Objective Measure of Managerial Success

CBX1985

If we survive convincingly (and by that I mean if we are a decent distance from the drop zone come the end of the season) I’d happily see him given a new contract, such would be the level of success.

If it’s by the skin of our teeth there may be a conversation to be had, but that will probably come down more to how we played I suspect. 

If we go down, he goes. 

22 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Be interesting to know what objectives DC set for this year.

Knowing his background they will probably be S M A R T.

Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time bounded.

There will several in each category and each of his top team will have interlocking objectives. My impression so far is that everybody knows their job and is doing it. Pilots do not like uncertainty they like order and process. I think thats what we are getting!

I hated this acronym in secondary school and heaven knows I hate it still.

But otherwise, bang on.

I think ultimately, the concrete objectives will be also be judged on a 90/50/10 prediction - 90%, survival, 50% midtable, 10% go on to do better.

57 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Looks like another set of questions with a subversive negative slant...where's the option of awarding a new contract for the coaching team should the team be exceeding expectations?

Only fair to balance this out with positive outcomes as well and how do we reward those?

Just re-read your post.  To make it clear, I quite like Warne and there is absolutely no negative slant from me (in fact, I thought you meant the other way around).  I think sacking him in the season is madness, unless there is a compelling reason for doing (and he has not in his two years reached that for me). 

Those are fair questions you posit, but they work less well as objectives (for the same reason my who would replace him question doesn't work as well as the others).  Feel free to add those into an answer (what success looks like).  Objectives are almost always this way around, as my view would be a new contract would plainly be offered if he outperforms. 

3 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

It would be 1.2 PPG across the season to date rather than the period in question. With regard to consistent spells, I think if we are bottom 3 for more than a month or dip into it for a second occasion that would be grounds for getting a replacement.

Yes, its true the safety bar can dip as low as 46 points but I wouldn't ncessarily see 4th bottom as 'success' for exactly the reasons @trappatoni describes. 55 points invariably sees teams slightly above bottom 6 & ftom that yield, you could deduce that we've made a decent fist of our first season back i.e. a 10 point improvement in season 2 would see us threaten the top half, which is ultimately where we want to be in the midterm.

P.s. i share your concern about Academy progression but unlikely this would be a factor in Ckowes performance metrics this season because of the importance of staying up above all else & probable justification from management team that youngsters 'arent ready'. I feel next season would be the first season Clowes might be more forceful in expecting Academy minutes in the first team.

I think there's a middle ground between failure (bottom 3) and success (55+ points). It would probaly be fairer to say below/meeting/exceeding expectations.

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Looks like another set of questions with a subversive negative slant...where's the option of awarding a new contract for the coaching team should the team be exceeding expectations?

Only fair to balance this out with positive outcomes as well and how do we reward those?

Finishing outside of the bottom 6 would be a 2 year extension (giving him a 3 year contract). If we were to finish inside the bottom 6 but avoid relegation, then an extension would depend on the secondary job requirements (such as academy, style of play, etc...) - in essence, how likely are we to improve under the manager.

What does success look like?  i.e. survival? Top half? Promotion?  

• Primarily survival.
  • But it also has to come from the playing style. If we stay up by the skin of our teeth having sat back and defended for 90 minutes every game, I wouldn't say that's a successful season. Because, what's going to change for the next season?
  • Conversely, if we went down, but gave it a good go with enough progress in the style that we could use it to ride our way back up, then in the long run it's not too awful. But to be honest, I can't see how we'd go down if we maintain the progress in the playing style, so it's a moot point.

When is this to be judged? i.e. September, Christmas, end of season 

• End of the season.

What would failure look like? i.e. not winning league, mid table, relegation

• Relegation.
  • And as above.

When is this to be judged? As above.  

• End of the season.
  • Playing style by mid-November.

In case of failure, would you change manager?

• Yes - the game on Saturday showed we have the ability to play fast paced football through the middle of the park. If we can't sustain that level of performance with this gaffer, perhaps another one could. 

What would you expect the new manager to achieve that could not be done via the existing?  In what timescale?

• I'd equate it to what Stevie Mac initially did with Cloughie's team. It'd be a tweak in mentality and tactics to get the best out of the players. Not necessarily to turn us into the best team, just to optimise to our strengths.

Who would we wish to replace and at what cost?  What if he is unavailable?

• Hard to say at this distance. There'll be some changes in managers by then. Rather depends who's available. And as it is I wouldn't want to change anything.
Edited by Dex