Electric car batteries

FindernRam

22 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Thanks for that, I had already seen it but I was looking for some real life experience.  Thinking about a small EV for her indoors and local use. But I'm always a bit suspicious about bleeding edge technology with hidden costs behind the hype.

3 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Thanks for that, I had already seen it but I was looking for some real life experience.  Thinking about a small EV for her indoors and local use. But I'm always a bit suspicious about bleeding edge technology with hidden costs behind the hype.

Lease it, then just swap every 4 years or so.

Edited by Boycie

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Lease it, then just swap every 4 years or so.

I think thats the plan, but as we get older there will probably only be a couple or 3 of swaps so I'm just considering the options. EVs are mechanically simpler so in theory should last for plenty years IF the batteries hold out.

21 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I think thats the plan, but as we get older there will probably only be a couple or 3 of swaps so I'm just considering the options. EVs are mechanically simpler so in theory should last for plenty years IF the batteries hold out.

I'd agree with the lease option suggested earlier. Limits your risk. 

As you say, with such new tech, you just can't be sure. I see Tesla are starting to get quite a bad reputation now in terms of reliability for example, despite all the early adopters raving about them. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10217643/Tesla-electric-SUVs-poor-scores-Consumer-Reports.html#:~:text=Tesla may be the world's,out of 28 in reliability.

Edited by therealhantsram

I just bought an electric car. Excited about receiving it at the end of February. But it’s on a lease, so I’ll have swapped it long before the battery becomes an issue. I do wonder about who gets it after me though. Who would buy a second hand ev? But I assume the manufacturer will refurbish it and swap out the battery before reselling it. 

I imagine swapping out the battery is considerably cheaper than getting a whole new car. A bit like your phone. When the battery gets crap, you can get a new battery and it doesn’t cost that much, but most people just figure it’s time for a new phone and a new contract at that point. 

I think a lot of people still think of cars as assets to own. Those of us who have grown up with mobile phone contracts, and swapping them every couple of years, just think of a car in those terms. It makes life a lot less stressful. Just consider it as an ongoing monthly bill, like a mortgage or mobile phone, and then as long as you can afford that, there’s nothing else to worry about. 

10 hours ago, FindernRam said:

If you don't mind being limited to 28mph, and only intend to use the car for local trips, I'd suggest the Citroen Amie.

Soon to be released, price tag of around £6k, and lease deals available.