Paul Connolly

Day

Remember him? I was thinking about him earlier, nothing sexual or anything like that. The reason I was thinking about him was I were looking at the league table and saw Leeds sat in 2nd place, I wondered if Connolly was regular part of the team and indeed he is.

So off I trot to a Leeds forum and do a search for him, I see comments like....

"Solid as ever"

"just want to give a mention who i think is very underated, admittedly he isnt the greatest defender but i think he is very solid an dependable"

"i think he is great for a free transfer and finally we may have a right back we can rely on!"

"Yes he is doing well, as larry said he is one of those guys that is a 7 out 10 player most of the games"

"Looked a bit suspect at first but he's turning out to be a good, solid part of our set up."

Sounds like the Paul Connolly we were led to believe we had signed, makes you wonder doesn't it.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He didn't think he was worth the money he was on, and needed him off the payroll to be able to release money to get other players.

It is an unfortunate position, but it is business. I don't hate Varney, or wish him any harm. But I hope the money we may get for him goes towards the team, or it will have been a waste of time.

Aywot?

Well, I'm sure he'd have liked to play, but deep down he'd have been happy. He won't get the same wages at his next club. Prem or not.

believe it or not sometimes money isn't the most important commodity in a persons life. You can't say someone is happy purely because they ahve high wages because that would be naive

believe it or not sometimes money isn't the most important commodity in a persons life. You can't say someone is happy purely because they ahve high wages because that would be naive

I think money is a big motivating factor in today's footballer, sad to say.

Anyway, Varney said in the Sun that he accepted he had no future here due to "an expensive clause" in his contract that would be triggered if he played again. We couldn't afford him - nothing to do with whether he was good enough or happy to stay or not. It was financial.

"Derby couldn't afford to play me in the first team because it would have activated an expensive clause in my contract and I accepted that.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3271392/Luke-Varney-is-dreaming-of-a-special-wedding-invitation-after-receiving-Prince-Williams-royal-seal-of-approval.html

I think money is a big motivating factor in today's footballer, sad to say.

Anyway, Varney said in the Sun that he accepted he had no future here due to "an expensive clause" in his contract that would be triggered if he played again. We couldn't afford him - nothing to do with whether he was good enough or happy to stay or not. It was financial.

"Derby couldn't afford to play me in the first team because it would have activated an expensive clause in my contract and I accepted that.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3271392/Luke-Varney-is-dreaming-of-a-special-wedding-invitation-after-receiving-Prince-Williams-royal-seal-of-approval.html

and there was me thinking he was just toss! however glad we didn't play him again, if we forked out any more money on that gashbag, I would of been pissed off.

I think it was a mix of both, if he was a good player, we would of played him, however since he was *****.. i'm not surprised we didn't play him again, because he would of cost us loads.

Archived