The Politics Thread 2020

35 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Somebody asked on Twitter yesterday if people thought Johnson had done a great job under the intense pressure from the media.

Well, clearly a loaded question, but I was utterly floored by the answers.

I foolishly thought people would push back.

But so many were saying he's done a fantastic job. And the media are to blame of blowing things out of all proportion.

WTF world are we living in?

I get personal politics and when you're in an 'us and them' scenario you lash out and defend your tribe, but this is sectarianism at its worst.

And stupidest.

It's like Derby fans refusing to believe the Leeds team in the 70s' was any good.

Of that the Forest team of the last 70s' was poo.

We ALL want to believe that, but facts kind of matter.

We were stunned by the appalling situations in Italy and Spain, and yet we have drifted past them in terms of cases and deaths with the aplomb of Ayrton Senna going past Mr Bean.

Johnson shut us down 9 days after Spain when we both had our first case of the same day, and you think he doesn't need calling to account for that?

And more importantly, you don't think you can break Party lines in the name of decency and honesty?

GTFAOH.

You are spot on but falling short on one point. Never under estimate how stupid people can be.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

You are spot on but falling short on one point. Never under estimate how stupid people can be.

Now, now. Don't go calling people stupid. You'll have all the brexiteers getting paranoid, thinking you're talking about them.

52 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

And more importantly, you don't think you can break Party lines in the name of decency and honesty?

It's quite bizarre how people seek to defend the indefensible according to which political party they've voted for, but to give this thread and the majority of its contributors credit we all can see what a car crash the government is making of the situation.

This virus is far too important to allow partisanship to cloud our views.

I wanted nothing more than the Government's handling of Covid to be as successful as possible, to save as many lives as possible. Furlough was a great policy, as was most of the financial measures they've taken, I realise some have fell between the gaps but I still believe they did everything possible in that sphere.

However in every other department they've been found lacking of even a basic level of competence. 

Two missed months of preparations regarding PPE, Testing and scaling back international travel.

Too slow to lockdown, for no better reason than allowing the Cheltenham Festival to go ahead, as far as I can see, although maybe Carries Baby Shower (for those unaware, Boris recommend we stay at home beforehand, then ordered us to after said event) also played a role.

Hancock comes in, all bright eyed and eager, an upgrade on Hunt as Health Secretary, or so it seemed.

He's long been an advocate of using technology to improve results in the NHS, as shown for his backing for tech firms promoting remote GP appointment's prior to the crisis, almost certainly not because they've donated money to his personal campaign costs.

Two months on he's a gibbering wreck, I almost feel sorry for him.

He's realised too late in the game he's the patsy, sent out to face Holding and Bishop without not just a helmet but without a box.

His faith in Tech, long the Achilles heel of the NHS, and the actions of his boss's boss Cummins, have left him exposed on the crease without even a bat for protection.

Experts come and go on the podiums either side, like a game of pool where winner stays on, depending on whether they can swallow their principles and stay on message or not.

I hope JVT and the Chief nurse Ruth May at least picked up their quid as they walked away from the table.

That leads me on to Boris.

Can anyone point out another world leader who at this time works a 2 day week?

He's got a world class education, yet a junior school understanding

My missus reckons I'm harsh on him, seeing as he's not long out of hospital and has a new baby, but he's not Mark from the office, he's the elected leader of the country, if he can't fulfil the demands asked of him time or health wise he should stand aside, even temporarily.

I could go on and on, I already have, but another few months of this disastrous leadership could see us in a very bad place, and I see no change happening soon.

We can't have 4 more years of this incompetence, surely?

TL,DR what about Blair though?

4 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

It's quite bizarre how people seek to defend the indefensible according to which political party they've voted for, but to give this thread and the majority of its contributors credit we all can see what a car crash the government is making of the situation.

This virus is far too important to allow partisanship to cloud our views.

I wanted nothing more than the Government's handling of Covid to be as successful as possible, to save as many lives as possible. Furlough was a great policy, as was most of the financial measures they've taken, I realise some have fell between the gaps but I still believe they did everything possible in that sphere.

However in every other department they've been found lacking of even a basic level of competence. 

Two missed months of preparations regarding PPE, Testing and scaling back international travel.

Too slow to lockdown, for no better reason than allowing the Cheltenham Festival to go ahead, as far as I can see, although maybe Carries Baby Shower (for those unaware, Boris recommend we stay at home beforehand, then ordered us to after said event) also played a role.

Hancock comes in, all bright eyed and eager, an upgrade on Hunt as Health Secretary, or so it seemed.

He's long been an advocate of using technology to improve results in the NHS, as shown for his backing for tech firms promoting remote GP appointment's prior to the crisis, almost certainly not because they've donated money to his personal campaign costs.

Two months on he's a gibbering wreck, I almost feel sorry for him.

He's realised too late in the game he's the patsy, sent out to face Holding and Bishop without not just a helmet but without a box.

His faith in Tech, long the Achilles heel of the NHS, and the actions of his boss's boss Cummins, have left him exposed on the crease without even a bat for protection.

Experts come and go on the podiums either side, like a game of pool where winner stays on, depending on whether they can swallow their principles and stay on message or not.

I hope JVT and the Chief nurse Ruth May at least picked up their quid as they walked away from the table.

That leads me on to Boris.

He's got a world class education, yet a junior school understanding

My missus reckons I'm harsh on him, seeing as he's not long out of hospital and has a new baby, but he's not Mark from the office, he's the elected leader of the country, if he can't fulfil the demands asked of him time or health wise he should stand aside, even temporarily.

I could go on and on, I already have, but another few months of this disastrous leadership could see us in a very bad place, and I see no change happening soon.

We can't have 4 more years of this incompetence, surely?

TL,DR what about Blair though?

This.

Post of year to sum up the government response to Covid crisis.

27 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I was going to point at Trump as my answer. Then realised he doesn't do two hours of work never mind two days.

So we should be thankful for small mercies, that Johnson is only slightly less of a buffoon than his counterpart across the pond.

9 hours ago, Curtains said:

Everything 

The government rely on experts telling them the truth 

The fact is constant criticism and ridicule in this present situation helps nobody 

Mistake after mistake helps no ducker either 

12 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

I was going to point at Trump as my answer. Then realised he doesn't do two hours of work never mind two days.

So we should be thankful for small mercies, that Johnson is only slightly less of a buffoon than his counterpart across the pond.

I don't agree. 

Trump is Jordan Henderson in his work ethic compared to the Anya like efforts of Boris.

That's not an endorsement of either man, btw.

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

Now, now. Don't go calling people stupid. You'll have all the brexiteers getting paranoid, thinking you're talking about them.

I'm a brexiteer.  I don't think I'm stupid.  

19 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Boris is the best PM we've ever had.  

Archived