NFL 2024 Season

Day

I’m more positive than not that it came down to such fine margins against the best team in the league away from home when we’ve had a lot of change. New D Co-ordinator, 3 new starters on O line and coach literally just died, several starters turned over etc. Could have been a lot worse. 

On 22/08/2024 at 15:20, Ambitious said:

You would think there would be more Rams fans on here - seemed like the obvious choice, no? 🤣

I've wondered that a lot too.

They were in LA when I started supporting them in 194, so I always had the option of going somewhere I'd like to go for games.

I've been to 19 (I think) Rams games and only one was in St Louis.

To me, the name trumped everything. I'm a Rams fan, end of story.

It was a bonus we have the coolest helmets, and we did have the coolest logo before they effed it up.

By the way, at 28-1, I really think we are a good bet for winning it all. Because 99 is retiring, a lot of people are writing us off, but I think we've had the best off-season I can remember. I love the FAs and the draft.

COYR!

On 22/08/2024 at 16:18, Srg said:

I was when Sam Bradford just got drafted and was meant to be the second coming. Wild he’s only 36 now. 

Wild the amount of money the dude has earned too!

He was an ok QB and had some horrendous injury luck, but he wasn't worth the 9-figures he eventually earned.

Same. 

Love this club, but I prefer pork over lamb.

I had a weird journey, found the sport mind numbingly boring. Then one Super Bowl I gave it a proper go, hammering srg with questions.

Wasn’t that bad. I need a team, asked for suggestions. Put me on to the Texans, sold me on the idea of Watson to Hopkins and JJ slamming people into next week.

Just never clicked for me. 

Falcons looked cool, still say it now, they have the best logo, stadium and uniforms, hands down by far the best.

The team though, utterly dire. 

Steelers looked fun though, AB was a wild one and it just clicked.

Not a fan of the logo, nor the stadium, the team ain’t that great at the minute either but I’ve stuck with it. Too far in to change now.

Love the name as well, Steelers. Not some let’s attach a generic animal to the city name.

Do like to give the Bills a cheeky wink, but it’s just flirting. Nothing to to do with the name Bill, I don’t even know any Bill’s personally.

1 hour ago, Day said:

Love the name as well, Steelers. Not some let’s attach a generic animal to the city name.

The names that actually have some meaning behind them are definitely better. Even if your named after a meat packaging factory.

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Wild the amount of money the dude has earned too!

He was an ok QB and had some horrendous injury luck, but he wasn't worth the 9-figures he eventually earned.

He was the last of the old rookie wage scale where first overalll got paid like a superstar right off the bat. 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

He was the last of the old rookie wage scale where first overalll got paid like a superstar right off the bat. 

I know, but inexplicably, the Eagles and Vikings paid him almost as much again. The guy had blockbuster deals with 3 teams without ever performing at the highest level!

And speaking of wild. Bradford was picked the year after Stafford.

Seems a life time ago.

3 hours ago, Day said:

The owner of the Cleveland Rams supposedly took a more practical route.

He was a fan of the Fordham Rams and liked how it was short and fitted into a newspaper headline.

If that isn't the most sensible way to name a franchise, then I don't know what is, quite frankly. 

17 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

The owner of the Cleveland Rams supposedly took a more practical route.

He was a fan of the Fordham Rams and liked how it was short and fitted into a newspaper headline.

If that isn't the most sensible way to name a franchise, then I don't know what is, quite frankly. 

Depends why you’re making the headlines though! 😂

27 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I know, but inexplicably, the Eagles and Vikings paid him almost as much again. The guy had blockbuster deals with 3 teams without ever performing at the highest level!

And speaking of wild. Bradford was picked the year after Stafford.

Seems a life time ago.

Bradford was awesome in Minnesota, sadly the injury cut his time short. We’d have had a real chance at the Super Bowl in 2017 if he didn't get injured…we went close with Case Keenum

I've no idea what team I'd have landed on if left to my own devices, I doubt it would have been the Saints as, when I got into the NFL, it was the first of three 7-9 seasons they had in a row. But the prime Brees/Payton offense was always a joy to watch even in losing seasons. So maybe.

I was a big fan of Cam Newton, coming in on his 2nd year I think, so Panthers would have been possible.

But thats definitely what it would have been, whoever had the player I wanted to watch the most - historically I've always chosen teams based on favorite players and little else. 

Derbys the only sports team I've ever supported that hasn't been selected using that method. Now I have strange attachments to teams all over the world because of a player who retired at least a decade ago 😂

As an aside: Sucks for Jordan Love, opening game QB injuries are always rough.

Michael Vick has nothing to do with my selection of the Falcons.

Back in 1986, when NFL started to get really popular in the UK, there used to be one hour available on TV on C4.

All my mates had already got into it and chosen their teams, and the only thing I decided was that if I was going to get into it, I wasn’t going to pick one of the popular teams - Bears were the best and even had a hit single in the UK with the superbowl shuffle.  Also, there were loads of Raiders and Dolphins fans around.

Therefore, I watched the featured highlights game that weekend and decided that, as I hadn’t heard of either, I would take the winner as my team.

Falcons beat the Buccaneers in overtime 23-20 and that was it. So, it was Mick Luckhurst, the English kicker that effectively got me following the Falcons.

Interestingly, he then hosted the NFL show after he retired.  Let’s say he was a better kicker than presenter!

First jersey I bought was Jamal Anderson around the first Super Bowl loss to the Broncos.

That game was crap, but we beat the highly regarded Vikings in the NFC championship 30-27 (Look that up on YouTube - what a game!)

Back then, there were only 28 teams and we shared a division with the 49ers! (Hate ‘em!)

And yes, I am old.

19 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

I'm a Derby fan.

The Rams nickname doesn't really mean anything to me 🤷‍♂️

Really?

The Derby nickname, you mean?

For me,  the two are interchangeable. I think we have one of the most iconic nicknames and badges in the entire country. The Ram is woven into everything, literally and metaphorically.

I suspect most Derby fans would think that, but who knows?

I was thinking about me getting into the Ramns last night and I think it was different back then (1984).

There was very little TV coverage as, iirc Channe;4 had maybe one edited game per week. I frequently had to buy The Guardian on a Tuesday to find out what the Rams did on the Sunday - that seems insane now.

Then I found Armed Forces Netwrok on horrible AM and used to listen to a game on my radio. The signal was awful and when the clocks moved and it was dark, rough to listen to. AM signals hated the dark!

So I suppose there was nothing much to go on other than the city and the name. I did briefly consider the Pats because England was in the name. Pretty shallow, I guess.

As for Bradfprd. I'm sure he played fine, but he was paid like a first ballot hall of fame through his career and he wasn't that. I've no doubt he better than CK, but he was never an elite QB.

3 hours ago, maydrakin said:

Michael Vick has nothing to do with my selection of the Falcons.

Back in 1986, when NFL started to get really popular in the UK, there used to be one hour available on TV on C4.

All my mates had already got into it and chosen their teams, and the only thing I decided was that if I was going to get into it, I wasn’t going to pick one of the popular teams - Bears were the best and even had a hit single in the UK with the superbowl shuffle.  Also, there were loads of Raiders and Dolphins fans around.

Therefore, I watched the featured highlights game that weekend and decided that, as I hadn’t heard of either, I would take the winner as my team.

Falcons beat the Buccaneers in overtime 23-20 and that was it. So, it was Mick Luckhurst, the English kicker that effectively got me following the Falcons.

Interestingly, he then hosted the NFL show after he retired.  Let’s say he was a better kicker than presenter!

First jersey I bought was Jamal Anderson around the first Super Bowl loss to the Broncos.

That game was crap, but we beat the highly regarded Vikings in the NFC championship 30-27 (Look that up on YouTube - what a game!)

Back then, there were only 28 teams and we shared a division with the 49ers! (Hate ‘em!)

And yes, I am old.

I should have read this before I responded.

Lol, yes, Luckhurts was a horrible presenter!

We (the Rams) were in that division with you, the Saints, and the hated 9ers. Back then, the Seahawks weren't even in the NFC; they were an AFC team playing (I think) the Raiders.

That Bears team of 85 were incredible. They beat us in the playoffs, and we never even scored a point. In fact, I think they had back-to back shutouts.

Did you used to subscribe to First Down? That was a cool publication.

7 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Really?

The Derby nickname, you mean?

For me,  the two are interchangeable. I think we have one of the most iconic nicknames and badges in the entire country. The Ram is woven into everything, literally and metaphorically.

I suspect most Derby fans would think that, but who knows?

I was thinking about me getting into the Ramns last night and I think it was different back then (1984).

There was very little TV coverage as, iirc Channe;4 had maybe one edited game per week. I frequently had to buy The Guardian on a Tuesday to find out what the Rams did on the Sunday - that seems insane now.

Then I found Armed Forces Netwrok on horrible AM and used to listen to a game on my radio. The signal was awful and when the clocks moved and it was dark, rough to listen to. AM signals hated the dark!

So I suppose there was nothing much to go on other than the city and the name. I did briefly consider the Pats because England was in the name. Pretty shallow, I guess.

As for Bradfprd. I'm sure he played fine, but he was paid like a first ballot hall of fame through his career and he wasn't that. I've no doubt he better than CK, but he was never an elite QB.

I love our badge and nickname. It has nothing to do with why I'm a Derby fan though and it just doesn't give me a reason to support other teams with that name. I can see why people do it I tried it but there was just no connection there for me.

1 hour ago, jimbo jones said:

I love our badge and nickname. It has nothing to do with why I'm a Derby fan though and it just doesn't give me a reason to support other teams with that name. I can see why people do it I tried it but there was just no connection there for me.

Same. I tried getting into the Rams at first but there was nothing about the team that grabbed me other than being called the Rams. Always liked the name, logo and uniforms of Atlanta Falcons and then Michael Vick came along to seal the deal.

1 hour ago, jimbo jones said:

Could have been Derby County, The Giraffes with a Giraffe as the badge and I’d still be a fan of this club.

Place of birth for me, born and raised. I didn’t choose Derby County, the club chose me. Imagine that will be the same for vast majority.

Others may have been indoctrinated through family etc.

2 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Maybe you said, and I missed it, but what was your connection to the Vikings if it's not for the manly horns?

I saw the Rams play in Minneapolis in about 1989. We lost to a Jim Everett sack in OT. WTF loses to a sack?  I sat next to the great Kevin Greene's mum and dad.

All I can remember about the city is it was colder than Buxton.