Player insurance

Poynton ram

I have seen it mentioned by several people that insurance can be taken out to cover a player’s salary if he is off with an injury. Anyone know how it works and what the premium would be. Take JJ, with his history of injuries is he uninsurable or is the premium that steep that the club wouldn’t pay it? With our long list of injuries we clearly don’t have any no claims discount and I would imagine any premiums would be significant. Bored at work hence the question

1 hour ago, Poynton ram said:

I have seen it mentioned by several people that insurance can be taken out to cover a player’s salary if he is off with an injury. Anyone know how it works and what the premium would be. Take JJ, with his history of injuries is he uninsurable or is the premium that steep that the club wouldn’t pay it? With our long list of injuries we clearly don’t have any no claims discount and I would imagine any premiums would be significant. Bored at work hence the question

In the Radio Derby Podcast with Stephen Pearce he talked about an insurance claim for Embleton (I think). Also paid a small loan fee for JJ 2nd loan spell because of his injury record. Worth a listen for this info and the transfer windows.

Just now, On the Ram Page said:

In the Radio Derby Podcast with Stephen Pearce he talked about an insurance claim for Embleton (I think). Also paid a small loan fee for JJ 2nd loan spell because of his injury record. Worth a listen for this info and the transfer windows.

Yes, I remember him saying we wouldn’t suffer financially as as result of one of the injuries.

55 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

The insurance claim was for Washington's injury whilst on international duty.

Yes I work in the industry. The clubs can buy policies that cover wages for injury/illness. Depending on the type of injury, how it occurred and for the period will determine on the amount they would receive. Up to a maximum of either , a set limit or 100% of the players wages. This gives clubs so room for long term absences. Insurers will probably only cover injury/illness that go on for longer than 4 weeks. 

6 hours ago, bristolram said:

Yes I work in the industry. The clubs can buy policies that cover wages for injury/illness. Depending on the type of injury, how it occurred and for the period will determine on the amount they would receive. Up to a maximum of either , a set limit or 100% of the players wages. This gives clubs so room for long term absences. Insurers will probably only cover injury/illness that go on for longer than 4 weeks. 

Thank you for this info, genuinely wondered about this for about 20 years (a 2001 video game had play insurance built in!) 

I remember the conversation a few years ago when Bryson was out for a few months and Hughes for the season that we had some insurance coming in 

8 hours ago, bristolram said:

Does it cover pre-existing conditions (unlike a lot of insurance)? If not, we may need to rethink recruitment policy given the number of crocks we seem to sign. 😊

11 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Does it cover pre-existing conditions (unlike a lot of insurance)? If not, we may need to rethink recruitment policy given the number of crocks we seem to sign. 😊

I'm an IFA and have arranged a number of policies for players over the years, but also for professional sports clubs (not DCFC).

Players can take out a type of enhanced income protection plan.  Clubs can take out plans which pay salary or pay a lump sum.  You can insure against known injuries; you could even insure a player that has gone off with an injury.  You could even insure Collins.  It is called after the event insurance, so costs a hell of a lot - and would have a lead in time.  So if doctors said he should be fit in a month, you could insure if he isn't back in two, say.

What is to know is that clubs can go to market (i.e. Lloyds of London) and can request any cover they want.  The options available to them are far far far more than ordinary Joes, but you have to be willing to pay the Premium.  The cost of which is determined by the risk level of something happening against the cost it does. 

Plans for players are always expensive, due to salary and risk; but not insuring is often more expensive.