberts perhaps?

Kevin Davies at Bolton is 33 and isn't particularly quick at all, but relies a lot on strength and holding off the ball to succeed.

That, and his ability to make disturbingly poor tackles on opposition players often causing significant pain and injury and get away with it. Ask Jay Mac, I'm sure he remembers Davies kicking him out of the game v Bolton during "that" season, he was then out injured for a couple of months or more iirc and wasn't the same player when he did come back.

As for players being "past it", it rather depends on how you define "it", doesn't it? If the manager defines "it" as the role that the manager wants the player to fulfil, but the fans define "it" as the role that has been fulfilled by that player in the past but no longer seems able to, then there's likely to be a difference of opinion. When we signed Mackay people scoffed, because he could no longer play in the position he'd spent his career in to the standard he'd previously displayed. But Brian didn't want him to play that position, and Brian's (and Peter's) judgement was proved to be correct. I think they did the same with Kenny Burns when they took him to Forest and converted him from a forward to a centre-half. But it's as much a question of a given player having the aptitude and attitude to adjust, as it is the manager having the vision to perceive a change of role for the player.

As far as signing Davies at 29, I don't see much of a problem. The "undisclosed fee" isn't thought to exceed £500k, and coming from Notts to us I dare say his wages aren't excessive. If we get 3 good years out of him, and we finally have someone who can put a cross into the box and get it past the first defender, then I'd say it was good business.

Players tend to reach their peak at the age of 28 on average.

Signing any age player is fine by my, provided he is good enough, and we don't offer him a lengthy contract, or an extension like we did with Savage :mad:

Funnily enough I think there have been very few players we have signed at 29+ who have failed. Savage and Roberts perhaps?

Savage definately hasn't failed. And Roberts hasn't been here long, give it time.

Archived