Paddy Madden - Bohemians

Rodders

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Paddy Madden - Bohemians (again)

Clough went over to Dublin in the summer on a couple of occasions to watch Madden but did not make a bid.

Celtic have also been in for him and had a €100k bid accepted about 3 weeks ago. Maddens agent is his brother who by all accounts has been making a hash of the discussions with Celtic.

Derby were back in touch with Boh's last week with an interest in Madden again although we had not made a formal bid at the time I was talking to my contact in the club (Sunday).

The League of Ireland season finished last Friday and Boh's finished 2nd to Shamrock Rovers on goal difference = less prize money = no Champions League revenue next year = serious financial meltdown. Boh's are looking to cash in quickly now that the season is over and regular matchday revenue has ceased.

The opinion from the club is that we may well make a formal bid for Madden shortly.

I know statistics aren't everything, but 16 goals in 44 appearances... I think I could bag that amount.

Unless dirt cheap, I'd sooner see a reserve lad given a shot.

But we'll see how it works out then.

Cheers for the info. :)

As a poster above said. Doyle scored 1 in 3 in that league and he is now a premiership regular.

As a poster above said. Doyle scored 1 in 3 in that league and he is now a premiership regular.

But what about the countless number of flops.

Not say I don't want him, just don't wanna be paying through the arse.

Gotta mate in Ireland who doesn't rate him, but he's just a bitter Shamrock fan.

Davenport: Championship>Irish League

Thanks for the info. What's he like mate?

He is very quick and gets in good positions but regular Boh's fans have been complaining about the number of scoring opportunities he misses (they missed out on the league title on goal difference - by 2 goals).

The consensus is that he is raw and far from the finished article but he has serious potential given the right environment.

He had a red hot spell around July and scored a good few goals in a run or 5 or 6 games and was made LOI player of the month. That coincided with the publicity about Derby and Celtic and it seemed to affect his form. He got dropped to the bench for a while and then came back in to the reckoning at the end of the season. Scored a cracker in the last game of the season against Dundalk.

I see the post that a Shamrock Rovers fan didnt rate him - dont expect any Shamrock Rovers fan to say anything positive about a Boh's player :p

As good as the mighty Hulse then.

I've seen full highlights of a fair few Irish League games, it's not a good quality.

Remember a while ago Jewell was looking at a winger from Ireland called O'Shea? Well I do believe that player was snapped up by Birmingham. And where is he now?

Stevenage.

Players who play there, for the most part, can't hack it over here, it's a huge gulf in class.

I've seen full highlights of a fair few Irish League games, it's not a good quality.

Remember a while ago Jewell was looking at a winger from Ireland called O'Shea? Well I do believe that player was snapped up by Birmingham. And where is he now?

Stevenage.

Players who play there, for the most part, can't hack it over here, it's a huge gulf in class.

For the most, you may be right but every now and again a little gem crops up.

4 ex-LOI players are currently in the Repulblic of Ireland squad.

Kevin Doyle - Wolves

Keith Fahey - Birmingham

Shane Long - Reading

Seamus Coleman - Everton

Jay OShea is on loan at Stevenage but he is still on Birminghams books.

The argument for not buying LOI players is the same one for not buying League 1 or League 2 players. Most of them are not up to it (hence the reason they are playing there) but there are bargains to be had if you know what you are looking for and can spot a player (Clough is obviously trying to apply his Moxey, Bailey, Brayford priciples to the Irish market).

The facts of the matter are, if you can unearth a talent in the LOI it will undoubtedly cost you significantly less that buying a player of the same standard in the English system. There are risks associated with buying any player in any market.

For the most, you may be right but every now and again a little gem crops up.

4 ex-LOI players are currently in the Repulblic of Ireland squad.

Kevin Doyle - Wolves

Keith Fahey - Birmingham

Shane Long - Reading

Seamus Coleman - Everton

Jay OShea is on loan at Stevenage but he is still on Birminghams books.

The argument for not buying LOI players is the same one for not buying League 1 or League 2 players. Most of them are not up to it (hence the reason they are playing there) but there are bargains to be had if you know what you are looking for and can spot a player (Clough is obviously trying to apply his Moxey, Bailey, Brayford priciples to the Irish market).

The facts of the matter are, if you can unearth a talent in the LOI it will undoubtedly cost you significantly less that buying a player of the same standard in the English system. There are risks associated with buying any player in any market.

Agreed about the little gems, I think a trial would be needed before buying the player as you never can tell a players level until they play against players of that level. (If that makes sense)

• 2 months later...

Archived