Does 4-2-3-1 work when one of the 3 is out?

Donny Ram

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This might just be me but I really am begining to think the 3 attacking midfielders system works when Commons, Bueno and Cwyka are involved. We just don't seem to have the same impact when one of these 3 is missing.

Thoughts?

not true, we had good form when Bueno was out early and the poor result on saturday was down to a poor performance from our defence and a lack of finishing

I think green is more than good enough to fill the role, and with Davies coming back Sonny, maybe, hopefully, he can fill this role to. If Pearson is considered good enough for this role by cloughie then we have 6 players fighting for 3 places that all are good enough to fill, question marks I guess over Pearson.

We beat with Leeds with the same formation before we'd signed Bueno.

So I don't see why we shouldn't be able to do the same against other teams without him, Norwich had a lot of luck yesterday, especially with the Shaun Barker OG and they're VERY high on confidence right now.

These result's are going to occur frequently over the course of this season, we still only have a young team remember, when they're more experienced the consistencey in the performances and results will come.

Just be patient. :)

Davies is a very good lone front man, he loves a ball up to him in the air.

Peterborough away last year was a good example.

And Clough's on record somewhere saying he's for that lone striker role rather than in the three behind. Just don't ask me where, something I've fished out the back of my mind.

And Clough's on record somewhere saying he's for that lone striker role rather than in the three behind. Just don't ask me where, something I've fished out the back of my mind.

I've read that too.

He played in the lone striker role at the start of last season, he looked very capable there.

think 4-2-3-1 works fine with cywka,commons, bueno and green. Any combo of those three is enough.

the only time i'd wonder about the system is away from home. Is it a bit loose when we're away? Does it leave fullbacks exposed and Savage and Bailey with too much to do when it's the opposition who'll be making all the play?

think we're a bit naive away. But i'm a big fan of the system. 4-4-2 is becoming rapidly outdated. Like playing a sweeper. There are so many attackers who's position is to play just behind the strikers to not play with an established DM. Wingers used to be match winners. Now its down to these central playmakers. 4-4-2 is out of date imo.

Away i'd like to see a 4-3-2-1 tried.

This might just be me but I really am begining to think the 3 attacking midfielders system works when Commons, Bueno and Cwyka are involved. We just don't seem to have the same impact when one of these 3 is missing.

Thoughts?

Some of our best performance have come with Green in those attacking three. He offers something the others don't - movement and aerial presence.

Green was involved in everything yesterday while Cywka was very quiet.

Green could have had 2 goals and 2 assists.

I agree that without those four together available for selection, the 4-2-3-1 formation looks week, but you can't forget Green.

Think Green is very underrated by Derby fans. He's class. Good passer most the time, hard worker, never ducks a challenge, good positional sense..... he's just a reliable player in defence or attack. His experience is great too for us.

On their day though, Commons, Bueno and Cywka are the most threatening midfield outside the Premiership imo

Agree Green is an asset. Although his performance was good on Saturday i'm slightly concerened about his finishing, he was either very unlucky or came up against a good keeper, but he should have had at least one.

I guess the post incident had luck against him, and the curling effort only came about due to his good play and was maybe just a tad unlucky, but the one on one I would expect any attacking player to score. I hope he was just unlucky all round.

Hopefully he can bag a goal against Bristol City and shut me up.

Commons, Bueno, Cywka then Green.

Not Pringle. Not Pearson. Not Doyle...who knows what Martin is like?

Holding players....Bailey and Green or Sav

then Pringle and Pearson.

Full backs......Roberts and Brayford.

joke:ofcourseitsnotrobertsithastobemoxey

centre backs....not alot of option....Barker and Dreamer

striker....even fewer options.....preferrably someone from Kosovo

three signings please....CB, CM, CF, pus Bueno and Commons

likely to get........ FA

Agree Green is an asset. Although his performance was good on Saturday i'm slightly concerened about his finishing, he was either very unlucky or came up against a good keeper, but he should have had at least one.

I guess the post incident had luck against him, and the curling effort only came about due to his good play and was maybe just a tad unlucky, but the one on one I would expect any attacking player to score. I hope he was just unlucky all round.

Agree 100%.

But if he was a genuine goal threat i think he'd be playing in the PL. He's the perfect box to box player. But when he gets inside the boxes......

If only he could score goals.

Still quality between the two goal areas though. Far more creative than people give him credit for. Probably because he hasn't got the flair of Commons and co.

Well Green's finishing leaves a lot to be desired.

But if you take Green out of the team, there's no one there to miss those glorious opportunites. Which would you rather have, a team that misses golden chances or a team which creates none at all? The former is much more likely to score, of course.

i like green but his finishing at times leaves alot to be desired, often think its pearson when hes in the box, as he just craps his pants. he shoud be a 10goal a season midfielder, but in reality he gets 2 if hes ucky. thats his only fault

He has zero confidence in front of goal.

On many occasions, he'll be in a prime shooting position on the edge of the box but will decide to play someone out wide and stall play.

I think at the minute, this is Green's downfall.

Obviously a great player, but could be so much better.

Archived