Big Sam sacked by Blackburn

derbydan

Blackburn Rovers have announced the departure of their manager, Sam Allardyce, and his assistant, Neil McDonald, "as part of our wider plans and ambitions for the club".

The move came after their 2-1 defeat to one of Allardyce's former clubs, Bolton, yesterday, and with the club 13th in the Premier League.

A club statement read: "The Venky's Group, owners of Blackburn Rovers Football Club, has today confirmed the departure of manager Sam Allardyce and assistant manager Neil McDonald with immediate effect.

"First-team coaching duties will be taken on by Steve Kean (currently first-team coach) for the immediate future.

"We have taken this decision as part of our wider plans and ambitions for the club. We would like to put on record our thanks to Mr. Allardyce for his contribution to Blackburn Rovers Football Club."

After a flurry of sizeable bets on Allardyce to be the next top-flight manager to vacate his post one bookmaker slashed their odds from 33/1 to 3/1 today. William Hill also revealed that many of the gamblers betting on Allardyce were also placing money on Avram Grant to leave West Ham, leading them to conclude that Allardyce may be headed for Upton Park.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hes built a steady side there and they boot him for nothing?

Yes, a 7-0 loss but that was a one off, they are doing as expected. Stupid decision, unless they're going to go for a 'big' manager.

Martin Jol possibly?

If the new owners are thinking of taking the club forward they need to have a good manager, fat Sam is not a good manager.

Chris Houghton will get it.

Why sack Allardyce and appoint Houghton though? He's a decent manager, but if you're wanting more experience than Big Sam it's not Chris that you want.

Fat Sam is a decent manager, it is folly to say otherwise.

Personally I wouldnt appoint Houghton, but I wouldn't have appointed fat sam either. He is a very very average manager who plays boring football.

I think the new owners may want a "big name" and Sam is just a "big bloke"

Personally I wouldnt appoint Houghton, but I wouldn't have appointed fat sam either. He is a very very average manager who plays boring football.

I think the new owners may want a "big name" and Sam is just a "big bloke"

He was perfect for Blackburn, smaller club who don't spend that much, he's a stability manager. And a good one, too. Granted, he does play incredibly boring football.

I'm intrigued as to who they'll appoint.

I dont know whoi they think they will get who is better!!! I mean they are 12th in the league with a good squad! what more do Blackburn realistically want?

i would have thought they want a decent manager rather than a fat moaner, playing big ball all time...I think the fact that he played 5 centre halves against BOLTON might not have halped his cause...

i would have thought they want a decent manager rather than a fat moaner, playing big ball all time...I think the fact that he played 5 centre halves against BOLTON might not have halped his cause...

Bolton are sixth in the league, playing some amazing football, and they've played better teams on paper off the park several times this season.

Blackburn have had an injury crisis, they're only just getting a few players back now. I wasn't suprised he went with 5 at the back, so would I. And it nearly worked.

I wonder if they will go for Martin Jol?

I think so, he wants to return to the Premier League and Blackburn have some decent funding behind them now.

Would like to see him back in England, he's a good bloke to listen to after a game, he really knows what he's talking about.

Archived