Where are they now: Marco Gabbiadini

Day

In a career that took in 11 Football League clubs over nearly two decades Marco Gabbiadini scored more than 200 career goals. After starting at home town club York City, Gabbiadini found particular success with Sunderland and Derby County. In January 2004 the days of terrorising defences finally came to an end, and Marco's career path turned in a very different direction.

"With my wife and I both being from York we were both fully aware that the tourist industry was massive there. When you are weighing up various options it hits you in the face.

"Both our parents were in the industry as well so we already had a little bit of history in that field."

With that in mind Marco and his wife took control of The Bishops Hotel, and whilst the recession has cruelly claimed the lives of many businesses this is one establishment that has continued to thrive in York.

"That has been successful for us and the city is still booming as a tourist destination. Thankfully we haven't been affected by the bad news on the economic front in recent years.

"The way we run it we don't have a restaurant, it is just bed and breakfast which takes a lot of the pressure off. As a result we have a great lifestyle."

As well as running a thriving business Marco is once again getting a taste of the industry he served so well from 1985 until 2004.

"I also work for a company now called Inspire 2 Independence. In 2008 we made a pledge to help 5,000 people back to work by 2012 through football based activity and that is how I got involved.

"We run coaching academies at numerous football clubs including Sunderland, Manchester United, Blackburn Rovers, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Burnley and Blackpool."

Marco's busy schedule also sees him co-hosting a phone-in on BBC Radio Newcastle five nights a week, whilst the flourishing football career of his son maintains his love affair with the game.

"When I stopped playing I quite enjoyed the break initially, but then my son has just joined Hull City's youth team and I am back watching him and ferrying him around the country.

"I now miss that tingle you get from football. I was watching West Brom against Sunderland recently and you still wish that you were involved."

Watching the progress of his son gives Marco a perfect insight into the worlds of professional football and what he does now.

"Being a footballer is hard work. My son is travelling every day like a lot of youngsters have to do. Every one of his friends went to the Leeds Festival but he couldn't make it. The sacrifices are worth it though because I enjoyed every minute of it.

"You cannot say being a footballer is not enjoyable. I used to say on cold and wet mornings that it's better than working for a living. Although it's your job it's not like turning up at a factory, it's a privilege."

That privilege earned Marco hero status as he banged in the goals up and down the country, and two teams rank particularly high in his affections.

"Derby and Sunderland were two great clubs to play for with fantastic support. I still get recognised when I go back there and it gives you a nice warm feeling inside.

"I also have affections for Northampton Town, Darlington, Hartlepool United and obviously York City because they were my home town club."

Marco can still be regularly spotted at the Stadium of Light and believes there are exciting times ahead.

"I try and watch as many games as I can and have a good relationship with people at the club which is nice.

"That has really got me into the swing of things again but at a distance and without the pressures that managers and coaches have."

For Marco the pressures are very different. Ensuring The Bishops Hotel remains a popular destination where competition is fierce is enough of a challenge, and this is juggled with a working week that again sees him embracing his love of football.

Who knows, it may not be too long before the name Gabbiadini is back creating back page headlines.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/features/20100902/where-are-they-now-marco-gabbiadini_2249035_2142656

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
I'm sorry, but, if you make an effort to go to this Hotel or B&B because you are a fan, the least is that he should make an appearance.

You wouldn't get this at Steven Pearsons Guest House.

Probably because he'd be running straight past your table to give your brekkie to somebody else!

Archived