Traffic leaving the ground

swanny

Does anyone know what the plan is for for closing/opening roads after a game? I'd always thought the cars near the frankie and bennies roundabout were held until the buses left. 

Last night there we only three buses of derby fans (and one of them was a mini bus) instead they held a  massive queue of traffic from the industrial estate while no busses or cars went over the bridge (towards a52) for about twenty minutes until the away fans were due to leave. 

it seemed totally pointless with nothing leaving pride park until the away buses did. 

Maybe there is a grad plan and I just dont get it but it seemed daft to prevent anything from leaving pride park for so long. 

Its shocking all round, the industrial estate just after the velodrome is a nightmare too, everyone ques down one lane to get out but no traffic ever comes in to the estate at that time down the other lane, they should have martials letting cars go from both sides. 

6 minutes ago, swanny said:

Does anyone know what the plan is for for closing/opening roads after a game? I'd always thought the cars near the frankie and bennies roundabout were held until the buses left. 

Last night there we only three buses of derby fans (and one of them was a mini bus) instead they held a  massive queue of traffic from the industrial estate while no busses or cars went over the bridge (towards a52) for about twenty minutes until the away fans were due to leave. 

it seemed totally pointless with nothing leaving pride park until the away buses did. 

Maybe there is a grad plan and I just dont get it but it seemed daft to prevent anything from leaving pride park for so long. 

It’s just always how it’s done there and they won’t change procedure just because it’s a bit quieter. Even last night I bet you get a few hundred going down that way to the river path and if anything happened on the land it wouldn’t just be the driver who would be liable. Also I imagine as the the road going past PP is closed by police and fans are walking along the road, then they can’t get to the A52 anyway. 

It always been the same there, always have a little giggle at those who have tried to leave early and get caught out yelling at the blokes having to hold everyone up. Also the ones who try to sneak out driving up the wrong lane and can only get so far. 

Yes, it's designed to protect pedestrians leaving the ground and I am grateful for it. 

Once away from the immediate vicinity of the ground we walk back into town down Riverside, which isn't closed to cars at all, and it's a bloody nightmare. Especially with the new electric vehicles which you can't hear coming up behind you. That road should be closed off after the game too, imo. 

1 hour ago, oomarkwright said:

I won't park again in that industrial estate near the old Travelodge place. Too long a hold after the game last season . 

It took until 6:20 pm to get off the car park on Saturday.

I can only speak for one end of the stadium, but the road from the club shop corner to the roundabout by BurgerKing/Costco is usually rammed with pedestrians (Pavement AND Road), and I've always understood this to be the main reason for blocking all traffic in that area.  

I used to park down the exit directly opposite the club shop (Leads to a dead end).  Was always held back until the bulk of the pedestrians had cleared... then it was away coaches first, before the rest of us were allowed to join the free-for-all.

I now usually walk, but even when I cycle it, I always walk alongside the crowds with my bike (after the game) until I reach Costco.  Not because "I have to", but because there are simply too many folk on the road to make cycling a sensible option. 
Not such a problem on the way in, of course, and I can cycle right up to the corner outside the club shop.

53 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I can only speak for one end of the stadium, but the road from the club shop corner to the roundabout by BurgerKing/Costco is usually rammed with pedestrians (Pavement AND Road), and I've always understood this to be the main reason for blocking all traffic in that area.  

I used to park down the exit directly opposite the club shop (Leads to a dead end).  Was always held back until the bulk of the pedestrians had cleared... then it was away coaches first, before the rest of us were allowed to join the free-for-all.

I now usually walk, but even when I cycle it, I always walk alongside the crowds with my bike (after the game) until I reach Costco.  Not because "I have to", but because there are simply too many folk on the road to make cycling a sensible option. 
Not such a problem on the way in, of course, and I can cycle right up to the corner outside the club shop.

That's why we park in town. We enjoy the walk both ways, gives us a clear run at the traffic when we get there, allows us to get rid of any frustrations. What's not to like? 

I think only people with reduced mobility and away fans need to park down by the ground, really. 

Lets be honest the whole road system around there has been a bit of a b*lls up. The third lane on the A52 should have helped things but they didn't make it dual lanes coming off of the A52. They then crapped the plan to make the road go over the roundabout at Costco. this mean traffic lights were introduced and causes the traffic to back up as much as it did before when you had the pedestrian crossing. When you are going to the stadium, busses now park on the opposite side of the road. This means you have two lanes going into one and causes the traffic to back onto the costco roundabout. Someone some where needs to get some common sense.

Leaving car park A is always a problem. we have to wait for the away coaches to leave so it is always ages before we even get to move. Can't they hold the away fans back until we leave. Also on the road from the club shop roundabout to the costco round about, why don't they stop any traffic coming towards the stadium. until the car parks are clear use that road for all cars trying to get out so all 3 lanes. It's daft all that traffic has to go down to a single lane. 

Some simple changes could make a big difference.

15 minutes ago, angieram said:

That's why we park in town. We enjoy the walk both ways, gives us a clear run at the traffic when we get there, allows us to get rid of any frustrations. What's not to like? 

I think only people with reduced mobility and away fans need to park down by the ground, really. 

Agreed.
To be fair, I only drove/parked over there when I had my young grandson with me (from age 7 to 12). 
I went back to walking (I only live down by the cricket ground, so only a 30 minute walk), once grandson stopped coming (Since he lost interest and reached 12yo, so no more freebie ST's!)... and I only used the car as I bagged free parking too, otherwise laddo would have walked, like it or not!  🤣

I can actually walk home quicker than when I was in the car, parked by the stadium.      

21 minutes ago, WestStandStartTheBounce said:

Lets be honest the whole road system around there has been a bit of a b*lls up. The third lane on the A52 should have helped things but they didn't make it dual lanes coming off of the A52. They then crapped the plan to make the road go over the roundabout at Costco. this mean traffic lights were introduced and causes the traffic to back up as much as it did before when you had the pedestrian crossing. When you are going to the stadium, busses now park on the opposite side of the road. This means you have two lanes going into one and causes the traffic to back onto the costco roundabout. Someone some where needs to get some common sense.

Leaving car park A is always a problem. we have to wait for the away coaches to leave so it is always ages before we even get to move. Can't they hold the away fans back until we leave. Also on the road from the club shop roundabout to the costco round about, why don't they stop any traffic coming towards the stadium. until the car parks are clear use that road for all cars trying to get out so all 3 lanes. It's daft all that traffic has to go down to a single lane. 

Some simple changes could make a big difference.

Everyone has to wait for the pedestrians to clear first (As has been established.)
If they then prioritised home fans/Car Park A etc to leave before away fans, I suspect a little "restlessness" would ensue, quite possibly leading to a little "disorder"!  I think the cops like to get the away fans out and away as fast as possible. 

As for the 3 lanes between the NE corner and Costco... They could do what they do (or certainly did years ago?) with the A38 Expressway... middle lane stadium-bound before the game, and Costco-bound after the game (Once the pedestrians have cleared, of course). 
Always seems busier heading towards Costco on a normal weekday tea time too.  They could do the same to suit morning/evening rush hour, and even close the middle lane in between.  Would only take a few signs, and maybe a couple of overhead Red Crosses.  No idea what that would cost?  

Edited by Mucker1884