Playing out from the back

Carl Sagan

I think when we played Charlton LR alluded to something at the end of the first half where we went a bit risk averse and played a long goal kick after we’d been dominating. Charlton won the ball, got a foothold and missed two good chances in the space of a few minutes.

Stood out to me because I remember thinking it was good that what I felt was a sensible decision was made, to not try and play out at the end of the half. But I hadn’t thought about the other side of it that Derby had complete control and going long changed the end of the half into a series of 50/50’s. 

The point being I don’t think it’s as easy as saying do it sometimes, don’t do it others. Because fundamentally there is a reason we do it and it is not something you can just switch off

Happy for us to play out from the back SOME of the time. Our problem, particularly on Saturday, was the defender receiving the ball didn't seem to have anticipated what he was going to do once he'd received it. Three times Roberts took the ball in space then turned into trouble.

We need to do a lot more work on the training field if we're to use the tactic as often as Leroy seems to want to.

13 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Happy for us to play out from the back SOME of the time. Our problem, particularly on Saturday, was the defender receiving the ball didn't seem to have anticipated what he was going to do once he'd received it. Three times Roberts took the ball in space then turned into trouble.

We need to do a lot more work on the training field if we're to use the tactic as often as Leroy seems to want to.

What Liam wants is much more important.