Best Ever Signing

ramsbottom

On 25/03/2020 at 15:01, ramit said:

Whatever Aljosa Asanovic was signed for, it was a fantastic signing

£875k From Napoli I think. 

During my time I’d say Eranio. Signed one free from AC Milan. 

Stimac, Chris Powell and Lee Carsly also bargains. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Raich Van Carter said:

£875k From Napoli I think. 

During my time I’d say Eranio. Signed one free from AC Milan. 

Stimac, Chris Powell and Lee Carsly also bargains. 

We sold Asanovic to Napoli, we signed him from Hajduk Split. I still can't believe he didn't play more games for us. Such a talent.

Sith Happens

should have been up there but sadly wasn't to be , kinkladze

had we played to his strengths rather than treat him as a luxury our stay in the PL may have gone on well beyond 6 years 

On 25/03/2020 at 10:50, ramsbottom said:

Here you go @therealhantsram 

Pound for pound, who's our best ever signing???

For me, there's a few - 

Igor Stimac - How we blagged a silky smooth, Rolls Royce or a player, who was captain of a very well regarded Croatian side, for £1.5m I will never know...

Dean Saunders - I know he's since turned into a bit of a Bamford, but what a player he was for us.  Lightening quick in thought and movement, and a natural finisher.  Bonus points for his transfer to us being so annoying for Mark Lawernson, he's been pissed off ever since.

Dave Mckay - Being in my (very early) 40's I never saw him play, but everything I've read, and watched about him, makes it abundantly clear he was a transformational influence on that side, and the club as a whole, for many years.

Leon Osman - I know it was only a loan, but his all action displays, in a midfield crying out for some quality, pretty much kept us up that season.

Dave Mackay...100% ...I was lucky enough to be there...one advantage of being an old git!

On 25/03/2020 at 14:49, GlastoEls said:

Got to be Mackay isn’t it?

100%!One of the greatest performances I've ever seen was September 1969... Mackay's first game against Spurs where he was a legend..We absolutely slaughtered a star studded Spurs team 5-0.. only a few weeks after promotion to the First Division...it was incredible.And a record Rams attendance of 41,826... wonderful memories!

5 hours ago, ollycutts1982 said:

We sold Asanovic to Napoli, we signed him from Hajduk Split. I still can't believe he didn't play more games for us. Such a talent.

Sorry, you’re quite right. This working from home is making me dim. 

My favourite player prob. Just loved his flair. Even his strops were somehow endearing. Rose tinted or what! ??

On 31/03/2020 at 15:17, Brummie Steve said:

Colin Todd!

Paid the going rate but worth every last farthing.

How else could we get anyone to fill Mackay's boots?

Rolls Royce went bust that week and Colin Todd's signing was still front page of the DET. £175k if my memory serves me well.

I`m surprised no-one`s mentioned Brian Clough as the original question didn`t refer to a player....just "signing".

If you want a player, then I would suggest Willie Carlin for being the catalyst that enabled others to perform.

1 hour ago, King Kevin said:

Rolls Royce went bust that week and Colin Todd's signing was still front page of the DET. £175k if my memory serves me well.

Correct!

In real terms Toddy would've cost about £3.5 million today!

Gordon Banks would've cost Stoke £1 million

Charlie George would've cost us £2 million

and we'd be going into the Popside to watch the Premiership Champions for £6 a time.

Don't think of it. I hate to see grown men cry!?

Archived