Jack Parry.

Bill Curry

The name probably only means something to Rams fans of my vintage.  He was the Rams captain when I first started going to the BBG around 1961 and played what was then called wing-half (No 4) having started out as inside forward (No.8).

He was that very unusual species - a one club man and I'm sorry to se him suffering from that dreadful scourge of dementia.

He was the epitome of the Rams in that era - solid and unspectacular just like his team mates Geoff Barrowcliffe, Ray Young, Tony Conwell et al.

Very sad situation for him and his family.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/nostalgia/battling-ex-Derby-county-star-5607389

One of the greatest characters and finest players in Derby County’s history celebrates his 90th birthday later this month, in a care home where he suffers from dementia.

Former striker Jack Parry can remember many of his ex-teammates from the 1950s - but often cannnot recognise his own son.

Adored by his family and Rams fans fortunate enough to have seen him play, Jack began his Derby County career in the days of Raich Carter and Billy Steel.

A measure of his longevity as a player was that he ended it when Kevin Hector was starring. By then he had amassed 517 first-team appearances – only one of them as a substitute – and had broken the club record for League appearances and scored 110 goals.

Jack was a one-club man who gave the Rams 20 years’ loyal years. Over 500 games, half of them slogging through the ankle-deep mud of the Baseball Ground, is testament to that.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Bill

My Dad played football with him in the Army when they both did National Service. A few months after they both left the Army Derby had a goalkeeping injury crisis and Jack remembered my Dad and got him to play a couple of A team (not sure if this was the reserves or third team of it's day) games.

The romance ended their as my Dad said he and the team were out of their depth and they lost 8-2 to Spurs. He always spoke highly of Jack and was grateful for the call.