FSA survey on the use of VAR

Gaspode

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In theory, it can be a great idea, but i can’t believe how atrociously they’ve implemented it. 

it really doesn’t have to be complicated. It’s been brought in for ‘clear and obvious errors’. We’ve all seen them, Henry’s handball against Ireland, Maradonna’s hand of god etc. the type of errors where the whole stadium can see it, but fir whatever reason the ref was looking the wrong way at that moment, it gives him a chance to have a second look.

People always complain about the definition of ‘clear and obvious’, but it doesn’t have to be complicated. If the error can easily be seen within a couple of seconds from looking at a different angle, then it’s clear and obvious. If not, move on, with no significant break in play.

that’s the simplest implementation, which would make it almost invisible. I actually wouldn’t be against a challenge system, which we know works well in tennis and cricket, and allows players who feel completely aggrieved by what they feel is a terrible decision a second chance to look at it again with the ref. I believe that would stop play acting, give more respect to refs as players and refs can work together coke to the correct decision, and limited challenges (one challenge a half, if it’s successfully upheld, you get it back), would ensure the breaks in play are minimised, and the challenges are only used when the player genuinely feels there’s been an error.

I don’t think it’s helped the VAR has come into the game at the same time as ridiculous changes in the offside and handball rules. VAR actually negates these rule changes, there was no need to bring them in at the same time.

there was an issue with clarity over offside, lines drawn and all that, but VAR would let you easily see if there was anything obvious, without having to go down to toe nails.

there was an issue with clarity over handballs, but the rule was always ‘intentional handball’. Intention is difficult to see in real time. But with VAR, you can just leave the rule as it is, and VAR can help you see if there’s intention.

the only problem is, if it’s implemented correctly, I don’t think it would actually need to be used that often. How often has the hand of god happened in all the thousands and thousands of games since? So I think they need to justify the expense of it by using it at every opportunity, and that’s what’s ruining it.

People just need to accept errors as part of the game/part of life. The Addison disallowed goal v Forest - probably the most controversial refereeing decision in the last decade involving Derby. I went absolutely mental along with 30,000 others when that happened, but by the time I'd got back home I was over it. (Okay maybe it took about 2 weeks really, but still, poo happens, move on). It didn't matter that I thought the decision was wrong and cost us a win, what happened, happened.

That decision itself has become part of the folklore of the East Midlands Derby. Addison powers in a last minute winner would also have gone down in history but 'positive' and 'negative' experiences all count the same. It was all part of the game, part of our lives...

As usual, TV was to blame for the introduction of VAR. Trial by TV has been gradually getting more and more frenzied since I don't know when. The clamour from pundits who after looking at an incident 200 times, in HD super slow motion, magnified by 200% still either; can't agree what happened, or the footage isn't clear enough to prove what should happen, was relentless for video refereeing to be introduced. 

Then they got what they wanted and because the idea is fundamentally flawed by fouls etc being down to "in the opinion of the referee" they kick off about it every other Saturday.

I've not watched more than maybe 10 hours of football (live or highlights) in the last two years outside of attending a few Derby games because the game is just total crap right now. VAR Wasn't the only thing that turned me off the game but it was probably the straw that broke the camel's back.

Amen @JoetheRam

I can't be doing with the pampered self indulgent nonsense. 

I agree with you, I like errors. Even when they are against us they write the stories. So Derby lost a match cus of a linesman or dropped a point because of a referee. Does it matter? It's a game ffs that goes on and on year after year. Nobody died. 

It all takes itself too serious. They're all pampered little egos flooded with so much attention and money that they have lost touch with reality. 

You don't need VAR in football. You need logic, common sense and dose of getting fecking real

VAR isn’t the problem, it’s the way it’s been implemented and the rule changes that has made the game worse. 

We’re effectively in a trial period, not sure why it can’t be tested in behind closed doors games until it works with minimal interruption to the game.

1 hour ago, David said:

VAR isn’t the problem, it’s the way it’s been implemented and the rule changes that has made the game worse. 

We’re effectively in a trial period, not sure why it can’t be tested in behind closed doors games until it works with minimal interruption to the game.

I can't believe it was brought in such a sorry state. How did nobody with common sense not stop it at the door and was like 'hey up! This is flawed' 

They're making it up as they go and of course in football nobody ever admits they're wrong. So they add rules to support broken rule. 

Like Handball and offside. Oh this is broken. Here's a new rule. Oh! That rule hasn't helped? Well, let's keep it in place but here's a rule to help that rule make sense. 

All these great thinkers paid for thinking. Probably should cut their overtime 

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I can't believe it was brought in such a sorry state. How did nobody with common sense not stop it at the door and was like 'hey up! This is flawed' 

They're making it up as they go and of course in football nobody ever admits they're wrong. So they add rules to support broken rule. 

Like Handball and offside. Oh this is broken. Here's a new rule. Oh! That rule hasn't helped? Well, let's keep it in place but here's a rule to help that rule make sense. 

All these great thinkers paid for thinking. Probably should cut their overtime 

Yeah it’s a mess and I’m not entirely sure what the solution is, unless we share control of the game with an official in the stands helping to make decisions with the ref. 

I don’t see us ever moving away from technology, but the right decision now would be to withdraw it from the season and trial it at behind closed doors friendlies between academy teams. 

Listen to the players, listen to the fans, what we have now, just isn’t it. 

Just give the power back to the Ref - let them use the technology when they need it rather than it overseeing everything that happens on the pitch. If a linesman is happy with their call then carry on with the game - if they’re not sure, they can ask VAR to clarify. It’s not difficult if the desire is there to get it sorted....

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Just give the power back to the Ref - let them use the technology when they need it rather than it overseeing everything that happens on the pitch. If a linesman is happy with their call then carry on with the game - if they’re not sure, they can ask VAR to clarify. It’s not difficult if the desire is there to get it sorted....

Do you see linesmen sticking their flags up then a few seconds later saying to the ref, erm actually I might have got that one wrong? Not sure. Also think we would see more players in the officials faces screaming for reviews.

Another option would be to bring in challenge flags, give both managers say 3 flags a game, chuck it down in front of the 3rd official if you want a decision reviewed.

Clubs would have their own person in the stand watching a monitor having contact with the bench to say I would challenge that.

Wouldn't "fix" VAR itself, the review process still needs to be sped up, watch it a couple of times in slow motion, remove all this Stockley Park drawing lines on the players fingertips.

Just accept human officials and mistakes and errors of judgment are part of the game.

Because that is what sports are, even proffesional sports, and they are only popular because they are entertaining. VAR is not entertaining in any way.

"We can't have wrong decisions because there's so much money invested in the game" is an ass backwards argument - you shouldn't be putting so much money into a game that by it's nature depends on judgment calls.

Archived