Small website hosting package?

RoyMac5

46 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Wix, Ionos and Fasthosts are probably the 3 most commonly used. There are other tailored products for e-commerce though that might be better, depending on what you're trying to do. Shopify was, I think, one we looked at that looked good, but my memory is sketchy tbh.

No e-commerce needed, but I'll check out the others thanks.

I use Fastwebhost and they have always been fine, until I came to transfer in a domain a few weeks back.

Their support engineers were totally clueless. I literally had to explain to them every step of the way how to do it. 

Which is fine, because that's what I do for a living so I know (and I also knew when they were giving me BS) - but if I didn't know that stuff, we'd still be no further forward now

I moved my domain there from Zen, as although they were based in the UK - they were double the price

As always - you get what you pay for...

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I need to be able to redirect a .uk domain to a .com website

You can do this easily. You will probably have one, if not create a file called .htaccess and upload it to the root.

Inside that file add:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(?:www\.)oldsite\.uk$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^https://newsite.com%{REQUEST_URI} [L,R=301]

Or if you just have the uk domain but no hosting for it, edit the DNS to point to your website server, then add the domain onto your account 

11 minutes ago, David said:

You can do this easily. You will probably have one, if not create a file called .htaccess and upload it to the root.

Inside that file add:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(?:www\.)oldsite\.uk$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^https://newsite.com%{REQUEST_URI} [L,R=301]

Or if you just have the uk domain but no hosting for it, edit the DNS to point to your website server, then add the domain onto your account 

Thanks, I will look into that if I don't chose a cPanel hosting, although I don't totally know what it means I know enough to follow instructions. But cPanel has a section that includes a 'redirect' option and that does it for you. 😄 So I think I will look for a cPanel web host because when looking at the cheap WP Lite Wordpress hosting, the user front end Plesk, means you have to 'change' the root directory of the site. Whilst it maybe straightforward I don't want to do the learning needed to do it. I created the small website some time ago using WP and Elementor plugin and I've forgotten everything I knew. I've already girded my loins for changing the DNS for the domains! 😄

37 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Thanks, I will look into that if I don't chose a cPanel hosting, although I don't totally know what it means I know enough to follow instructions. But cPanel has a section that includes a 'redirect' option and that does it for you. 😄 So I think I will look for a cPanel web host because when looking at the cheap WP Lite Wordpress hosting, the user front end Plesk, means you have to 'change' the root directory of the site. Whilst it maybe straightforward I don't want to do the learning needed to do it. I created the small website some time ago using WP and Elementor plugin and I've forgotten everything I knew. I've already girded my loins for changing the DNS for the domains! 😄

All cPanel does is add the .htaccess for you. Hosting with cPanel in general will cost you more as it's licensed software. 

Most support would do the redirect for you as well, so don't pay over the odds for that one file change.

cPanel. There’s a name I haven’t heard in a while. Didn’t know it was still around! 

lauren bacall smoking GIF by Warner Archive

But on more helpful terms, David has pretty much covered it. A quick htaccess file uploaded into root after 30 seconds in Notepad. Maybe if it’s a super tiny site then checkout Digitalocean or Linode packages for around $5 a month.