Bristol Street Motors Trophy

I wonder if we might enter our U21’s into this next season?  Now we’re in the Championship it means we can give our youngsters a taste of competitive football against experienced teams and playing in bigger grounds.  It would help their development so that, hopefully, they can be nearer to the 1st team squad in 25/26.

Reading the Dajaune Brown thread I’m torn between keeping him and loaning out in the 2nd half of the season or a loan in the first half with a recall in January.  If we enter this it could give the best of both worlds.  He can be part of the 1st team squad when needed - especially as we’ll need 9 subs - and get competitive football against L1 and L2 teams - if that’s possible.  We can then take a view in January depending on his progress.

The U23 teams are selected by invitation as opposed to teams choosing to enter aren't they? 

I we have the opportunity to enter them I'd like to see it happen. We entered it in the 2016/17 season and featured the like of Jayden Bogle, Emil Riis and Luke Thomas. It also gave opportunities to first team players in need of game time. I think the likes of Weimann, Russell and Blackman also played in it that season.

Regarding Brown, I do think it would be best for his development if he gets loaned out to a L2 team or maybe even a L1 team like Mansfield. It's a huge step up in quality from what he's been playing at with Gateshead, where defending at times can be described as pathetic.

8 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

U21 sides are invited in order of how their first teams placed in the previous season. 16 are invited and our first team was ranked 25th (only Reading were lower). We won't get the chance to accept or reject any invite.

Ah, didn’t realise that.  Shame as it could have been a good opportunity.