Can we assume MM is a rich man

Curtains

5 minutes ago, Curtains said:

The team needs investment but I can now see the point that Mel was pushing regarding the Academy.

We could get by with the younger players and a few seasoned players even if we get relegated.

Player investment with transfers has to be the last of our priorities right now. 

But typical Mel, he pushed too hard. The youngsters needed/need experienced players to guide them. We have the opportunity to rebuild the squad on a limited budget - other teams in the Championship do it. I'm happy with the players Rooney got in on loan in January, I can't think they were on big money nor cost lots to loan. So I can see that he could get similar players in to strengthen the squad over the summer.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I meant I waited a year paying utility bills out of my own pocket for a buyer who was never going to materialise and give me the price I wanted for the house. 

So I had 3 choices either take the low ball offers, spend some of my own money to get a better asking price or carrying on paying dead money in the non existent hope that someone was going to give me the price I wanted. 

I didn't mean splash the cash I meant he surely has to realise by now like myself in this same position that I had to spend some more money of my own to recoup something back.

I didn't find it a very attractive proposition either but you can only deny reality for so long. 

I agree.

I believe that appointing Cocu and then especially Rooney was part of the ‘making it attractive to a buyer’ due to the marketing opportunities that would have been a relatively low cost investment which would have been hoped to drive interest.

Difficult though to see where else he could make it a more attractive proposition when the Academy is already top class, and can’t really do much with the squad for financial reasons.

I can only see naming rights of the stadium as an opportunity and Mel would have no doubt explored it numerous times.

So, probably a case of get rid of it all for very little. I also suspect that as Mel’s likely to be a proud man, who has done very well in business, leaving Derby in its current position won’t rest easy with him, and he surely won’t want the FL, Gibson et al to pull one over him in terms of a points deduction or other punishment.

It will be interesting to see what he does next.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

But typical Mel, he pushed too hard. The youngsters needed/need experienced players to guide them. We have the opportunity to rebuild the squad on a limited budget - other teams in the Championship do it. I'm happy with the players Rooney got in on loan in January, I can't think they were on big money nor cost lots to loan. So I can see that he could get similar players in to strengthen the squad over the summer.

Who is to say he pushed too hard mate .

He probably as he said knew we had to cut costs.

Thing is the EFL haven’t helped Derby with pointless charges regarding amortization and ground sale even after we were cleared they appealed.

The Keogh compensation is a ridiculous amount and Cocu not working out cost us big time. 

I have no doubt Mel was doing his best but he now needs to face reality and cut his losses.

His best option might be not to sell but that’s his choice and down to his personal circumstances 

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Not sure. 

I find this whole thing bizarre really. 

If Mel wants to sell well he needs to cut his losses .

Simply put he needs to sell cheaper as a going concern ie cut the debts 

on other hand he could just walk away and say I've had enough. and where will that leave us ?

Just now, islandram said:

on other hand he could just walk away and say I've had enough. and where will that leave us ?

Well of course he could that’s why being too harsh on the guy is ridiculous.

The fans and Mel need a consensus on the way forward 

1 hour ago, Rammeister said:

I agree.

I can only see naming rights of the stadium as an opportunity and Mel would have no doubt explored it numerous times.

So, probably a case of get rid of it all for very little. I also suspect that as Mel’s likely to be a proud man, who has done very well in business, leaving Derby in its current position won’t rest easy with him, and he surely won’t want the FL, Gibson et al to pull one over him in terms of a points deduction or other punishment.

It will be interesting to see what he does next.

would this benefit the club directly?

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Well of course he could that’s why being too harsh on the guy is ridiculous.

The fans and Mel need a consensus on the way forward 

sorry curtain but how the hell is that achieved?

12 minutes ago, Spanish said:

holly crap, rams trust?  Shoot me now?

Maybe some of them have better ideas than currently, who knows. Yes they are perceived in a negative way by some, but like any of these organisations, join it and change them if you don't like them.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Maybe some of them have better ideas than currently, who knows. Yes they are perceived in a negative way by some, but like any of these organisations, join it and change them if you don't like them.

you'll remember what it was like in the day,'we've got a secret but we are not telling you' approach to life.  I found then the biggest bunch of sanctimonious .... I have ever come across.  What site did we post on back in those days?  One of the more vitriolic posters joined them for the reason you mentioned and he was ground down by all the politics.  Oh what fun

4 minutes ago, Spanish said:

you'll remember what it was like in the day,'we've got a secret but we are not telling you' approach to life.  I found then the biggest bunch of sanctimonious .... I have ever come across.  What site did we post on back in those days?  One of the more vitriolic posters joined them for the reason you mentioned and he was ground down by all the politics.  Oh what fun

Should be some on here that will enjoy them then! ? I agree with what you said, but if I was that bothered I'd do something about them, but I'm not, so I don't. But they did do certain things when needed all that time ago - although again I can't remember exactly what, A4 bits of printed paper...

2 hours ago, islandram said:

In administration with a 12 point penalty.  Needing to find maybe £10m to pay the football related debts to remain in the EFL. Having to negotiate with MSD to lease back Pride Park and Moor Farm buildings and Loco Park Estate for the land use. Then having to find a buyer who would negotiate a CVA with the creditors including  HMRC to emerge from administration. If no buyer can be found or the creditors won't agree and the money runs out we go into liquidation. If we can't show the EFL sufficient cash flow to fulfill our fixtures or enter a 2nd season in administration we get expelled from the EFL.

Archived