Steve Emery

Elwood P Dowd

7 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I never particularly rated Emery but that tackle was horrific. I remember the venomous shouts of ‘animal, animal’ whenever Gow touched the ball at the game at the BBG. I remember nothing else about it though. I am presuming it did actually happen. He scored against Notts Forest though! 

Gow was playing for Rotherham at the time 

24 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I am presuming it did actually happen. He scored against Notts Forest though! 

Goal at 40 seconds. Somone on the forum, I can't remember who was at the Rotherham game and said the tackle was horrific even for the time.

Edited by Shipley Ram

He never properly recovered from that injury.

I'm pretty sure that he was injured in the away match and Gow was consequently destroyed by the fans at the Baseball Ground in the return fixture because of it. To this day I think that he was affected more than any other player I've ever seen by that 90 minutes of pure abuse, and rightly so

2 hours ago, Loughborough Ram said:

He never properly recovered from that injury.

I'm pretty sure that he was injured in the away match and Gow was consequently destroyed by the fans at the Baseball Ground in the return fixture because of it. To this day I think that he was affected more than any other player I've ever seen by that 90 minutes of pure abuse, and rightly so

That’s correct. The vitriol was palpable. I can’t recall the effect on Gow as was so long ago but remember the chants and atmosphere vividly.Can’t remember chants of ‘animal’ before or since. What are your recollections of how it affected him?

Edited by Steve Buckley’s Dog
Missed words

I can remember that he had an awful game and wasn't as combative as he normally was.

Every missed pass he played helped to fuel the crowd and its the only game, to this day, that I can recall a player getting stick every time he touched the ball, rather than the crowd getting bored after 10 minutes.

I feel like he was substituted but I think that that's just my mind playing tricks as tactical substitutions were very rare in those days.