Recruitment Team

JHB

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And as I said, didn't the manager say he sees going out on loan to play 'men's football' as the first step.

As do most managers in the Premier League - that's why the EFL is overrun with high-level loanees, and not all of them go back to their own clubs never to play for them again. I'd say it's pretty much essential for forwards and defenders, because even at a higher level they're going to face physical, aggressive players.

EDIT - I should have said that it's often the Academy Manager who recommends a player for a loan out if they feel it would benefit the player.

Edited by Crewton

2 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

No so. 

How many of these did we loan to lower league before popping them into the first team...

Hendrick, Hughes, Knight, Sibley, Bird, Cashin, Bogle, Lowe, Buchanan, Ebiouwe, Plange.

By my recollection just one.

At Championship level the ones who are good enough often go straight into the team at around 19. 

Usually it's the ones we don't think will make it that get loaned out.

5 minutes ago, Crewton said:

As do most managers in the Premier League - that's why the EFL is overrun with high-level loanees, and not all of them go back to their own clubs never to play for them again. I'd say it's pretty much essential for forwards and defenders, because even at a higher level they're going to face physical, aggressive players.

EDIT - I should have said that it's often the Academy Manager who recommends a player for a loan out if they feel it would benefit the player.

I suppose we weren't in the Prem. 😄 My answer related to this point made earlier in the thread. 

As for who makes the decision about picking a player for the first team that is down to the manager isn't it?

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I suppose we weren't in the Prem. 😄 My answer related to this point made earlier in the thread. 

As for who makes the decision about picking a player for the first team that is down to the manager isn't it?

Of course it is, but if he did it without discussing it with the Academy coaches who know their players stage of development (or should) better than the first team manager, he'd be negligent in his duty of care to young players.

In any case, Academy teams play quite often against 'men' in friendlies and competitions like the Derbyshire Senior Cup, so it's not a major stretch to think that some can cope with playing more games against such opponents, is it?

22 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Of course it is, but if he did it without discussing it with the Academy coaches who know their players stage of development (or should) better than the first team manager, he'd be negligent in his duty of care to young players.

In any case, Academy teams play quite often against 'men' in friendlies and competitions like the Derbyshire Senior Cup, so it's not a major stretch to think that some can cope with playing more games against such opponents, is it?

No it's not, but that's not what Warne said is it. You seem to be arguing with yourself. 😄

In fairness so far under the recruitment team we have been shopping for freebies or at least very cheaply acquired out of contract players. The real time to see what they can bring to the club on an actual spending  budget, albeit probably still quite tight, is in the next few months leading up to the start of the season.(in my opinion )

On 30/04/2024 at 11:09, JHB said:

Am I imagining it or did we sign a recruitment expert from Oxford and a youth development guy from Southampton. When are their skills/worth going to come to the fore?

Having been decimated 2 years ago, take a look at how the 18s and 21s have improved over the season. 21s started with something like 7 straight defeats. Picked up in recent months. We're starting to see what they can put together.

They will now be in possession of a list of names and positions from PW. Let's see what transpires.