The Cloughs - A great and continuing Derby County Legacy

Nigel Cough has agreed a new one-year deal with the Stags, with the option of a further year. 

His dad embarked on his professional football career when he signed for Middlesbrough in 1951 and in his managerial career became the biggest personality in our club's history, although some no doubt may beg to differ. Nigel was born in Sunderland in March 1966 and was just 14 months old when his dad moved to Derby in May 1967 to become our manager. The Cloughs made Derby their home and that still continues.

Nigel and his dad's football careers overlapped and their combined continuance in English football now extends to 72 years and is growing. Has there been a longer family legacy in English football? I don't know.

But although there are many who are split on Nigel's tenure as Derby's manager, having been here since they first came to Derby, I for one am both grateful and proud of their association with our club and our city.

Here's to the Cloughs and a big thank you.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

5 hours ago, 2tups said:

Always liked Nigel, but his Dad was the only world class manager who ever gave me a lift to town in his van. 

Which in this instance, is a heartwarming and lovely story.

... But remember kids...

DtunAT7X4AEXflE.jpg

8 hours ago, 2tups said:

Always liked Nigel, but his Dad was the only world class manager who ever gave me a lift to town in his van. 

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

Excellent are we allowed details please?

Something snazzy, I'd wager.

Probably a Ford Thames 300E 7cwt, or very similar?    🤷‍♂️

98346300.jpeg

With my mate Ed, wearing his bobble hat of more simple pre Warne nature, bottom of Ferrers Way. Maybe ‘73. Waiting on a bus when the great man pulls up with wife and kids in some kind of mini bus thing and says jump in. For some reason we were off to Notts for the day on the bus as an adventure. Do recall he told Ed to take the hat off before we got there. An awestruck teen. 

12 hours ago, 2tups said:

I used to watch for his silver Mercedes pulling on to Osmaston Road at half four each afternoon from my office window! Time to wake up and go home!