Jury Service

24 minutes ago, swansea ram said:

Just tell them you're self employed.  I did, and they let me off.   (i am self employed, but they did no checks, they took my word for it.)

I assume you repair shoes for a living, cos that’s cobblers.

21 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

I assume you repair shoes for a living, cos that’s cobblers.

No it's not. i was asked twice within 6 months and said the same thing twice.  Not heard nothing since. If i can find the reply they sent i will post it up.

37 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

This.

The courts service has absolutely no semblance of the addage 'time is money'.

I have been told from a couple of different sources that there is a lot of cases, in light of several media campaigns and stories for historic abuse claims being brought to court with little chance of a guilty verdict due to length of time passed and the need for, beyond reasonable doubt to be established.

CPS are being urged to push them through to show that they aren’t being ignored.

15 minutes ago, swansea ram said:

No it's not. i was asked twice within 6 months and said the same thing twice.  Not heard nothing since. If i can find the reply they sent i will post it up.

I am not doubting you personally, but being self employed is definitely not an excuse for not doing jury duty. A simple google search will confirm this.

I was self employed for 30 years before I retired, the second time I was selected was a really difficult time for me to serve as I was in the middle of closing down my business.

I wrote a letter saying I had done it once and would be happy to do it again in the future but now is really not the time.

They wrote back excusing me saying I could be called in the future.

I was, five years later.

If you really don’t want to do it, tell them you are the the sole carer for someone, no idea if they do follow up checks though 😉

I'm self-employed and as luck would have it, I didn't have any site work scheduled for the two weeks I was there.

I was asked if I wanted to be on a case that would 'be five or six months long' and gladly declined. Turned-out to be the Rochdale Sex/Grooming Gang case.

Edited by Grumpy Git